Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,212

    The biggest mtb events and races in the area?

    What are the biggest (by number of attendees) mountain bike events (races, support rides, expos, festivals, etc) in the area? I'm thinking about doing the MoCo epic and was wondering if there's anything similar in or close to NC.

  2. #2
    IoC
    IoC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    What are the biggest (by number of attendees) mountain bike events (races, support rides, expos, festivals, etc) in the area? I'm thinking about doing the MoCo epic and was wondering if there's anything similar in or close to NC.
    I've thought of doing it with some coworkers who live up there. It looks like it's, what, 500 people or so?

    In Western NC, ORAMM sells out every year at 500 entrants. There are a number of other (arguably better - that's another thread) events in the area of similar distance.

    All of them look to have close to double the climbing. Having ridden in Northern Virginia a fair amount, I'm willing to wager we've got much rougher terrain.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    67
    6 Hours of Warrior Creek

    An April event, it sold out 350 spots in less than an hour last November.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by IoC View Post
    I've thought of doing it with some coworkers who live up there. It looks like it's, what, 500 people or so?

    In Western NC, ORAMM sells out every year at 500 entrants. There are a number of other (arguably better - that's another thread) events in the area of similar distance.

    All of them look to have close to double the climbing. Having ridden in Northern Virginia a fair amount, I'm willing to wager we've got much rougher terrain.
    I think I read that MoCo is 800 participants. Probably a lot more people there to check out the demos and for the party.

    Quote Originally Posted by ncps View Post
    6 Hours of Warrior Creek

    An April event, it sold out 350 spots in less than an hour last November.
    I love Warrior Creek -- I might look to sign up for it. I wonder how tough it is to pass with a that many people on the trail - 1_6WC_2013_cover.jpg | Lynn Willis

  5. #5
    When did you get here?!?!
    Reputation: pisgahproductions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,680
    Oramm - 500 participants - More gravel than trail
    Warrior Creek - 350 participants - Hamster wheel on excellent trails
    PMBAR - 200 participants - Adventure race style, almost all single track
    Pisgah 111/555 - 300 participants over the course of the weekend - almost all singletrack
    Pisgah Monster Cross - 200 participants - all gravel and pavement.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,519
    Interesting that ORAMM sold 500 entries, but 103 of them didn't show up to race.

    Depending on your definition of "the area," Fool's Gold down in GA gets over 300 people for a 50/100 mile race in September.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    67
    One more event to think about at Kerr Scott (this one is not a lap event) is the new Wilkes 100K on 10/26. Race will be capped at 150 this year and is over half full since reg opened 5 days ago. Here are more dets in another thread: Wilkes 100K

Similar Threads

  1. WTF? Events and 'News' from your area.
    By highdelll in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 1127
    Last Post: 4 Hours Ago, 09:30 AM
  2. Super D races in the NE area?
    By dewtour2k10 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 04:27 AM
  3. any mountain races/events going on in Michigan this year
    By trail-adventure in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 05:14 AM
  5. Sticky for NorCal Races and Events?
    By Dion in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •