mtbr member
    Mar 2013

ATR Assault on Pisgah's Pilot

Great News! The FS has given us permission to use 475b (gravel) to climb to the top of Cove Creek instead of climbing Daniels Ridge trail. Please see the map under the Assault on Pisgah's Pilot tab on the website-
    www.atrfuntrails.com

mtbr member
    How many people do you have registered for this race? I am hoping I can win the over 50 clydesdale beginner category by default if no one else shows up.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The only other over 50 rider that you will need to beat is a single speed rider and also not a clydesdale... Good Luck. See you Sunday !

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This was a very well run race and a great course. Thanks for putting this on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    This was a very well run race and a great course. Thanks for putting this on.
    Ditto that. The descent from Pilot Mtn. down to 215 went through some beautiful parts of Pisgah that I had never even seen before.

I am trying to figure out why people fall all over themselves to race the Swank, but such a small crowd turns out for this race. It was definitely a challenging course that was well-marked. All it needs is a tow rope to the top of Pilot Mtn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was bummed I had to work yesterday or I would have been there. Bring it back for 2014!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I am trying to figure out why people fall all over themselves to race the Swank, but such a small crowd turns out for this race.
    Swank has been around for 15 years.

mtbr member
    Good point. I have Swanked a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I guess what I was trying to say is that this race is very similar in course and difficulty and anyone who likes the Swank would like the AOPP.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Ditto that. The descent from Pilot Mtn. down to 215 went through some beautiful parts of Pisgah that I had never even seen before.

I am trying to figure out why people fall all over themselves to race the Swank, but such a small crowd turns out for this race. It was definitely a challenging course that was well-marked. All it needs is a tow rope to the top of Pilot Mtn.
    The reason is because it is SWANK and costs $140.00. If the Assault on Pisgah Pilot would add Daniel's Ridge to this course, it would make it about 42 miles and give you even more bang for your buck. The fee would probably have to be raised a little. I will also be at the one in November and if the race director wants to make it a little longer than 30 miles, that would be fine with me. It's a 5 hour drive, for me, and I want to ride and much as he will allow. I do know it's a lot of work to mark the course and all the other stuff and I appreciate the work that went into this race. He will get more riders. It's too good a staging area and a great area to ride.

mtbr member
    This was the first race where I ever got a kiddie toothbrush in the swag bag.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I like the Do More Bar sample so much I ordered a case from their website. This race deserves to grow but with that, it will lose some of it's specialness. I will be back.

Asheville YetiRider
    I agree with the above statements. We just need to keep talking it up to our friends. I would love to see that place take off. Eric has started a great thing for this area. It could be our own Mulberry Gap. Except this place can have races on some of the best single track in the country.
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Eric did a great job laying out this course. I pre-rode it with him and Steve in February and they are great ride partners. I have made a suggestion that he make the race longer and make the one in November close to 50 miles. My reasoning is that people will travel further for a 50 to 60 mile race event. Maybe I am wrong. He could have 50 kick your butt miles out there with no problem. Might have to start it at 9:00. I just hope he keeps these races on a Sunday because that is my day off. I will make the drive for Sunday endurance events. Thanks again for a great race in a great area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words about the race! The next XC race in May 4. It's 14 miles all on property. The next endurance race is June 8- Six hours of Balsam Grove. Please visit www.atrfuntrails.com for more information. The long term goal is to host a 50-80 mile race...!!!!