Thread: Candler?

We de MAMMY NUNS!

Candler?

Hi, All:

You may remember a while back (or not) that my family is considering a move to the Asheville area. Well, we're planning on picking it up and moving there in early to mid 2007. I've been looking at housing prices and Candler seems to be the closest, really inexpensive market to Asheville. I was visiting there earlier this year and one person said the school district was less than desirable, but the area was OK. Another person with whom I work said his sister lived there for a couple years and absolutely loved it. So, I'm here to beg you for your opinions of the area. Septic systems don't bother me as much as a bad school zone. Feel free to PM me or e-mail if you'd rather give a negative response in private. I really appreciate your responses the last time I asked for information and I thank you all in advance for helping us out again. My e-mail is todd.waltman AT gmail DOTCOM. Thanks, again.

Todd (looking forward to some Frank on Friday mornings!!)

p.s. All you Zappa lovers out there, I went to see Dweezil (Zappa Plays Zappa) recently and it was absolutely the best concert I've ever seen. I never got to see Frank.
    I've nothing to add....

pronounced may-duh
    If your into riding and want an area some place a bit below the super high Asheville pricing. go a bit south and west of Buncombe county. Look at Mills River Mills river is closer to the Pisgah ranger district trails. I don't know what the schools are like but I'm pretty sure the housing is less than the city of Asheville.

Isn't there that big smelly paper plant in Candler? Or is that Canton? Or are they the same place? I don't get out of my little circle in fletcher very often.

PS Frank on friday is broadcast during the lunch hour 12:00 to 1:00 not in the morning.

mtbr member
    Candler- Buncombe County has no zoning. When you move outside of the city limits, you have to be careful about your neigbhorhood/ors. Some are great wonderful places with either good neighbors or no neighbors. My GF used to live ina great neigbborhood that just got annexed by the city (Enka Lake) and her parents live in area of Candler is wonderful. FWIW, I sometimes work with the school systems in my job and the aforementioned GF parents work at Enka High, which serves Candler. My opinions: elem and high school are great. Middle school is another story. It's very convenient to both BC and Mills River for riding and some places are flat-out beautiful in their vistas.
    There are other areas, however, where people may dump their trash straight down the hill, jam 30 trailers into the least amount of space allowed, be running weird businesses out of their homes, etc. The ghetto of WNC is the trailer park- no stereotypes being made, I've lived in a couple myself. It's just the way it is.
    Finally, right now, getting to Candler from town is the worse traffic in the area- from 5-6pm, you might be stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour-45 minutes, which is as bad as it gets around here. There's a lot of construction going on that might improve this situation- that remains to be seen.
    So Candler has it's good and bad points. Use your own judgement.

Sorry for the rambling answer, but hope it helps.
    Mike

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    Candler is full of hot sweaty rednecks. My co-workers all agree that they are indeed hot, sweaty, and very rednecky. Expensive as it might be, Asheville has the best schooling options.

If you can swing it, I'd stick closer to Asheville. There are some reasonable deals left, but they are rare. West Asheville land is being bought up with the quickness, but its worth a look. I wouldn't give up on Asheville yet.

Word.

mtbr member
    What about Weaverville, or the Bent Creek area? My friend lives in Candler and I'm not a fan.

pronounced may-duh
    From my limited knowelge of the area real estate market, To get somnething cheap you must go outside buncombe and henderson county. This takes you out of the top school districts and out of the cool trendy areas but posibly closer to the best riding spots.

Life is full of trade offs. What's you budget? What's your priority? Price?, schools? riding? Hip social scene? Do you want some acreage or something more urban? Do you want to be with the red necks or the hippy freaks or the bible thumpers or the eco farmers or the yuppies transplants or good old boys? Asheville is not just a city. It represents a very big area!

I moved here for the mountians and the riding. I sold my wife on the idea that the schools would be good and we would live a more comfortable suburban lifestyle (were originaly from new york city). So we ended up in South Buncombe, Fletcher / Arden / Skyland (there all kinda the same place). The Roberson school district is #2 in the entire state! It's very yuppie suburban but with all the Mcmansions going up around me and transplants like me overpaing the prices have shot thru the roof. 200,000 will get you something workable. Not perfect but workable. How does 200,000 sit in your stomach? Warning there are no cool bars and nightlife in south asheville. It mostly soccer moms and supermarkets. Not cool but very family oriented.

