mtbr member
    May 2008

Best hikes in NC

I've biked all of the top trails in NC and now I'm looking to hike some of the top trails. What are some of the best hikes in the state?

Also, I'm heading out to Asheville soon and am planning to hike grandfather mountain and chimney rock. Any specific routes that I should take?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just a note that grandfather isn't too close to asheville, probably at least an hour and a half away.

In the Asheville area:
    Looking Glass Rock (a ***** of a hike)
    Black Balsam (pretty much anything on Art Loeb trail)
    Mt Pisgah isn't bad.
    Graveyard fields (good luck finding a parking spot this time of year)
    Devils Courthouse (short hike)
    Panthertown (Cashiers, NC)
    Whitesides (Cashiers too)

More towards Boone area.
    Anything in Linville gorge. (hard miles)
    Raven Rock (just below grandfather)
    The trail that goes under the viaduct and up to Grandfather (not sure on the name), starts at the visitors center at the viaduct parking area.

Piedmont area:
    Stone mountain (hot, hot, hot in the summer)
    Hanging Rock (little cooler)

Whitesides is a nice moderate hike with amazing views. The cliff face is around 1000ft high in some places.
    Panthertown has some amazing hikes and vistas. They call it the yosemite of the east.
    Both are about 45 minutes or so from a-ville on 64. Stop at the BBQ joint on 64 near the 64/107 intersection in cashiers. Some good Q.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Boone Fork trail is an awesome hike right off the Parkway

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Fork Mountain and/or Green Mountain trails.

Anything in the Shining Rock or Middle Prong Wilderness areas.

Douglas Falls Trail from Craggy Gardesn via the MST.

Black Mountain Crest Trail from Bolens Creek.

Mt. Mitchell Trail form Black Mountain Campground.

If your seeking quiet solitude, I would avoid anything off of highway 276 or the Blue Ridge Parkway on the weekends.

If your wanting to hike Grandfather, i like going up off the Parkway instead of the Profile trail. If your really getting after it, you could do a double traverse and hike from the parkway up and over to hwy. 105 then back over to the Parkway. That would require an over night stay more than likely.

Or...

Just ride your bike up Clawhammer Road and take a right on the Black Mountain Trail. Thats a nice hike.... haha

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I like the Profile to Swinging bridge for a snack and back down for Grandfather. Hits the most ladders and cables etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are heading on over into the southwestern section of NC ; Pinnacle Park in Sylva; Charlie's Bunion on the AT in the Smokies;Baxter Creek Trail up to Mount Sterling, located in the Big Creek section of the Smokies. Or if you are going northwest of Asheville, Max Patch, located on the AT, Laurel River Trail near Hot Springs, and anything in the Roan Highlands area.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Or... Just ride your bike up Clawhammer Road and take a right on the Black Mountain Trail. Thats a nice hike.... haha Enjoy!
    Right on, hiking yer bike up Pilot Rock is fun too.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I second Hanging Rock and Pilot. I know it's not NC, but if you're willing to travel just a bit more, Mr Rogers is one of my favorite hikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The profile train on Grandfather Mountain is really nice and goes all the way to the Grandfather Mountain bridge, gift shop and peaks. Long hike though but if you hike in and hike back you can avoid the $20 per adult entry fee to Grandfather Mountain (price is getting steep!). My wife, daughter and I hiked up a couple miles to the Grandfather profile overlook and then back and that was just over 4 miles round trip. I want to say it's probably close to 8 or 9 miles if you hike all the way to the Grandfather bridge and gift shop and then back to the profile trail entrance below the mountain.

mtbr member
    The best route on Grandfather is the Asutsi trail to the Tanawha trail to the Daniel Boone Scout trail all the way to at least Calloway peak. You can hike as much of the ridge line as you want. When you descend make sure you go down the Cragway. I was a ranger at Grandfather for three years and that is my favorite route. You won't have to worry about parking at the Boone Fork parking area just park at Serenity Farm on 221 or the trail head for Asutsi across the road.