mtbr member

Bking in & around Raleigh

Thinking of moving to the Raleigh area. Is there any places to mountain bike and places to ride road bikes on greenways or bike paths?

With the mountain biking we would be looking at beginner type stuff, long flowing trails as opposed to technical mtn biking. Thanks

BMF
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Rogue Exterminator
    Lots of good trails in the Raleigh/Durham area. Even coming from the mountains, I enjoy riding there when visiting family. The locals work hard to put them together and take good care of them.

There is also a fun place in Raleigh that I won't mention because the locals like to pretend it is a secret but everyone knows about it and it won't take you long to find them.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Did some riding at Bent Creek when in Asheville a few years ago however considering all of the mountains in that area, I thought there would be more places to ride.

Glad to hear there are places in the Triangle area since we took Asheville off our list due to housing costs. Would like to live in place where there are mtn trails and some green ways.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Did some riding at Bent Creek when in Asheville a few years ago however considering all of the mountains in that area, I thought there would be more places to ride.
    You must have been walking around with your eyes closed if you don't think there was enough places to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    You must have been walking around with your eyes closed if you don't think there was enough places to ride.
    So there are many other places to ride in that area besides Bent Creek and Dupont?

Rogue Exterminator
    Did you miss all of Pisgah?
    There are other places too besides those that are fun too.

I mean how much riding do you want?

mtbr member
    I did not check out that area and not sure if thta would have worked for us since I am older and need beginner type single track.

We took a trip to Harrisonburg VA once and biked at George Washingto Forest on one of the "so called" easiest trail and it was a killer, at least one way and that was a climb, all the way. That biking area is massive from what I learned at the local bike shop. Perhaps one of the largest areas in the east to mountain bike?

It was really tough but I survived the climb and enjoyed the return downhill portion, other than looking out for the uphill bikers.

There is one place here in NY, Stewart Forest which is adjacent to Stewart Intl. Airport and that place is perfect for my abilities. Over 50 miles of trails, no major climbs and lots of long flowing type single track trails connected by tons of Fire Roads.

There are two other biking areas closer to our house in NY however they are very technical. Lots of climbs, roots and tons of rock gardens. Many bikers love the rocks but certainly not my speed. We did find some nice places for us in VA, specifically in Chesapeake and a place in Charlottesville called Preddy Creek.

Rogue Exterminator
    There is 30-40 miles of trail at DuPont, about the same at Bent Creek, and lot more in Pisgah. Ad a few other small trail systems in the area and I would bet we have over 200 miles of bike legal trail within 30 miles of Asheville.

With what you describe I am surprised you did not find enough trails between DuPont and Bent Creek however (and I mean no offense by this) but Pisgah is not for you. I do however think you would find places like Tsali very enjoyable. It is a little outside of Asheville, very nice trails but not super technical and not a lot of elevation change. Also there is a suggested route so you won't run in to a lot of people going the opposite way.

That all being said, I think you will like what you find in Raleigh but the super secret trails that everyone knows about will probably not be your favorite.

lamer
    You're not going to find anything near 50mi of easy singletrack in/around Raleigh. Sure, there's easy trails that flow, but you'll find maybe 6-7mi at most of that at which trail system you go to. Closet thing you'll probably find is gravel roads in Umstead State Park, or the American Tobacco Trail, which is a ~22mi mostly-paved greenway in Durham. Just based on what you're saying I'm not sure you'd even like Lake Crabtree County Park, which is ~7mi of the easiest singletrack in the area. Raleigh has a greenway system, but it's very fractured and not well maintained.

mtbr member
    I did think there was more riding around the Asheville are and between it being too difficult for us and not finding all of the places to ride, I am not surprised to read your comments regarding all of the possibilites. I was told this area is the biking Mecca of Western Carolina.

