Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bennett Gap

  1. #1
    Bloated Cubs Fan
    Reputation: waterdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167

    Bennett Gap

    Is 477 open out to the bottom of Bennett Gap? I wanted to hike up, and use Perry Cove to make a "loop." It would save me a trip from Hendo' if anyone knows. Thanks!

  2. #2
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    As far as I know the closure on 477 starts at the horse stables and only goes to Avery Creek trail head. Maybe a 1/2 mile or less. You should have no problems with that hike.

    But it's been months since I have been out there, So things may have changed.

  3. #3
    Bloated Cubs Fan
    Reputation: waterdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    As far as I know the closure on 477 starts at the horse stables and only goes to Avery Creek trail head. Maybe a 1/2 mile or less. You should have no problems with that hike.

    But it's been months since I have been out there, So things may have changed.
    Thanks Maida!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17
    If 477 is the gravel road that travels to the stables then there was a sign at 276 that says "road closed 1/2 mile" last Sunday.

  5. #5
    Bloated Cubs Fan
    Reputation: waterdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbras104
    If 477 is the gravel road that travels to the stables then there was a sign at 276 that says "road closed 1/2 mile" last Sunday.
    Frig! I'll just roll out there and see. If all else fails, I'm sure I can find somewhere to hike.

  6. #6
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    As of this afternoon it is gated at the Horse Stables and then again just above the bottom of Buckhorn Gap Trail. About a mile is closed. You can park right at the bottom of Bennett

    edited to add:
    Looks like the work is complete. It should open soon.
    Yellow Gap Rd. was open on Thursday.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  7. #7
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847
    It's fine. 477 is gated at the stables, but is now open to non-vehicular traffic. The
    construction is all done. If you are on a feet or a bike, you are good. We were there
    this morning.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  8. #8
    Bloated Cubs Fan
    Reputation: waterdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167
    Thanks guys! If anyone is bombing down Bennett tomorrow, don't run over the big bald guy.

  9. #9
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdude
    Thanks guys! If anyone is bombing down Bennett tomorrow, don't run over the big bald guy.
    I'll be looking for you

  10. #10
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    As of this afternoon it is gated at the Horse Stables and then again just above the bottom of Buckhorn Gap Trail. About a mile is closed. You can park right at the bottom of Bennett

    edited to add:
    Looks like the work is complete. It should open soon.
    Yellow Gap Rd. was open on Thursday.
    Road repair
    Bennett Gap-img_3211.jpg

    That thing really needs a guardrail. If you slip off your done for.

    Bennet Gap
    Bennett Gap-img_3216.jpg

  11. #11
    Bloated Cubs Fan
    Reputation: waterdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    167
    I hadn't been up there in a few years. First, you guys riding down the steps right above Perry Cove are effing genius! I had forgotten how absolutely *****in' it is up there. My skills will keep me on foot up there for some time to come. Second, I had also forgotten how seemingly under utilized Perry Cove always feels to me. I would've sworn I was walking into the Blair Witch Project or something. Nice day in the woods.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    97
    From the the fact that there is a picture, I am assuming it is open to bike traffic?

  13. #13
    pronounced may-duh
    Reputation: Maida7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
    From the the fact that there is a picture, I am assuming it is open to bike traffic?
    To be honest I did not read the signs (not even sure if there were any) at the gates. I'm 98% sure it was open to bikes all last summer and the horse stables use that stretch regularly.

    The road was closed to cars because the washed out section was not wide enough for a car to pass. Very seldom do they close a road to all users.

    Even the repair is fairly narrow for cars. One lane only and no room for error. If a car went off the side it's not gonna be pretty. I could easily see somebody in the dark or fog falling off.

  14. #14
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdude
    I hadn't been up there in a few years. First, you guys riding down the steps right above Perry Cove are effing genius! I had forgotten how absolutely *****in' it is up there. My skills will keep me on foot up there for some time to come. Second, I had also forgotten how seemingly under utilized Perry Cove always feels to me. I would've sworn I was walking into the Blair Witch Project or something. Nice day in the woods.
    Perry Cove is not open to bikes. It is a very popular way for hikers to get to the look out on Bennett and bikes come down too fast through those blind corners so it was closed due to user conflict. Help keep Bennett open to bikes seasonally by not riding Perry Cove.

    Edited to add: I know you were on foot. This post is for others who might not realize that.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •