mtbr member

Best winter rides - Pisgah

Can anyone share local knowledge and comments about best places to ride in Pisgah on cold days?

Are some trails to be avoided?

Exposure, wind, temperature, time of day, sun, cloud cover, stream crossings and ice are factors that come to mind.

Then again, it may be as simple as, “This trail is good on a cold day.”
    "Those who are afraid to go too far will never know how far they can go"

Philosophizer
    I'd say Bennett gap and Farlow would be really sketch when its icy.
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We did an awesome ride today. First we hit North Slope and then rode over and did Twin Falls. Both of these trails were in great shape. Twin Falls has a lot of stream crossings but most of them have bridges if you don't feel like getting wet.
    Brevard College Cycling

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Trace Ridge at North Mills River. Dries quickly after rain, and you won't run across much ice when the temps drop. Try to avoid riding at dupont(specifically cedar rock and big rock) after any precip. Miles of barerock that get very icy.

mtbr member
    Warning: I love winter riding. Cold and exposure are not factors in these comments.

I agree that Cedar Rock and Big Rock should be avoided, as well as the area near Bridal Veil. Most, if not all, trails should be avoided if there has been icy accumlation- impossible to ride when icy and trails will be soggy for 2-4 days after icy accumaltion melts.
    Otherwise, I consider all trails awesome in winter. I would actually consider Laurel, Black Mountain, Bennett, Trace, Heartbreak, Pilot, Caney, Daniel, Long Branch, Butter, etc in some ways BETTER to ride when we're at our coldest. Why? 1) The views and the forest. Without the leaves, many more "vistas." Without the undergrowth, can see the rocks, through the trunks, etc. 2) Frozen ground. When the mud/loose dirt freezes, it becomes hardpack. Frozen ground=fast traction.
    Them's my opinions.
    Mike