Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

A Canadian in NC:

Getting so impatient as I am looking out my window to 2 plus feet of snow and -20c temps. Mid march my race team is heading down for a week of Brevards best riding. I searched for a while but just had a few basic questions. the trails are know by one of the team so I'm not asking about what to ride.

Ticks, is there any issues with ticks in the area or that time of year.

What type of weather is to be expected in march? Cold doesn't scare me lol.

Thin side walled tires a no no? I run tubeless.

Get to try out my new to me I9/crest wheels. nice to know they are close by if I wreck them!

Thanks

mtbr member
    No ticks period. It maybe cold and wet, as in 30f and rain. Or it could be rather pleasant. Chances are you will get several inches of rain while you are here. Snow and ice are very possible but doubtful. You can ride the snow, but ice is mean.

Thin walled tires don't get much love around here, but it depends on what and how you ride. It is slick with lots of roots. Rocks are prevalent in Pisgah and parts at of DuPont. I run Minions with a strong side wall, but I am not in the majority.

Have fun.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    No issues with ticks in March IME. Still too cold at night.

Trails in March can be greatly affected by a freeze-thaw cycle where the trail will freeze solid at night, then when it thaws trails can become unexpectedly and unpleasantly muddy. This is an avoidable problem by 1) riding in the early morning when trails are still frozen and/or 2) choosing trails that are not totally made up of red clay. Avoid Bent Creek, lower Mills River, Cove Creek, Long Branch, lower Bennett(drop Coontree instead), Reasonover at DuPont, and a few others. There's a ton of great riding where most freeze-thaw can be avoided.

Or it might snow. Or never freeze at night and be 70 during the day. Or rain non-stop. Or a constant 44 degrees and overcast. March is unpredictable. Again though, great riding will be available.

I would not recommend thin-walled, non tubeless/ tubeless ready tires set-up tubeless. Thicker walled conversions or tires designed for tubeless use are the norm for riders here.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I picked a tick off of my wife last Jan 15th after a trail run. Also found a tick on my dog the first week of Feb. the year before. I'm a veterinarian- I see ticks all year long. A couple of 50 degree days, and they're out. Yeah, we got ticks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks.the Team has been down before and said they usually get lucky on the rain.

I will bring my snake skin ralphs. Get to test my legs on my 1x10. Im acctually looking forward to long climbs. Good traing to kick off the season. Longest climb around me is about 10min-15min long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Best thing to do when your out is just check yourself for ticks after you ride/hike or whatever. They always seem to settle in on my waist band. If its warm enough all the bugs will start coming out so it just depends. March can be unpredictable so pack your bag with stuff for 30deg and snow, or 65deg and sun with everything in between.

Whats nuts is I would love to go ride in Canada and ya'll are coming here. Guess I take for granted how great the riding is around here.

Make sure to drink plenty of good beer while your here!

Rogue Exterminator
    Although less likely to find ticks in March, it is not impossible.
    However, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Even if you happen to get one that happens to be infected, it still usually takes at least 24 hours for it to transmit a disease.

Weather?
    Who knows. Could be warm, could be cold, could be wet, could be dry, could be snow.
    Trails may be good, trails may be slop. All we can do is tell you the norm and the norm is that it is completely unpredictable. Record high for Asheville in March is 87F and record low is 4F so it is safe to assume that it will most likely be between there.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    I got bitten here last year in April. I'm lolling at the nonchalant attitude towards them as I. Missed over a month of work with Lyme disease which also gave me meningitis. I used to not concern myself with ticks either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do they dig in right away? I plan on spending alot of time checking for them afterwards.

I might even shave down abit for the trip, hopefully I can still be manly after.

Canada has great riding. But all the real mountains are in bc/alberta. Ontario has some really nice terrain but its hard to find a single trail or climb that you can base a day around.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    I got bitten here last year in April. I'm lolling at the nonchalant attitude towards them as I. Missed over a month of work with Lyme disease which also gave me meningitis. I used to not concern myself with ticks either.
    The nonchalant attitude is probably because we all probably pick up several ticks every year and the majority of us don't get Lyme. Only deer ticks carry Lyme Disease, and supposedly less than 5% of them from Maryland down are actually infected with LD.

You just drew the short straw. Yeah, it could happen to anyone though.

Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Do they dig in right away? I plan on spending alot of time checking for them afterwards.
    They don't.
    They can bite pretty quick but it takes a little time for them to really dig in.

Everyone I have found from cycling has been on my legs and never past the chamois.

There are also repellents you can use that work fairly well.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Def not saying to be scared of it. Just that I had never paid it much attention and it can happen to anyone.

Big Mac

A Canadian in NC:

I consider myself to be pretty tough. My friends and family think I am too. I doubt I could get sick from such a small bug. I'm not saying that YOU can't. Just that I probably won't.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Yeah, it could happen to anyone though.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    it can happen to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I consider myself to be pretty tough. My friends and family think I am too. I doubt I could get sick from such a small bug. I'm not saying that YOU can't. Just that I probably won't.
    I guess we stand corrected.

It could happen to anyone except Mark.

Big Mac

A Canadian in NC:

I guess we stand corrected.

It could happen to anyone except Mark.
    It's not so much that I can't as it is that I won't.

banned
    Aug 2013
    It's not so much that I can't as it is that I won't.

Leave it to you to ruin a positive thread, not good Slowpitch.

Big Mac

A Canadian in NC:

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch on 1206 View Post

Leave it to you to ruin a positive thread, not good Slowpitch.
    Suck it punk. How did I ruin the positivity of the thread rug rat? You're a curious little troll. A little humor does a body good. You should let some light in, you grumpy little thing you. It could only help.

mtbr member
    In the summer, those little bastards are all over the place at Croft. I always have to check myself. I have gotten lots of bites, but so far no Lyme disease.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    Name:  deer+popcorn.gif
Views: 421
Size:  273.6 KB

Big Mac

A Canadian in NC:

Name:  deer+popcorn.gif
Views: 421
Size:  273.6 KB
    Seems little sassysquat only pops in to whine on occasion and then runs back into his troll hole. I reckon the shows over. My apologies to the OP. Fear not the tick.

Rogue Exterminator
    Name:  TheTick-spoon.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  137.7 KB

mtbr member
    The crest would not be my first choice for Pisgah, but it's very dependent on riding style, skill level, and rider weight. I'm low on the first two so I prefer pig tires and rims - damn the torpedoes!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was wondering about the crest. They are I9 built. Im itching to ride my new wheels. I will bring my crappy infernos as well as I cant seem to kill them.

Im 175 and ride pretty smooth. Bad new rigt now is my flash 29er has a crack in the toptube seat post joint amd I am hoping cannondale will get me a new one before I leave. I know a FS is ideal there but I dont want to rent some pig of a bike amd not have fun. I this becomes a yearly trip for my team I will look into a decent trail bike for next year.

mtbr member
    You could likely find a non-pig f/s bike there are a few shops renting now, 2 in Pisgah Forest proper. I know and ride with guys that ride XC geometry carbon racers - I would hate it, but they do just fine on them.

The crest, built by i9 or not is still a XC rim and much of what we ride here falls outside of that category. At the end of the day if your concern in going fast uphill and taking choice lines on the descents, you'll be fine with everything mentioned, good luck and have fun!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the pointers! New frame on the way for me. 5 weeks and counting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Heading out for the 14h drive in 30 min! Cant wait to get there.

If you see a bunch of sausage suit riders that are sporting Canadian colours, say hi.

Leave the laughing untill after we leave!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast