mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Best route from Bent Creek to Brevard

For some reason, I want to do this. I want to stick to trails mostly. I can and have ridden from BC to North Mills campground area. Where would I go from there? I don't want to do trails like Bradley Creek with tons of crossings. How is Laurel Creek trail?
    Thanks!

Big Mac

The routes are many. I suggest a good map and studying it. Vague directions of a favorite. Your choice of routes from BC to the parkway. Under the parkway, down the gravel to a right on spencer. Find your way to 1206 and take a right. Climb the gravel to a right on laurel mtn. Pick a route back to 1206 and take a right. Turn left to the gauging station and take south mills river trail to black mtn.trail. Go either way here and you have many choices. Sky's the limit. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    My preferred route goes something like: Bent Creek- up and over to 5 points, down hickory top, up lower sidehill, gravel road to the parkway, ride the parkway to Buck Springs overlook, hike the mountain to sea to Laurel Mountain Trail, Laurel Mountain to the Pilot rock connector, pilot rock, gauging station, SMR, Buckhorn gap, Black mountain trail. This is assuming you want to finish in brevard itself. Finishing at the fish hatchery is a different route.
    This is a lot of fun, I've usually done it with camping gear or going to Cove Creek for group camp outs where I can get somebody to schelp my camping gear in their car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. When I get the time I'll type out my planned route and see how bad it is. I never ride turkeypen and mills, so I don't know if the trails I have chosen are even really rideable.

mtbr member
    Another option from N. Mills with only 1 creek crossing would be to drop fsr 5015 from Yellow Gap and hit Laurel Creek to Sql Gap>S Mills>Buckhorn>Clawhammer or fsr 5058. You never, ever want to ride Turkey Pen from East to West
    Last edited by readycpa; 05-21-2013 at 06:06 AM.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by readycpa View Post
    Another option from N. Mills with only 1 creek crossing would be to drop fsr 5015 from Yellow Gap and hit Laurel Creek to Sql Gap>S Mills>Buckhorn>Clawhammer or fsr 5058. You never, ever want to ride Turkey Pen from East to West
    Turkey Pen is the worst trail in Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok, how about this: from north mills > Yellow Gap Rd > Bradley Creek Rd > Laurel Creek >Squirrel > Turkey Pen Parking lot > Turkey Pen Gap > Black > Ranger Station.

Will I die somewhere on Turkey Pen? What is so bad about it? The elevation profile looks like teh suck.

Rogue Exterminator
    Do you like hike-a-bike?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    Ok, how about this: from north mills > Yellow Gap Rd > Bradley Creek Rd > Laurel Creek >Squirrel > Turkey Pen Parking lot > Turkey Pen Gap > Black > Ranger Station.

Will I die somewhere on Turkey Pen? What is so bad about it? The elevation profile looks like teh suck.
    Honestly, of all the possible routes you could take, why this one? You've been given some good suggestions. Take one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Honestly, of all the possible routes you could take, why this one? You've been given some good suggestions. Take one.
    Only because it looked good on the map.

Isn't South Mills supposed to be pretty crappy?

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    Only because it looked good on the map.

Isn't South Mills supposed to be pretty crappy?
    South mills river trail? Yes, pretty much always.

mtbr member
    Just take the BRP to 276 and hang a left. You can avoid all that silly singletrack and get there much faster.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Rogue Exterminator
    Take Turkey Pen and Black Mtn

Everyone should experience it at least once.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    rain- Turkey Pen trail in that direction is about....5 serious hike-a-bikes. It's only 3 hike-a-bikes in the west>east direction and they're shorter than going east>west. It's one of my favorite trails west>east but I do not enjoy it east>west. If you want to traverse that valley in that direction, take Squirrel the whole way. Of course, you may be looking for challenge and to see a different part of the woods, if so, have fun!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    There is NOTHING fun about East > West. It is only to be done out of necessity.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    My question is why would you take Turkey Pen (one of the worst trails) when you can get to the same place by taking squirrel gap (one of the best trails in Pisgah)? You probably won't die if you take Turkey Pen but will probably:
    a. Wish you were dead
    b. Consider selling your mtn bike & never riding again
    c. Vow to never ride in Pisgah again