mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Bradley Creek??????

Did alot of riding this past weekend with my wife, all trails were in pretty good shape with the exception of Bradley Creek. Never done this trail before so we added it into a big loop, the section from FS 1206 to the intersection with Laurel Creek was way overgrown and in bad shape and we could not find a single blaze anywhere.

Is this section ridden anymore?? all of the other trails were good but this section had us pondering at times if we missed a turn off. Any thoughts??

mtbr member
    If your feet were wet, you were in the right place. Welcome to Pisgah.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

Official Cooler Inspector
    If your feet were dry and you had to do a big hike that caused you to cuss, you made a wrong turn.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

mtbr member
    I rode it a few weeks ago for the first time ever. It now falls in my list of trails to avoid. Not overly difficult, but getting off your bike to cross the creek loses its thrill somewhere around the 15th time. At least it keeps you cool on a hot day.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My first ride in Pisgah was on Bradley Creek. That was the last time I was on that trail. 2008ish. if I ever feel the need to get wet again, that trail is at the top of my list. Thought the same thing when I was on it though.
    Last edited by bd279; 07-25-2012 at 05:44 AM.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    In the spring I rode Bradley a bit so that I could ride Vineyard and Riverside for the first time, then on to Squirrel. Vineyard was good, but should definitely be an out'n'back b/c Riverside and Bradley were as wet and sloppy as expected and what used to be a nice, narrow and overgrown section of easternmost Squirrel has been ruined with widening and grooming. Too bad.

mtbr member
    From Yellow Gap (near start of Laurel Mountain trailhead) > 5015 (Bradley Creek Rd) > Laurel Creek 348 > Squirrel Gap 147 > Bradley Creek 351 > up 5015 back to start is a nice loop when conditions are very dry. Bradley Creek can be a mud pit after a heavy rain. Another option is to start by taking 1206 down to Bradley Creek trail 351 down to Laurel Creek 348, then at the end of ride take 5015 back to start.
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ok, maybe some have missed the question...... We did not mind the stream crossings, in fact we have rode Pisgah for years and have done just about EVERY trail with the exception of bradley creek.

What I was looking for was the fact that all of the blazes were gone and it has no sign posted at the 1206 side of the trail, that with the overall trail condition made us wonder if it is still a used trail.

Thanks though for all of you who have given viable information

drunken pirate
    Yes, it is still a currently open and designated trail. And it is used quite a bit. The signs have been stolen/removed/vandalized/whatever on the 1206 side. The 1206 trail head used to be just up the road from the #9 campsite, the trail still exists there but current speculation based on the most recent #780 map edition indicates the end of the trail being at the campsite (the sign there used to clearly state "To Bradley Creek" and was signed no bikes).

That being said, at times the trail can be a little hard to follow. Some blazes are there but might be hard to see. The map is right.

Bradley Creek from 1206 to 5015 is one my absolute favorite stretches of trail in the PRD. Beauty defined.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the info!

It was the last part of a big loop we did starting at FS 476, so all of the stream crossings were a nice touch since it was warm. Only bad part of the loop was those pesky bee's on Squirrel gap, one got my wife in the foot.....