mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bike Time vs Hike Time on Black Mtn

So if it takes me 45 minutes to an hour from the parking lot to Pressley Gap Pushing/Riding a 27 pound bike , how long carrying a 27 pound backpack and no bike.

This is not a trick question

Thanks,

Eric2

drunken pirate
    I've never carried a 27 pound backpack up Black* but I have ran it many times. It usually takes me about 5 minutes longer on foot to get to Pressley Gap than it does on bike. But I am always at least five minutes faster on foot to the Turkey Pen Gap intersection than on a bike. That lead is extended to ten minutes or more by the time I hit Buckhorn Gap. The end of Black at Club Gap 20 minutes faster on foot. I'm sure a 27 lb backpack would slow those times way down.

*I did take a case of beer and 20lbs of ice up Pressley Cove for the 55k. I carried the ice and my dog carried the beer. It took us 30 minutes to get to Pressley Gap.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I'm routinely passed by joggers on Hard Times, does that help?
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

drunken pirate
    Interesting question:

Is it faster to travel Pisgah trails on foot or on bike?

For me, it is pretty much a wash. I have a hunch one of the fast runners in the area would totally smoke almost all mountain bikers (as long as there isn't much gravel involved). Somebody needs to crash the 55k next year and do it without a bike.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    I've never carried a 27 pound backpack up Black* but I have ran it many times. It usually takes me about 5 minutes longer on foot to get to Pressley Gap than it does on bike. But I am always at least five minutes faster on foot to the Turkey Pen Gap intersection than on a bike. That lead is extended to ten minutes or more by the time I hit Buckhorn Gap. The end of Black at Club Gap 20 minutes faster on foot. I'm sure a 27 lb backpack would slow those times way down.

*I did take a case of beer and 20lbs of ice up Pressley Cove for the 55k. I carried the ice and my dog carried the beer. It took us 30 minutes to get to Pressley Gap.

Did you at least give the dog a beer for all that work?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Did you at least give the dog a beer for all that work?
    Luckily he doesn't drink beer. He did get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and got to chase bikers up Black though, which he liked a lot.

I was a little worried about him carrying all that weight and was prepared to take his pack but he didn't even flinch. In fact he kept looking back at me trying to get me to run!

Carrying all that ice almost killed me and if it wasn't for the beer I would surely have perished at Pressley Gap.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Interesting question:

Is it faster to travel Pisgah trails on foot or on bike?

For me, it is pretty much a wash. I have a hunch one of the fast runners in the area would totally smoke almost all mountain bikers (as long as there isn't much gravel involved). Somebody needs to crash the 55k next year and do it without a bike.
    I would think the climb/descend ratio would greatly impact the results. As would other factors.

lamer
    I'll be in Swannanoa for 4th of July, and had looked at riding Black Mtn while I was there. After reading some descriptions of the trails and this thread, I think I'll make the drive out to the Bent Creek or Brevard area instead.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I'll be in Swannanoa for 4th of July, and had looked at riding Black Mtn while I was there. After reading some descriptions of the trails and this thread, I think I'll make the drive out to the Bent Creek or Brevard area instead.
    Black mountain trail is in the Brevard area. It's in what people refer to as "Pisgah proper".

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the great replies!

On a related subject. Places to draw water seem to get fewer the higher you go.

Is there any water up past Turkey Pen intersection?

Not planning on going down the other side

Eric2

lamer
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Black mountain trail is in the Brevard area. It's in what people refer to as "Pisgah proper".
    Ah, I've never been out that way, so it seems a little confusing. On Google Maps, Black Mountain is east of Swannanoa near Montreat, and Brevard is west on the other side of Asheville a ways away. I guess Black Mountain is not the same as the Black Mtn trail? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    Ah, I've never been out that way, so it seems a little confusing. On Google Maps, Black Mountain is east of Swannanoa near Montreat, and Brevard is west on the other side of Asheville a ways away. I guess Black Mountain is not the same as the Black Mtn trail? Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    Black mountain trail is near brevard. Black Mountain is indeed a town east of Swannanoa. Not the same thing.

mtbr member
    You could ride from one to the other on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it would take a while.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_dirtsurfer View Post
    Thanks for the great replies!

On a related subject. Places to draw water seem to get fewer the higher you go.

Is there any water up past Turkey Pen intersection?

Not planning on going down the other side

Eric2
    After the Turkey Pen intersection the next place to get water I know of is Buckhorn Gap, but you aren't going there, so....
    There is a spring at the TP intersection, which I'm sure you are aware of, but a filter is advised as it is often just a shallow mud puddle. Sometimes it is flowing a little further down... If I was camping up there I'd take a filter and iodine and fill up at that spring or down at Pressley Gap if I could carry enough water up... I have a hunch there is water around the top of Black Mtn. itself and have followed some flagging tape for a little way that might lead to some but it isn't far enough away from the known spring to warrant a long bushwhack for me...
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a filter.

I never noticed a spring at Pressley Gap as I have always been on my way somewhere else.

Where is it located?

Is there water in July - August?

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_dirtsurfer View Post
    I have a filter.

I never noticed a spring at Pressley Gap as I have always been on my way somewhere else.

Where is it located?

Is there water in July - August?
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. There is not a spring at Pressley Gap but if you walk a short way down Maxwell Cove Rd. there is a stream at Pressley Cove trail that is always flowing. I've always seen at least a little water at the Turkey Pen intersection, even in July and August.

Let us know how your trip goes!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah