drunken pirate

Bennett Gap Trail Signs

Before riding today I decided to take a look at the trail signs and see if they showed Bennett being seasonal. Here is the sign at the bottom, closest to the horse stables:

Here is the sign at the top:

Somebody has added their own sticker with the seasonal dates and a note asking it not be removed.

I decided against riding Bennett but did do Clawhammer > Black > Buckwheat > 477 > 5056 > Avery Creek instead. 5056 is barely passable - I don't recommend it.

Buckwheat Knob:

2 wheels & a meat motor
    I did a drive by on those signs about a week ago, but pictures are better.

Are there still a bunch of trees down on that section of Black Mtn. between Buckhorn Gap and the Avery Creek intersection?

mtbr member
    If 5056 is the trail I think it is, I really hate it that no one uses that anymore. I liked that trail, and especially the one really steep downhill. Last time I did it the briars were ridiculous.

drunken pirate
    Are there still a bunch of trees down on that section of Black Mtn. between Buckhorn Gap and the Avery Creek intersection?
    No. All of them have been cleared except the huge one which looks like is staying where it is and the trail will go around it instead.

If 5056 is the trail I think it is, I really hate it that no one uses that anymore. I liked that trail, and especially the one really steep downhill. Last time I did it the briars were ridiculous.
    5056 is Buckwheat Knob Rd. and is so overgrown I had to literally bushwhack my way through 90% of it. If it was ridable I think it would be a good connector (like 5057) but as it is now I'd say don't bother unless you enjoy wrestling your bike through miles of old dead fall.