mtbr member

Camping Powhatan vs. North Mills?

Looking at these two campgrounds, both which have riding opportunities. If you have been to both or one, can you make any recommendations?

I have ridden bent creek a few times (been a year or two) but have not camped. I love the trails there.

Seems maybe a bit crowded, but lots to do. I have wife, 2 teenage boys and a 3 year old boy coming. It looks like there is more to do at Powhatan, but that North Mills may be quieter. I read that you can tube in the river at North Mills, is that correct?

As for riding, I will be riding in the mornings. I have not ridden any of the trails from North Mills...

So, any recommendations?

Thanks,

John
    On One Summer Season Single Speed

Big Mac

Camping Powhatan vs. North Mills?

North mills has better riding opportunities. At least closer better opportunities. Bent Creek is just the other side of the parkway from north mills and everything on the NM side can be reached from BC. I think the BC campground is nicer/cleaner and it has a lake and is closer to Asheville. North mills river itself is a lovely river and can be tubed. Tough call.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You can't go wrong with either. NM is close to Hendersonville, and Pisgah Forest. With BC being close to Asheville. Right now the tubing might be a little dicey......we have set a record of 40 inches of rain in the first half of the year. July has had 10 inches. Might be too much water for tubing at NM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Never stayed at NM but love Powhatan. Going there this weekend. Tough call.

Official Cooler Inspector
    If the weather turns on you - Mills is a bit isolated for extra-curricular family activities. There are many, many options close to Powhatan - even a cheap movie theater. If tubing is important to the trip, there's a roadside outfitter a mile south on 191. (I like boats and know nothing about this place. It is currently closed due to high water levels.)
    Zen Tubing - Asheville, NC** Tube rentals and River tubing trips down the French Broad River in Asheville, NC. Get in Touch with Your Inner Tube.
    JF:That's the bootleg I have been looking for my whole life!

mtbr member
    Thank you so much guys! conversations with the wife confirmed that the experience at North Mills was what she was after, which suits me just fine. So we are booked. Really looking forward to this little mini vacation in a few weeks. Can't wait to ride some Pisgah trails... I might have to make a diversion over to Bent Creek because I really enjoy those trails too. Thanks again and especially for jumping on it so quickly. It is amazing how many sites have been booked since just earlier this afternoon.

John

mtbr member
    It's about a 30 - 45 minute ride from one to the other on gravel. Less if you take a car.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone for the input! I am excited about riding this area, because while I have ridden DuPont and bent creek a few times I have not been in this area. Also I booked this trip for me, my 18 year old and his buddy....

Upper Green River Adventure | Green River Adventures

Ready for this little vacation like you have no... well you may have an idea, but let's just say I am ready for a break!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I would not go tubing right now, especially w/ a 3 yr old.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    I would not go tubing right now, especially w/ a 3 yr old.
    Will definitely proceed with caution. North Mills river looks to be not that bad, but we'll definitely use our heads, thanks.

John

mtbr member
    Hey - just wanted to follow up with a quick report. We really enjoyed North Mills. My 18 year old and his buddy had a great time hiking several trails, my 3 year old and I had a blast tubing and swimming in the river. It was cold but completely manageable. We had great fun at the campground, sat in on some ranger led programs and olunged about quite a bit.

I got in two mornings of riding. Did a section of yellow gap (?), north mills river, lower trace, wash creek, trace ridge, spencer branch and also spencer gap. I have to say that trace ridge and spencer gap provided me with sections that were beyond my technical ability. No worries, I carry the bike just fine :-). the section of yellow gap that I rode (up from fsr 1206 and then down to north mills river), on the down hill was very muddy and had me off the bike several times to either save trail or to keep me upright :-)

The climb up trace ridge was "fun" and had several sections that I could not climb. Not so much from a fitness level as from the technical nature of serious water erosion. Same went for Spencer Branch... just beyond my technical ability I am afraid. So wound up off the bike a lot, especially on that first section of downhill...

This was an important thing for me to find out, I guess. Years ago, I would have relished attempting those sections mentioned above. Now I find myself (age?) enjoying the "fun" trails where a mistake is not potentially life threatening...

I love the fact that there are folks out there who love riding this stuff. I think, however, that I am going to stick to Dupont and Bent Creek the next time I come out :-)

John