Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010

Bent Creek Conditions?

I have not been riding in 6 weeks (Sick, then x-mass and travel). But the temps look passable for a Saturday ride.

How bad is it in Bent Creek right now?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Big Mac
    As of Weds. night, it was covered in quite a bit of snow, but rideable. I suspect the warmer temps will result in a slushy, slop fest. But I guess there's only one way to find out for sure.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    But I guess there's only one way to find out for sure.
    I like the way you think. I am going Sat. afternoon for sure!
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    I hope you're good at your own bike maintenance. Otherwise, you're going to owe the mechanic at whatever LBS you use a 6-pack when he or she has to overhaul your drivetrain and replace your brake pads.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It will be very, very bad unless you go in the morning or evening when things will be frozen. I live in the neighborhood and we still have at least 6" in our yard, so you can imagine the shaded sections on the trails, not to mention the slush that will be around with the melt.

Gabe.....
    Six weeks! I know how you feel..............get out.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Big Mac
    Ya! Get out! Have fun! Get your Ya Ya's out!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    anyone been up bent creek road or on the parkway below bent creek gap and the commuter section between 191 and 25? thinking it would be fun to cross bike up to the gap and slide down bent creek rd if the parkway isn't too bad.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by spankye
    anyone been up bent creek road or on the parkway below bent creek gap and the commuter section between 191 and 25? thinking it would be fun to cross bike up to the gap and slide down bent creek rd if the parkway isn't too bad.
    I was up there Weds. night. Lots of snow, but it was all still frozen so passable. The Parkway had been driven on, but not plowed. I have heard that some sections have been plowed, maybe between Tunnel RD. and 25? Not sure. With the warmer temps. I'd say you're looking at a long slush fest. So if that's your idea of a good time, conditions are perfect. Otherwise, do it at night!

Official Cooler Inspector
    Neighborhood streets are fairly clear. Ride up & down Donnybrook a few times - that would classify as a "work out", with a little DH thrill factor. Mini-Icycle Time Trials?

Seriously, anyone been through the Arboretum this week? Has it been cleared? I want to do a hood/road/Arboretum/trail loop to fine tune adjustments with some new parts.
    Crack myself up: "I wait till the opossum hits the deck water dish to call it a night."

Gabe.....
    "a hood/road/Arboretum/trail loop"..............That's sounds like the ticket! You go girl.....

earth surfer
    Unless there are car/truck tracks to follow on the parkway, I would avoid it. The snow on the Sandy Bottoms to BCG section should melt quickly with the southern exposure over the next couple of days.

Road some of BC last night. Plowing thru the undisturbed crust and powder is a powerful workout and some sections were un-ridable when the angle steepened. The trails that have had a lot of foot/bike/ski traffic are good for riding, but I wouldn't recommend it if they aren't frozen. Up and down Wolf was good. BC gap road is cruiser. Hard Times to homestead to campground connector was also fun. Returning on lower explorer was the crux though. Similar to plowing through mud, but when your done, you bike is sparkly clean. I'm running disc brakes with no pad issues after numerous snow rides this season.

mtbr member
    Snow rides are easy on the bike. Snow plus mud= lubricated abrasion.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Snow rides are easy on the bike. Snow plus mud= lubricated abrasion.
    You are, tenacious. I gotta say.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. We had a great ride, starting around 11. Many trails had a flat smooth 12 line, a tabaggan maybe? Homestead and Wolf were great, Boyd Branch was fine for a while in a jeep track, but the last bit to what used to be lower sidehill was VERY hard riding. Toward the end of the ride, around 2, the snow was starting to melt enough to be slick, and was a lot tougher to stay upright. Still enough snow that there was certainly no mud to concern yourself about, the dirt is well frozen under an insulation of several inches of snow.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    thanks for the info. We had a great ride, starting around 11. Many trails had a flat smooth 12 line, a tabaggan maybe? Homestead and Wolf were great, Boyd Branch was fine for a while in a jeep track, but the last bit to what used to be lower sidehill was VERY hard riding. Toward the end of the ride, around 2, the snow was starting to melt enough to be slick, and was a lot tougher to stay upright. Still enough snow that there was certainly no mud to concern yourself about, the dirt is well frozen under an insulation of several inches of snow.
    I know fun is relative...........for me yesterday it was not. It's sort of pretty but just not fun on wheels, I'll stay off till it's gone and do other stuff.... or maybe even road-ride (NOT)....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bent Creek Conditions?-s5032320.jpg  

Bent Creek Conditions?-s5032330.jpg  

Bent Creek Conditions?-s5032335.jpg  

Bent Creek Conditions?-s5032329.jpg  

Last edited by Smokebikes; 01-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes
    I know fun is relative...........for me yesterday it was not. It's sort of pretty but just not fun on wheels, I'll stay off till it's gone and do other stuff.... or maybe even road-ride (NOT)....
    Ahh yes, Saturday was a great day for the Inov-8 X-Talon 212 `s in Bent Creek doing a snowy trail run, then a night hike in Bent Creek with the Rottweilers.
    Sunday was an awesome day on the nearly totally dry pavement having a blast on the Blue RD-1.....
    Let the trails recover

mtbr member
    Wow, look at the difference between your Sat and Sun pictures. We figured we got lucky...Sunday looks to be sloppy. My bike was indeed sparkly clean, as mentioned above.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedchick
    Wow, look at the difference between your Sat and Sun pictures. We figured we got lucky...Sunday looks to be sloppy. My bike was indeed sparkly clean, as mentioned above.
    Oh yes.........I think you hit it just in time. Today it looks even worse. I must resist the urge to ride.........