Thread: Camping on 477

mtbr member

Camping on 477

Can anyone share experiences camping in the marked [AC1-9] campsites?

I am particularly interested in AC-7, the one "across" the river. Is the stone dam walkable, or is wading the only way to portage equipment across.

What are the chances/likelihood of someone stealing one's equipment while on a ride or hike?

Last time I stayed in DR area, I stayed at the campground, $10 a night [old timers discount ]. It is secure but was really a pain Friday night when the families and kids arrived. Showers were nice though .
    mike

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with the numbering... what I can tell you is that 477 is notorious for drive-by tent shopping. This problem is typically worse in the 'seasons' when more tourists are in town - like now during leaf season. While the usual MO is to only steal easy to use or pawn stuff like cameras or gadgets even your nice gear can go missing.

Other than tents and chairs and your bulky stuff I'd put everything else in the car/truck and out of site every time I left the campsite.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    I'm not familiar with the numbering... what I can tell you is that 477 is notorious for drive-by tent shopping. This problem is typically worse in the 'seasons' when more tourists are in town - like now during leaf season. While the usual MO is to only steal easy to use or pawn stuff like cameras or gadgets even your nice gear can go missing.

Other than tents and chairs and your bulky stuff I'd put everything else in the car/truck and out of site every time I left the campsite.

Thanks,

AC-7 is about half way to the stables from turning off 276 and on the left. 477 is presently gated at the horse barn so through traffic is nonexistent. With the river crossing to access the campsite, maybe no one would be interested in putting that much effort into snooping around.

I probably will stay at the campground but it would be nice to not have neighbors
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047
    Thanks,

AC-7 is about half way to the stables from turning off 276 and on the left. 477 is presently gated at the horse barn so through traffic is nonexistent. With the river crossing to access the campsite, maybe no one would be interested in putting that much effort into snooping around.

I probably will stay at the campground but it would be nice to not have neighbors
    Desperate times call for desperate measures and in general it's worse during downtimes like now... It's probably a very small % of folks who ever have a problem but when it's you that's little comfort. And BTW - through traffic now means turning around in the stable lot. I've witnessed some pretty sketchy looking vehicles do the turnaround while I'm @ my car before/after a ride.

Have you ever tried camping out at Daniel Ridge? There is a lot more people traffic, but the large 'general parking' area makes it hard for someone to connect campsite to vehicle and thus know if you are near or far from your tent. There are some nice campsite within an easy walk from the lot.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Where is the parking, at the end of 816?
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047
    Where is the parking, at the end of 816?
    past cove creek group camp, over the next bridge and there is a lot on your immediate right. There are campsites from the bridge you just crossed all the way upstream of the bridge behind the gate.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    past cove creek group camp, over the next bridge and there is a lot on your immediate right. There are campsites from the bridge you just crossed all the way upstream of the bridge behind the gate.
    Thanks,

I will go look it over.
    mike