Kaishingo

Briar Chapel Directions?

I'm coming down to the Chapel Hill area over Thanksgiving and was debating about bringing the bikes. From what I can tell from the TORC site, it looks like Briar Chapel is only about 4-5 miles from where my mom lives in Governor's Park. However, what I can't tell from that site are: 1. Is the trail even open for riding? and 2. I see it's in a development, but can you drive/park there?

The other ride I saw is Carolina North - a bit further away, so not sure if there's enough time to sneak over with Thanksgiving and all, but again, where to you park? The directions sort of just drop you off on the side of a road (or is that where you park?)

Thanks for any info - it's always a big debate about traveling with the bikes and whether the local trails are worth the hassle and crappy mpgs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Try trianglemtb.com/yabbse for the latest on the trails. I won't say whether it is worth it or not but it is relatively flat, fairly twisty, probably 10miles(+/-) at either place with a little bit of doubling up on some of the trails.

mtbr member
    Hi wuzilla,

Both trails are great, but you would be best served with a guide for either one. Carolina North has more mileage (~20 miles) to it and can get confusing. Briar Chapel has about 8 miles right now, with about 15-20 total as the future plan. It sits in a residential neighborhood that's still being developed, so that can make it a little confusing to find your way around. Plus there isn't a trailhead yet, so we park next to the clubhouse and pool and pedal over to the singletrack.

What I would recommend is to post up your details where 2morrow recommended, on http://www.trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php. See if someone will take you out and show you around either Briar Chapel or Chapel Hill. I'm guessing someone will. Folks here are always up for a ride.

You can also check out TORC's popular Meetup page to see if a ride is happening that weekend.:

www.meetup.com/torc-nc

For more info about the two trails, check out:

http://www.torc-nc.org/trails/carolina-north-forest/ (Carolina North/Chapel Hill Trails)

http://www.torc-nc.org/trails/briar-chapel/ (Briar Chapel Trails)

Both trail systems should be open barring any rain.

mtbr member
    I would add that coming from Governor's Park, Harris Lake might be worth checking out as well. If I'm around that weekend, I'd be glad to show you around any trail system that you decide to go to.
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I should be in town over the Thanksgiving weekend - shoot me a message if you'd like a tour around Carolina North. The last few years there have been some group rides organized that weekend, and Carolina North is usually one of the targets. Check out trianglemtb.com to see if that crew also assembles (and I will probably be joining them).

mtbr member
    wuzilla,

If you do want to ride Harris Lake, send me a PM. I live a few minutes away and will be around that weekend.

--Pete