Thread: Build Advice...

XC Champion
    May 2006

Build Advice...

I just got my build kit for my new Transition Dirtbag frame complete with Marzocchi 66vf2 fork and Truvativ DH cranks. Since this is the first bike I have built, does anyone have any advice on things to watch out for? The headset is already pressed in and I will probably get the BB installed by one of our local shops.

Also, they sent 2.6 tires which seem awfully large compared to the 2.1s I've been riding. Can someone tell me what the positives/negatives are of larger tires? Harder to climb?

Thanks!

pronounced may-duh
    Hydraulic discs can be a pain to set up and blead properly. there is always some tiny part or special tool that you will need. Like a ferrule or a good pair of cable cutters. Make sure youv'e got it working right before you set out on an epic ride and get stuck. Don't strip the bolt heads with lousy wrenches and bad techniques.

2.6 tires will be very heavy on the climbs but give lotsa traction and cush and rim protection for the narly downhills.

mtbr member
    Damn, 2.6's. I'm running some Kenda 2.35's and while they have excellent grip I definitely notice the weight difference and added rolling resistance from 2.1's. The upside to using larger tires is that I have had significantly fewer flats. When my Kendas wear out I am thinking of trying some Specialized Enduro Pro D2 2.20's, heard great things about them.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Damn, 2.6's.
    My thoughts exactly when I first opened the box. Oh well I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice though...

mtbr member
    Yeah, give them a try, you might actually like using a bigger tire. You will notice a definite improvement in traction cornering and at higher speeds as well as having less flats. That's a fair trade for the added weight.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]