In the end I suggest you rent for 1 year and learn the lay of the land. I did and we are very happy where we ended up.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Quote Originally Posted by futuristxen
    Candler is full of hot sweaty rednecks. My co-workers all agree that they are indeed hot, sweaty, and very rednecky. Expensive as it might be, Asheville has the best schooling options.

If you can swing it, I'd stick closer to Asheville. There are some reasonable deals left, but they are rare. West Asheville land is being bought up with the quickness, but its worth a look. I wouldn't give up on Asheville yet.

Word.
    I haven't given up on Asheville. In fact, I'd prefer to stay in town, but I haven't seen many properties with a decent sized lot or enough square footage for the $$. I've been looking every couple of weeks since early this year and the price per sq.ft. has been relatively consistent, which is good. I'm really looking forward to getting out of this huge city and into a better quality of environment!!
    I've nothing to add....

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    What about Weaverville, or the Bent Creek area? My friend lives in Candler and I'm not a fan.
    Bent Creek is definitely on the list. We drove around there for a couple hours and a realtor took us in one place. It looks like a very family friendly area and it's damned close to trails. I rented a bike and the realtor took me for a ride in the Bent Creek trails.

Is there good trail access from Weaverville? It seems a bit far North from the areas which are talked about on this forum. Trail access is a HUGE priority.
    I've nothing to add....

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    From my limited knowelge of the area real estate market, To get somnething cheap you must go outside buncombe and henderson county. This takes you out of the top school districts and out of the cool trendy areas but posibly closer to the best riding spots.

Life is full of trade offs. What's you budget? What's your priority? Price?, schools? riding? Hip social scene? Do you want some acreage or something more urban? Do you want to be with the red necks or the hippy freaks or the bible thumpers or the eco farmers or the yuppies transplants or good old boys? Asheville is not just a city. It represents a very big area!

I moved here for the mountians and the riding. I sold my wife on the idea that the schools would be good and we would live a more comfortable suburban lifestyle (were originaly from new york city). So we ended up in South Buncombe, Fletcher / Arden / Skyland (there all kinda the same place). The Roberson school district is #2 in the entire state! It's very yuppie suburban but with all the Mcmansions going up around me and transplants like me overpaing the prices have shot thru the roof. 200,000 will get you something workable. Not perfect but workable. How does 200,000 sit in your stomach? Warning there are no cool bars and nightlife in south asheville. It mostly soccer moms and supermarkets. Not cool but very family oriented.

In the end I suggest you rent for 1 year and learn the lay of the land. I did and we are very happy where we ended up.
    I hear you on trade-offs. I think we'll be in the $250,000ish range, so we should be able to find something decent. I'm moving there for the same reasons, plus fishing and bluegrass! I used to live in Baltimore and hiked most of the AT from Northern VA to mid PA. There's something about that mountain range -- it's almost spiritual for me. I miss it badly.

I don't think I want to be around rednecks. Good ol' boys at heart are OK as are the rest. I would say yuppified hippies in moderation are our preference .

How do you like the area where you live?
    I've nothing to add....

mtbr member

250K will get you..

The Bent Creek residential area is well within that price range...a friend just sold a place for 220k in Bent Creek. There are several houses for sale in the BC area right now.
    Another option is near Warren Wilson College( the area i live in) which is about 10 minutes east of Asheville with a little bit of ride from your house trails but not much. It is still only 20 min. drive to some of the good stuff.
    Im a 3rd generation from WNC and i would reccomend NOT Candler,Canton,Waynesville area.
    South Asheville is turning into anywhere USA ..imo..
    School District is Reynolds or Owen with Reynolds being the largest district in the area and the school is good..Owen is so..so

pronounced may-duh
    250K gives you a ton of options. 250K will get you 2,000 or more SF of 5-20 year old house in a nice neighborhood (not super trendy and not well to do exclusive but nothing bad either) on a 1/2 acre lot. At that price range you really have a lot of options.

I love living in south Asheville. My house was 238K when I bought it 2 years ago. It's 2,500SF (some is in a finished basement). The house was 20yrs old but had all new siding and a new roof. It sits on 1/2 acre in a very nice subdivision with lots of trees. We even have a fantastic view of a pasture and the mountains (until they start building behind us). I've got the 2 car garage, big deck, dog house, tree house for the kids, even a fish pond with a waterfall.

