mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bent Creek for newbies?

Hey folks,

Im heading up to Black Mtn. this weekend for some boozing and biking for my lady's birthday. She really wants to get out on the trail but has very little "mountain" biking experience. She rides road and commutes to work but not too much trail time. Im thinking Bent Creek is probably the best for her. Otherwise I plan on draggin' her up Kitsuma which may be a little too much for her. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It rained a couple of inches here today, then it's going to freeze. And thaw. And freeze. And thaw. Bent Creek doesn't drain well, and will be a muddy, sloppy mess (as well Kitsuma, I bet). DuPont wasn't bad last week after the big rains, and has a wide variety of trail to choose from.

Big Mac

Bent Creek for newbies?

^ what he said. Kayaks would be better.

mtbr member
    Awesome road riding from Black Mtn, too. Head out route 9. Turn right on Chesnut Hill Road; this changes to Old Fort Road. Turn left on Whitaker. Turn left on Garren Creek (where Whitaker ends if there's no sign). Turn left at end of Garren Creek onto Flat Creek. You're back at Chesnut Hill. Turn Right. Turn left on 9 back to Black mtn.
    Disclaimer: The climb up and over Lakey Gap from Black mtn is huge. There are 10-plus short steep punchy climbs on the rest of the loop. You may encounter the Great American Redneck on narrow windy roads; this is usually less pleasant than most other wildlife encounters.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I live about three miles from BC and we got about 4 inches of rain. Couple that with the freeze thaw and the trails in BC will be slop. You could probably just ride some gravel road over in BC and cut through the arboretum etc.

mtbr member
    +1 on riding gravel forest roads at Bent Creek. If she's a decent climber, riding fsr's over BC Gap to the N. Mills side is very scenic and pretty challenging. Take a look at Never Ending Rd or Hendersonville Reservoir Road. Starting from N. Mills campground and riding fsr's over Yellow Gap in Pisgah is very nice also with epic scenery. If she's a newbie mtb'r, she'll hate you for taking her to Kitsuma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the replies folks. Probably going to pass on riding all together. I just rebuilt and cleaned my drive train and got the bike super clean. I would rather ruin all that on some nice trails as opposed to slop. Probably going to hike the BM Crest Trail or Mitchell summit trail and then drink our faces off somewhere. I'll take my SS just in case. Thanks.

Rogue Exterminator
    Kitsuma I don't think would be a good idea.
    Not that it is the hardest but it isn't really beginner friendly.
    Plus all the rain and the freeze/thaw is playing a number on the trail.

Bent Creek although can be more beginner friendly has been also taking a beating with the weather.

I will agree with DuPont.
    Although it is a little further drive, I think it will be well worth the extra 20-30 min it takes to get there from Bent Creek. The trails with the exception of Reasonover and Laurel Ridge have been holding up really well. Most the trails are beginner friendly except maybe some of the stuff on over near the Cornmill Shoals parking (Cedar Rock, Big Rock, Burnt Mtn).