mtbr member

Black Mountain / Old Fort Area: Any rides in this area?

Trying to decide if I take the roadie or the 29er to Black Mountain this week and my preference is clear..

I don't have to drive to the other side of Asheville for some good single tracks do I? I've heard there is a trail in Montreat and maybe another near/around Old Fort. Any truth?

Help a GA boy educated in NC plan his WNC riding time? Thanks!
    ~Cadillac
    Iconic, Fat and Slow. - Not in that order.
    Bikes:
    ***'03 Marin Quad (Fully Squishy)
    ***Giant CFR (Road)

thecentralscrutinizer
    Could check with these folks. Bike Sales | Bicycle Rentals | Rides | Epic Cycles | Black Mountain NC

There are some nice trails in the area. Road riding is worth it too IMO.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    You could ride the Jerdon Mtn. Challenge course:

JMC: Map

That gives you about 30 miles with about half road and half trail.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Hilarious! I was just looking at that site, Mike. :-) Kitsuma is coming up a lot too...

I've been going to Montreat / Black Mountain for years and always wondered if anyone ever rode up Greybeard. Is it allowed?

Where is the state with deer season now. Has it already started?
    ~Cadillac
    Iconic, Fat and Slow. - Not in that order.
    Bikes:
    ***'03 Marin Quad (Fully Squishy)
    ***Giant CFR (Road)

mtbr member
    Greybeard is absolutely hiking only; in fact, Montreat has contacted PAS in the past to ask them to pass the word to discourage poaching of it and other trails under their management.

The only open route to mtb's out of Montreat is Rainbow>Old Toll Road, but it's a pretty awesome choice by itself. I still miss Trestle, which used to be an option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Greybeard is absolutely hiking only; in fact, Montreat has contacted PAS in the past to ask them to pass the word to discourage poaching of it and other trails under their management.

The only open route to mtb's out of Montreat is Rainbow>Old Toll Road, but it's a pretty awesome choice by itself. I still miss Trestle, which used to be an option.
    Thanks Mr. Brown. I'll put that one on the list which looks like a point-to-point ride?

This site looks like a winner for at least one ride: Kitsuma Mountain Bike Trail, Black Mountain, NC

Best from SORBA Woodstock!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post

Where do you pick this up? Does this take you up to Heartbreak? Isn't there an old two-track that takes you to the top of HBR?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Go into Montreat during business hours, including Saturday. Turn onto Lookout Road just before the lake. There's a little wooden cabin on the left with maps and stuff. You will be parking at the Lookout trailhead further up the road; there's a steel gate signed Rainbow Road. Take Rainbow up. After a hard left, take another hard left. You will have a hard climb, then two forks in the trail; stay left at the first fork, at the second fork both ways take you the same place. At said place, follow the sign for Old Toll Road, the other trails at this intersection are not open to bikes. Keep following this past wooden signs for Rattlesnake trail, Adventure trail, helipad- these all go down into Ridgecrest and are open to bikes, but that's another ride. You've been climbing for a while now. There will be a short descent, followed by another short climb, then you come to another metal gate.

From here, it's a mess of unsigned intersections and old toll road does keep going...but it's closed to mtb's from 10/1-1/1 for bear hunting. Private property, they sure are nice to let us ride it for the other 9 months of the year. Turn around at the metal gate for a ripping fast dh back to the car.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Awesome! Thanks a bunch. Guess I'll just hit HBR from the BRP then.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
    This site looks like a winner for at least one ride: Kitsuma Mountain Bike Trail, Black Mountain, NC
    Kitsuma won't keep you busy long - the earlier recommendation for the JMC route would be a good way to keep you riding 2.5-5 hours. It'll take you over pavement and gravel Kitsuma, then up a hike-a-bike called Star Gap, down the Star Gap downhill, and then across a long gravel grind back to pavement.

PM me if you want a GPX/KMZ file of the route from that map, I've got one recorded.

mtbr member
    Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks of Star Gap as a hike-a-bike. I think I rode maybe half of it at ORAMM. But it's good fun going the other way.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I had issue with it too. My Niner just didn't have enough of a granny. Although, I did ride more in the race than i did in my pre-ride. Gotta lose some weight and get some more riding time up there.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    Kitsuma won't keep you busy long - the earlier recommendation for the JMC route would be a good way to keep you riding 2.5-5 hours. It'll take you over pavement and gravel Kitsuma, then up a hike-a-bike called Star Gap, down the Star Gap downhill, and then across a long gravel grind back to pavement.

PM me if you want a GPX/KMZ file of the route from that map, I've got one recorded.
    Oh, I bet Kitsuma will be a nice starter ride for me. The elevation change alone will make it a challenge for this low lander. When I come up to the mountains it's just a whole different ball game than ATL or FATS riding. I'll let you know how I fare.

What's a GPX/KMZ file? :-)

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Riding up Star Gap

Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    I had issue with it too. My Niner just didn't have enough of a granny. Although, I did ride more in the race than i did in my pre-ride. Gotta lose some weight and get some more riding time up there.
    I'm in Black Mountain a lot so I've gotten a fair amount of practice in on it. What I've found is that if I grunt it up the switchbacks I blow my heart rate so high that I'm slower on the extended climb at the end. If I drop my ego, hike the turns, spin the segments between, and _then_ put in a Z4ish effort on the climb after the switchbacks, my time's faster.

YMMV.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Thanks. I'll have to try that.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Could check with these folks. Bike Sales | Bicycle Rentals | Rides | Epic Cycles | Black Mountain NC

There are some nice trails in the area. Road riding is worth it too IMO.
    Heh, got my bike from them in 2004. It's still my main ride! Alan is the man, always nice and knowledgable. The shop dog is awesome, too!

mtbr member
    Just have someone drive you to the top of Heartbreak Ridge. It's the best trail in WNC currently.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by plume View Post
    Just have someone drive you to the top of Heartbreak Ridge. It's the best trail in WNC currently.
    So what is the best way to shuttle from Old Fort to the top of HBR on the BRP? Looks like a long-ish drive

mtbr member

Re: Black Mountain / Old Fort Area: Any rides in this area?

Curtiss Cr. Rd. To brp. Turb left. Drive about 7 miles to mile marker 253. Hbr is about 1/4 mile on the left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by durtydurham View Post
    So what is the best way to shuttle from Old Fort to the top of HBR on the BRP? Looks like a long-ish drive

Shuttle? Park your car on Curtis Creek Road. Get on your bike and ride toward the BRP. Turn left onto the BRP. Watch for HBR Trailhead on left.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Shuttle? Park your car on Curtis Creek Road. Get on your bike and ride toward the BRP. Turn left onto the BRP. Watch for HBR Trailhead on left.
    Nothing more fun than a 2 1/2 - 3 hour climb on the road

BMF
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Park at the bottom of Heartbreak.
    Climb Heartbreak.
    Turn around.
    Descend Heartbreak.