Like Thad said south Asheville is turning into anywhere USA. But thats part of the reason I like it. I'm from one of the biggest cities and simple suburban creature comforts score big points with me. Like being able to park at the supermarket and not sitting in traffic and good schools and little league games. I've got three small children to raise. I've already done the cool city thing to death.

South Asheville is like pleasantville. And who wouldn't want to raise their kids in pleasantville? But no bars, no counter culture, no gritty urbanism, very few original ideas. When I want that I go out for an evening in downtown Asheville and get drunk with the freaks and hipsters.

No gigantic farm tracts of land to build your romantic Eco farm on either. I think when I retire I'll buy a farm way out in the sticks and live a romantic version of farm life with the good old boys. I'm also crazy for the blue grass music and my few experiences with moonshine have been very pleasant. But who knows if they will have me. They say once a Yankee always and Yankee!

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    ...even a fish pond with a waterfall.
    Sweet! Can I fish in your pond?

That's the kind of neighborhood we'd like. How far are you from and how long does it take you to get to downtown? What are the major cross-roads so I can look at it on a map. Thanks for your input here.
    I've nothing to add....

pronounced may-duh
    I'm off Mills Gap Rd Very close to Cane Creek Rd. Far enough from Hendersonville rd to be out of the major traffic paterns but not so far that it's a pain in the rear when you want a loaf of bread and a stick of butter. This is outside the city limits but inside Buncombe county. We consider oursleves residents of Fletcher even though Fletcher is across the border into Henderson County. My school district is Roberson. My 7 year old goes to Glen Arden elementary. Glen Arden and Estes are the both in the Roberson district and are considered the best.

Our fish pond is the size of a bath tub and the waterfall runs on electricity. Plenty of koi and a few frogs. There are some hillbillies down the road that have damned a stream and made a real fishin pond. I see all kinds of people fishin over there.

Pack Square in Downtown Asheville is 20min in the car.
    Bent creek trails are also about 20min
    Mills river and Davidson river trails are 30 min
    Blue ridge parkway is 10min

Moving to Asheville has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Dude your gonna love it here! Whatever part of town you end up in. It's all pretty good in my eyes.

I still suggest you rent a cheap apartment for 1 year and figure it all out.

Not to put a "damper" on the subject but as far as employment potential goes, I would make sure that is covered. The job scene in Asheville can be quite limiting, particularly if you are in a "technical" field with the exception of the medical field. If you have that covered then you will be set...............good luck.....
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=3]"Roll your own......." [SIZE=1]Smokebikes.com[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    I'm off Mills Gap Rd Very close to Cane Creek Rd. Far enough from Hendersonville rd to be out of the major traffic paterns but not so far that it's a pain in the rear when you want a loaf of bread and a stick of butter. This is outside the city limits but inside Buncombe county. We consider oursleves residents of Fletcher even though Fletcher is across the border into Henderson County. My school district is Roberson. My 7 year old goes to Glen Arden elementary. Glen Arden and Estes are the both in the Roberson district and are considered the best.

Our fish pond is the size of a bath tub and the waterfall runs on electricity. Plenty of koi and a few frogs. There are some hillbillies down the road that have damned a stream and made a real fishin pond. I see all kinds of people fishin over there.

Pack Square in Downtown Asheville is 20min in the car.
    Bent creek trails are also about 20min
    Mills river and Davidson river trails are 30 min
    Blue ridge parkway is 10min

Moving to Asheville has been one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Dude your gonna love it here! Whatever part of town you end up in. It's all pretty good in my eyes.

I still suggest you rent a cheap apartment for 1 year and figure it all out.
    Thanks a bunch!
    I've nothing to add....

Official Cooler Inspector
    Since Gabe didn't mention a "house in Bent Creek" - can we assume it is FSBO Old News?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

candler

Be careful - Candler is where Reid Pichard lives. That guy is a tool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    My place in east Asheville (Beverly Hills sub) is for sale, $249,900. A great area and Haw Creek schools.

Our place has a full finished basement that we use as an office and playroom/bonus area, but could be a nice apartment, as it has full kithen, bath and seperate entrance.

Let me know if you're interested!