Dozer

Best (Schwalbe) tires for Asheville area?

Hello WNC'ers!
    I'm planning a MTB trip to Bent Creek/Dupont next weekend, and I was wondering which tires I should mount up? I am a Schwalbe user, so which is more recommended this time of year:

(F&R) Racing Ralph (29x2.4)
    or
    (F) Hans Dampf (29x2.35)
    (R) Nobby Nic (29x2.35)

Would love to hear what the locals are using. Thanks guys!

thecentralscrutinizer
    the RR's would work for general trail use without too much trouble.
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2012 Niner Air9
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2003 TiSport Gman

ready to ride
    I've never used Schwalbe so I can't directly comment on those tires but I do know their general design and purpose. Personally I give up some speed and less rolling resistance for more control. Its been pretty sloppy lately. I just switched to my faster rolling rear tire and was wishing I hadn't at times. Lots of slipping when normally its not an issue. Went with what I consider my middle of the road front tire and kind of the same thing. If it continues to rain I will probably change back to my more aggressive tires.

As you know there is a trade off either way. If it stays pretty dry this coming week, the RRs will probably be fine if you like fast. If we continue to get rain, then I'd go with the NN & HD. Or if you plan on riding any Pisgah I'd go with the NN and HD.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Dozer
    Thanks for the input!
    We only have two days to ride, and Bent Creek came highly recommended. If you had to choose only one, would you pick Pisgah or Dupont right now? We are experienced riders not afraid to climb, not afraid of some technical sections, just looking to maximize our fun.
    Thanks

ready to ride
    Experienced can mean a lot of things but I will take your word that you can handle climbs and distance. I would do something in Pisgah for sure. Just take plenty of water and food. Extra tubes and tools should be a given.

I would do one of these, the first one is more single track
    Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive Laurel Mountain, Pilot Rock, Pilot Cove-Slate Rock
    Pisgah Area SORBA Blog Archive Clawhammer / Buckwheat / Club Gap / Avery Creek (Intermediate)

Then the next day a toss up between DuPont and Bent creek. I ride bent creek all the time, so I would probably choose DuPont, plus it has some really unique features like Cedar/Big Rock. Plus its not too grueling after a previous long day in the Pisgah. I would probably do two rides there. One park at Corn shoal mills, do burnt mtn clockwise so take the 2nd trail head, then take the little river trail to the first cedar mtn trail, climb cedar go down big rock. If you want more go back down to burnt mtn counter clockwise, if you don't want quite that much more then just go back to little river trail and take that to the far end of cedar, climb it, and come back down the Cedar mtn you climbed earlier, then backtrack to the parking lot. Otherwise skip this and head to another area like reasonover or lake imaging. I got to go, but will try to post later.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Best (Schwalbe) tires for Asheville area?

I have RR's on a hardtail and NN's on a FS bike. I'd probably go with the nobby nics at this point. Haven't ridden the HD, so can't comment on them. Any of those schwalbe tires will be fine IMO.

That Laurel/Pilot ride is classic and drains reasonably well. Quite technical and includes a stout hike-a-bike. I'd personally avoid the clawhammer loop for now. They've been doing some grading work on clawhammer and it was a muddy, soupy mess of a fireroad last week. Nothing like climbing in the mud and on patches of fresh gravel. Some of the trails in pisgah are quite overgrown by now, so be ready for your forearms to be slashed by briars if you hit more remote trails.

Nothing wrong with Bent Creek, though it's pretty wet right now.

I'd highly recommend DuPont for visitors. Nice combination of flow, occasional tech, and climbing. Less overgrown, drains well, and very scenic. If you have an iPhone, download the pisgah map company products for some nice routes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like the Hans damp, I've only used the 26