mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bent Creek Access Question (from the north)

I'm spending the next few days in a neighborhood about a mile north of Bent Creek (near Oak Forest Presbyterian) and was wondering if there was a way to get to the north end of the trail system without going through the main entrance off of 191. I'd prefer to ride my bike to the trails rather than drive but the idea of riding on 191 isn't very appealing to me. Any ideas?

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    There's no official/on the map way in that I know of.

However, I looked at buying a house up there and noticed that Google's satellite view and Buncombe County's GIS both show what looks to be a Forest Service road that intersects directly with a public road (Reeves Cove Rd.). This road looks like it goes up towards the five points intersection in Bent Creek and could be the spur that turns off near Green's Lick. It only goes on USFS land.

Whether's it's passable, clear, rideable, or legit....I dunno. I'd give it a whirl. Maybe a local has info? There doesn't look to be private land involved

Directions to its intersection:

https://local.google.com/maps?saddr=...p=1&sz=20&z=20

drunken pirate
    There is a network of roads/trails back there. None of the roads connect directly to Bent Creek. A faint trail does lead to five points, but it is not anything you can really ride a bike on. Only a short bike whack though.

The Forest Service is supposed to build a connector trail as part of the Baldwin Gap logging project.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    There is a gated forest service road near Biltmore Lake that can get you close. Before that dirt road peters out (and it does), there's a steep pitch through the woods up the hill on the left that connects to N Boundary, below 5 points. It's hard to see the trail from above. Anyway, not worth it in my book.

If there's a way to connect directly to 5 points, I'd love to hear about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I drove the car down to scout out the end of Reeve's Cove Rd and it seemed to end at a bunch of driveways, looking at google maps now I think maybe one of those driveways was a continuation of the road. So I ended up just driving into Bent Creek to ride, traffic was pretty heavy on Sand Hill Rd. anyway.

I did notice one FS road off of Reeves Cove about halfway down that was labeled something like 5906 or 5096 and had a small parking area. I couldn't find anything remotely close to that on the map - all the trails on the FS map are 3 digits - but maybe this is the road that eventually connects close to 5 Points or the top of Greens Lick?

Thanks again for all the feedback.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I drove the car down to scout out the end of Reeve's Cove Rd and it seemed to end at a bunch of driveways, looking at google maps now I think maybe one of those driveways was a continuation of the road. So I ended up just driving into Bent Creek to ride, traffic was pretty heavy on Sand Hill Rd. anyway.

I did notice one FS road off of Reeves Cove about halfway down that was labeled something like 5906 or 5096 and had a small parking area. I couldn't find anything remotely close to that on the map - all the trails on the FS map are 3 digits - but maybe this is the road that eventually connects close to 5 Points or the top of Greens Lick?

Thanks again for all the feedback.
    5096 is the road you are looking for. It is clearly shown going just below 5 points on all my maps. There are no designated trails in that area (yet, but as I stated earlier the FS promised a connector trail as part of their Baldwin Gap timber sale) but there are a couple of other roads and some trail like things.

Connecting to Bent Creek will require a steep uphill overgrown push.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    will be great if an official connector comes to fruition, and thanks for that info Driftwood.

There is a moderate hike-a-bike connecting the forest service road to N Boundary. This goat path wasn't that overgrown in the middle of this summer, just steep. It is hard to find, and is almost impossible to see from N Boundary, unless you know where to look. Coming down, it was actually almost fully rideable.

The worst part was the forest service road below N Boundary, which was quite overgrown with briars. I don't live on the Enka side of town, so I only did those trails once. Nothing to get excited about from my standpoint. I could try to mark the top of the goat path with my GPS next time I ride N Boundary if it helps. PM if needed.