mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Best Trail for....

whats the best trail for introducing a friend to mountain biking. He is kind of in shape and rode a couple times before on fairly easy trails. kinda wants to ride something in asheville of woilson creek. was considering kitsuma. would this be a good trail or do you think there are better ones around these areas?

pronounced may-duh
    bent creek! You never too far from the car and the trails are not very technical.

rob
    slakDawg
    I'll second Bent Creek for newbies. I'd generally stay away from Kitsuma and Wilson's for a beginner. You want them to have fun and grow into the sport. Fitness has little to do with enjoying the trails. If they don't have the technical abilities, those other place *could* put a beat down on them. North Mills River area has some decent loops for a newcomer. Easy effort service road climbs with some sweet downhill singletrack.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Bent Creek does offer some really nice trails for beginners. Most trails are wide open and flowing. Biggest thing to remember is to let your friend set the pace and breaks for when he wants them. I'd also avoid Wilson's Creek or Kitsuma until you know your friend's technical abilities. Dupont State forest also has alot of great riding for beginners and has a few moderately technical short sections on a few trails.

Jeremy

XC Champion
    May 2006
    I'd steer clear of Kitsuma for a beginner. It's not that hard per se, but the consequences of slipping off a root are very extreme (unfortunately I found that out first hand a few weeks ago).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thanx guess i will be hitting up some BC with him soon.
    i have the national geographic map. will this work good in bc or do i need another one

pronounced may-duh
    The Pisgah Ranger District map covers BC but not very well. There is a special BC map you can get at any Asheville area LBS. The real BC map is at a bigger scale and is much easier to read. It's well worth the 12.00 and I think the money goes to charity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I took him too BC and he handeled it very well and wants to try the next step up from that. Where to next?