Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Biking near UNC Asheville

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jerry68 
#1 ·
Tried to post this yesterday but accidentally put it in the 27.5/650b forum:
Hello, I'm a high school senior who has all but decided on UNC Asheville for college. Part of the appeal to me is the amazing trails nearby. However going in as a freshman I will not be able to have a car. I currently ride 4 times a week and would like to continue to do so as I entered college. I went to visit last weekend and was somewhat disappointed by the lack of trails near campus. I ended up riding bent creek which was a blast, but was an 18 min drive. Seeing as that was the closest trail system I could find will it simply be impossible to keep up my riding habits without a car? Are there any other trails within biking distance of campus for a short hour long ride during the weekdays? My graduation present is a new MTB partially because I'm going to such a great area. Now I'm worried I won't be able to use it as much as I'd like.

#4 ·
Richmond Hill is less than a 15 minute bike ride away; it's a pretty easy ride traffic-wise but has one very significant hill. I ride up it 3-4 d/w on my way home from work and it's not that bad, but the hill is there. If Nolan is still the outdoor education guy at UNCA, he knows Richmond Hill very well and can show you the way. There's 4 miles of fun trails that can be linked to ride around for about 50minutes to 1:30, depending on how fast and creative you are and how willing you are to do "laps."

FWIW, Richmond Hill should have new improved signage soon and a map by...mmmm..let's say the end of the summer. The re-route is finally done...

#5 ·
Also you can shave a few miles to get to Bent Creek if you ride through the neighborhood north of Rice Pinnacle Rd. Only about 12 miles of pedaling before you get in to the forest. Not sure what street would have a trail connecting in to Bent Creek but I have seen some some trails that lead in to the development.

#8 ·
Richmond Hill may be your best bet for when you don't have much time, but in addition to that when you have longer, the W2 city bus will get you to Ridgefield Blvd, just past Biltmore Square Mall, and then it's only about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 miles of road to the trails in Bent Creek, depending on where you hop in to the forest. You can literally get to all of Pisgah Ranger District from there so that's huge...think bikepacking weekends :) Put your books on a kindle in a waterproof bag and study while you camp.

The E2 bus will get you to Lower Grassy Branch Road, and from there it's just under 3 miles to the Warren Wilson College trails (via Old Farm School Rd.). The 170 bus will even take you right up up to the college, although I think it runs less frequently. The trails are not bad, comparable to Richmond Hill in length although a bit less twisty overall and spread out more (with some roads required to connect). Still a good option.

From there it's about 4.4 road miles up to Shope Creek in Pisgah National Forest, which has a few logging roads and some (shhhhh) trails.

The 170 bus actually goes all the way to Black Mountain, which opens up the possibilities even more: it's 3.2 road miles from the farthest stop to Kitsuma trail, and about the same to Montreat/Old Toll Road.

Finally, don't forget that you're about 100% likely to meet other non-freshman mountain bikers at the school who 1) know about more places and 2) have transportation.

Pick UNCA!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.