mtbr member

Best trails within 2 hours of Raleigh NC

Any trails within 1-2hours of the triangle that I may have missed? I think I’ve rode all that I can find in the area – but maybe you guys know of some good ones! Let me hear’m! I want to ride for fun and challenge…not for exercise, so leave out the fire road/exercise trails.

Here are my favorite area trails in order I like’m (top 10).….

1. 2eighty*****…we can’t discuss
    2. New Light
    3. Uwharrie
    4. Danville Va.
    5. Across the street from that other one…Rocky something we can’t discuss
    6. Beaver Dam
    7. Chapel Hill
    8. Sanford
    9. Legend
    10. Crabtree
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Warrior Creek at Kerr Scott Lake should be about 2hrs from Raleigh. Not only within your desired radius but some of the best riding anywhere in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Warrior Creek is more like 2.5 hours, but if you post up on the local board (trianglemtb.com) you are likely to find those willing to carpool and save a little gas money. Definitely a doable day trip and you should make it a point to go if you've never been.

mtbr member
    11. Harris Lake
    12. Little River
    13. RTP Trails
    Nothing but style!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys....yeah, I'm def going there! I broke my finger and dislocated my shoulder at new light middle of sept. We had a trip planned the weekend after to hit those N.Wilksboro trails and Beech Mt. downhill but new light's rocks ruined that for me. Shoulder is healed and the finger is "knida" bending again after surgery, but it wont be long till I'm trip ready again.

I rode Greensboro this past weekend. Put 16 miles in out there. Wild Turkey was the most fun to me, but otherwise a disappointment for the 1.5 hour one way drive. Smooth trails, well taken care of - fun in spots, but the climbs and decents were lame and ZERO technical areas to speak of. Def didn't make my top 10.

mtbr member
    D-town...thanks for the reply. I've rode Harris and RTP, just didn't make my top 10. What's Little River?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Town View Post
    11. Harris Lake
    12. Little River
    13. RTP Trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Little River is a community park, north of Durham, on Hwy 147 / Guess Road. Near the Durham/Orange County line.

I've only been once. It seems pretty fun to me, but a couple weekends ago when I went, it was so covered with leaves that it was hard to find the trail in places. I'd be on the trail one moment, and then in the middle of the woods another moment. After my first pass it got easier, but that first time was...interesting.

I liked it and will go back. It's something new, and wasn't nearly as crowded as LC gets.

mtbr member
    Uwharrie and San Lee are my fav's..mainly because they arent easy....Ive been to Harris Lake..its ok..mainly for beginners...Legend was fun..RR was ok.(shhh)..Owls Roost was ok...I need to go to some of the other trails Ive never been to before.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I generally ride Little River every time I am down in Orange County visiting family. It is a very fun trail, somewhat short, but fun. The trail weaves in & out of the trees, it is about as close to riding in the woods instead of riding thru the woods that you can get.

mtbr member
    The good thing and the bad thing about LRRP is that it is fairly remote for the bigger population of mountain bikers, weekday hours are short and not a lot of miles.

Which means that the trails receive little over use damage...stays true to single track conditions better than most public trails. You are definitely feeling the 'remoteness' even though you are not far from Durham\Hillsborough.

Leaves? I like the leaves, they narrow the corridor of the trail down and within just a few rides, you wear in a nice thin strip of actual trail tread. Blowing leaves tends to scour the trails and further erode the trail tread. Properly build trail will drain water off the tread with or without leaf cover.

Briar Chapel trails are another option to check out. Currently 7 miles and continuously growing. We should have another .5 miles out there within the next few months with more to come. Not steep but not flat, fast groomed machined sections with some great hand built rocky sections. Bennett Mtn. is hard to find without a guide but definitely a short gnarly chunky rocky down hill section. Or up if you prefer....

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbfutrell View Post

I rode Greensboro this past weekend. Put 16 miles in out there. Wild Turkey was the most fun to me, but otherwise a disappointment for the 1.5 hour one way drive. Smooth trails, well taken care of - fun in spots, but the climbs and decents were lame and ZERO technical areas to speak of. Def didn't make my top 10.
    Warrior Creek is Greensboro trails on steroids... Very fun to ride if you like berms and flowiliciousness. The only down side is there are so many spots that just scream for at least a table top, but there are none...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dog View Post
    there are so many spots that just scream for at least a table top, but there are none...
    The new section of Berry Mtn off of OVT will have more rollers and some small tabletops. Not referring to the 2.2 mi that just opened, but another 2+ mi section under const. There will also be more stacked berms/bank turns (duh) including one run that will go under a flyover bridge.

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncps View Post
    The new section of Berry Mtn off of OVT will have more rollers and some small tabletops. Not referring to the 2.2 mi that just opened, but another 2+ mi section under const. There will also be more stacked berms/bank turns (duh) including one run that will go under a flyover bridge.
    Excellent!!!
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Moores Springs Campground Trails in Danville, NC (Hanging Rock SP). I believe that have closed yet, and may well be on the road to staying open. I haven't ridden these trails before, but heard they are like warrior creek/OVT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Moores Springs Campground Trails in Danville, NC (Hanging Rock SP).
    FYI - That would be Danbury, not Danville. Danville is in Virginia.