mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Canfield Bros N9 test ride in NC?

Hey folks,

I'm going to be building an AM SS 29er soon and narrowed the frame down to either the Trans. Trans Am or the Canfield Bros. Nimble 9. I test rode a large Trans Am at Epic in Black Mountain the other day but Id like to hop on an N9 to size it. This will be my first 29er and I got no clue what size I need. I'm only 5'9" but I have a long reach. I ride a large Nomad now and it fits me fine.

Would anyone with either a large or medium N9 be willing to meet me for a parking lot test ride either in the Asheville area or Charlotte. I live in the Charlotte area(Waxhaw) but I'm relocating to Asheville and will be up there next Sunday-Wednesday for some stuff. Thanks

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I'm in the middle of building a Canfield Yelli-Screamy size XL. Wheels but no tires yet, (I could throw some on) and yer welcome to check stand-over hight, I think its close to the N9 in geometry. Best I can do, maybe someone else has one built but theyre pretty rare around here. Also check with Billy Goat Bikes in Asheville, they're the local dealer.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am currently in the middle of building a large Nimble 9. I'm waiting on money to finish it... I bought the frame from Billy Goat and its sitting on the wall in there along with my pink i9s and fork. I should have the money to finish it in about a month if you are still interested then. I would have no problem letting you take it for a test ride if you'd like.

My frame is the first Nimble 9 they've sold and there has been one or two Yelli Screamys that've been sold. One of which I'm guessing might be FatTieGoose's. So yeah, there aren't too many floating around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, definitely. That would be awesome. It will be at least that long before Im ready to start building mine. I really like the N9's sliding dropouts and the fact that it can run big tires(2.4's). Pretty sure Im going with that frame but I have no clue what size I need. I might go into Billygoat and see what the low down is on frames and whatnot. Let me know when you get it built up. Thanks man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, the sliding dropouts are the reason I went with the Nimble instead of the Yelli. I've been wanting a SS for a long time. I will definitely let you know when it's done but I do tend to be forgetful so just send me a PM in a month or so to remind me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    There are a ton of those in town, but I can recommend just doing a medium at 5'9. I am 6'2 and can ride either the large or the XL pretty comfortably. All the ones I have ridden have been the first generation, so I am not sure if they changed the geometry.

Compared to the trans am, the canfield is lighter and not as stiff. Again, they may have addressed that on the new ones.

Let me add that I prefer smaller frames usually, as I like to hop around, and currently ride an XL rig and a large krampus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusSommers View Post
    and a large krampus.
    Let me threadjack How do you like the Krampus? I am thinking about have Scott Quiring build be a 29er plus frame.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Canfield doesn't use stocking dealers. They are consumer direct or they sell to most shops in a non-exclusive manner, just FYI. I ride a large Yelli Screamy and it is the best hardtail 29er I've ridden to date. There are some funky things with their geometry and component fitment that I don't love but the thing rides so well I over look the crazy tight chain ring clearance issues. It needs a single ring drive train badly, I need a granny gear, so alas...

The Nimble actually has a tighter reach than the Yelli by 12mm so take that into consideration. If you like a long reach avoid the medium and go large.

I'd love to build one of their bikes for a customer - I had brands to chose from as I work in a shop but chose the Canfield based on budget and ride quality. Notice how even Niner is trying to get on the AM 29er train... they still missed the mark though! Canfield makes a great product and has great customer service. Enjoy! These things steer and carve like a mountain bike should.
    My one says BRAP!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    There are some funky things with their geometry and component fitment that I don't love but the thing rides so well I over look the crazy tight chain ring clearance issues. It needs a single ring drive train badly, I need a granny gear, so alas...
    I'm up against the same with my YelliScreamy, what set-up did you solve this with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    I'm up against the same with my YelliScreamy, what set-up did you solve this with?
    TBH I'm just running it with the tight clearances and keeping a close watch on it. I'm running a XT 38/24 set up. I wish they just made a 36 chain ring for the crank. I played around with outboard cup spacers until I got it as good as I could. Knock on wood no issues yet. I've been riding it through the summer, definitely not riding as much as I normally do so take it for what that's worth. Tech at Canfield suggested crank spindle spacers but that effectively does the same thing as a BB cup spacer. I'd love to throw down for a Sram X0 drive train but, you know, it's expensive! I don't like the idea of their micro drive because I like my Chris Kings/I9s way too much.
    My one says BRAP!