We did know about DuPont and wanted to get there but it did not work out. When you have a week and drive from NY with bikes and gea, it does not leave a whole bunch of time to ride, especially when you get some serious rain storms. That in itself really kills the mtn biking options. Also trying to look at places to live eats up a bunch of time.

Thanks for the information it will be helful with our next trip to this area!

mtbr member
    There is also a fun place in Raleigh that I won't mention because the locals like to pretend it is a secret but everyone knows about it and it won't take you long to find them.
    Ha.

Nuh uh. It's super top-secret. Shhhh. (Best trail in the triangle btw)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    You're not going to find anything near 50mi of easy singletrack in/around Raleigh. Sure, there's easy trails that flow, but you'll find maybe 6-7mi at most of that at which trail system you go to. Closet thing you'll probably find is gravel roads in Umstead State Park, or the American Tobacco Trail, which is a ~22mi mostly-paved greenway in Durham. Just based on what you're saying I'm not sure you'd even like Lake Crabtree County Park, which is ~7mi of the easiest singletrack in the area. Raleigh has a greenway system, but it's very fractured and not well maintained.
    Not in Raleigh but not too far away the Bur Mil Park trails in Greensboro can string together that much with minimal road connections and it's all pretty easy/flat. ~1 hr from Raleigh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I took a look at Crabtree Park and it looks like a really great place. The single track is very simple but at least it will be one place for me to ride and get some exercise. Where we live in NY, there are several nearby places to ride however they are very technical. The best place for my abailities is about one hour away, Stewart Forest. The nearest place is Ringwood State Park and it is loaded with rock gardens. You can check it out on You Tube @ Ringwood Single Track (NJ)
    I am sure I will find some places to ride in and about the Triangle area especially since I like men biking as well as biking on pavement. Just not crazy about biking on roads, alongside cars, just not for me.

lamer
    Crabtree and Umstead are right next to each other, so you can ride the singletrack in Crabtree and then ride the gravel roads in Umstead for mileage if you wanted.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    Ha.

Nuh uh. It's super top-secret. Shhhh. (Best trail in the triangle btw)
    And the worst kept secret in the triangle too. haha

They were fun trails. I rode them with a local there a few weeks ago but heard about them a long time ago. When I went, there were a few down trees we cut off the trail and earlier that week you had 4 inches of rain so half the bridges were washed away including one of the big ones but found them all (but one) and replaced them. So you're welcome.

mtbr member
    And the worst kept secret in the triangle too. haha

They were fun trails. I rode them with a local there a few weeks ago but heard about them a long time ago. When I went, there were a few down trees we cut off the trail and earlier that week you had 4 inches of rain so half the bridges were washed away including one of the big ones but found them all (but one) and replaced them. So you're welcome.
    Well thanks for that... But I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Rogue Exterminator
    Probably because you didn't ride there between the storm and when we did.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pretty sure the main reason we keep it off the boards is to try to cut down on the newbies venturing in there and breaking a femur or dislocating a shoulder...again.

Secret amongst mtbers, no. Reluctant to advertise to everyone else casually searching mtb message boards, yes.

Rogue Exterminator
    Hey, I get it but the first thing out of anyone mouth in the Raliegh/Durham area when they find out you bike is "have you been out to _________". So I am sure newbies know where it is no matter what you do.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Thinking of moving to the Raleigh area. Is there any places to mountain bike and places to ride road bikes on greenways or bike paths?

With the mountain biking we would be looking at beginner type stuff, long flowing trails as opposed to technical mtn biking. Thanks
    You're in luck, that is mostly what we have here in the Triangle. Road riding is about the same. There are many groups and shops that offer group rides with multiple paces.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5, custom build
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Sounds great! The biking season will be much longer than here in NY and guess some of the winter months in NC will be great for trail riding if the ground is dry.
    There were no greenways or bike paths in the Asheville area which has led to look in Raleigh.

Hopefully we can get a nice house for the money and be within 20 minutes or so of the downtown area. Thanks!