mtbr member
    Feb 2013

best trails near Cashers??

Im from louisiana and im coming spend a week in lonesome valley and im looking for the best trails with in a hour driving distance of cashers im and avid rider probably rate at intermediate riding skills just looking for the most fun trails to ride please help thank you

Rogue Exterminator
    DuPont and parts of Pisgah are within 1 hour.
    Bent Creek and other parts of Pisgah are within 1.5 hours.

Personally, I would start at DuPont.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

Panthertown will be about 10mins away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you want the best drive to Pisgah. I have made many a drive from Cashiers to Brevard. I's a good hour. If you drive to Pilot or Turkey Pen, add another half. It's by far the best but hard. And be careful not to bite off more than you can chew.

Most of the good stuff at Panthertown was recently closed to bikes.

mtbr member

See elsewhere for thread on PTown trail closings. But, unless they've closed more in 2013, there is plenty of good trail open to bikes. They previously closed stuff that wasn't even that good. Eg, Little Green was truly a hiking trail to begin with, not rideable IMO. Only ridden a part of Big Green, but it seemed pretty flat to me.

white boy extraordinaire
    I feel the riding is definitely better in Pisgah and Dupont, BUT the riding is not half bad in panthertown and it is down right beautiful over there, a really unique place. Pisgah and Dupont's scenery is hardly nothing to sneeze at but Panthertown has plenty of miles to scratch an itch and it is a place unto it's own. While staying in Cashiers, I just did not feel like driving to Pisgah and I was WELL rewarded with the beauty of Panthertown.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cmweldon View Post
    I feel the riding is definitely better in Pisgah and Dupont, BUT the riding is not half bad in panthertown and it is down right beautiful over there, a really unique place. Pisgah and Dupont's scenery is hardly nothing to sneeze at but Panthertown has plenty of miles to scratch an itch and it is a place unto it's own. While staying in Cashiers, I just did not feel like driving to Pisgah and I was WELL rewarded with the beauty of Panthertown.
    Well put.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    And be careful not to bite off more than you can chew.
    Very easy to do especially if you are not used to the terrain.
    Which is why I wouldn't ride much of Pisgah alone.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks yall for the quality info will def ride those area's also any good local bars/pubs i should check out also good bike shops in the area i should know of incase of a massive bike issue i cant personally fix??
    Last edited by Donatello; 02-19-2013 at 09:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The closest Pisgah trails for you are probably the most moderate. In the Davidson River Campground area are Thrift Cove, Grassy Road, Sycamore and North Slope. All excellent and quiet convenient to the fine gear shops, pub and eats just down the road. Enjoy!

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello View Post
    Thanks yall for the quality info will def ride those area's also any good local bars/pubs i should check out also good bike shops in the area i should know of incase of a massive bike issue i cant personally fix??
    For bike shops, I'm not sure if there's anything in Cashiers or not. To the north up route 107 in Sylva is Motion Makers, a great little shop. To the east just a couple miles past Brevard check out the Hub on the intersection of 280 & 276, which is the primary gateway into Pisgah NF. Both shops are about the same distance, but if you do decide to ride Pisgah Hub is the logical choice. Definitely stop in even if you don't need bike repairs. They have the advantage of having a tavern as well, right there in the bike shop so it's a fun place to hang out. If yer a craft beer fan, there's also Brevard Brewing and Oskar Blues, too.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot