mtbr member

Asheville weather

I am going to be making a trip down there next week. Are the trails in the area still rideable? I will be spending 3-4 days and thought I'd bring my bike if the trails were in decent condition. I can only take soo much family and i'll need to escape, I've never spent much time on your trails so this would be my perfect opportunity. I've read alot about the area and I'm looking forward to exploring your trails.
    Thanks for your feedback

mtbr member
    Temps below freezing= rideable trails.
    Temps above freezing likely to equal trails are a soupy muddy mess. There are a few that almost always rideable, or at least not trash, during the freeze/thaw cycle provided there's been at least one day of sunshine and no rain beforehand. These, generally, are south facing trails with good exposure. Laurel/ Pilot is one of the first to dry out.
    Riding the trails at Bent Creek when temps are above freezing is going to be trashing trails and your bike; the trails are in a giant drainage bowl and mostly don't have good exposure. It'd be last on my list.
    But,again, below freezing= great riding trails (except where iced over).

mtbr member
    I haven't been up that way in three weeks, as a riding buddy lives up there and has been saying all the higher elevations have been covered in snow (we usually ride DH). Seems like shortly after Thanksgiving the weather went south real quick. Per weather.com it rained last night and it supposed to be spotty the rest of the day, so maybe some of that snow will be gone by the weekend. I am just not sure how BC, Pisgah, etc. drain.

Things have been OK just south of Asheville here in Greenville. Should be good by the weekend.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    ...checking the western NC web cams hourly to determine whether I'll have a white (and rideless, and very sad) Christmas break in the mountains (like last year).

drunken pirate
    Pisgah is covered in snow right now. It is hard to say how much melting there will be by next week. If the sun shines for a few days it'll probably be good to go by the end of next week
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    oh well ... wilsons looks like it might be out too

clemson here I come ...

mtbr member
    When are you going to Clemson?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    probably saturday - although 30% chance of rain there too .. so maybe sunday
    never actually been - should I bring my blur ltc or vpfree w/ boxxer ? or both
    you going too?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    You are always welcome in Spartanburg for some riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty
    probably saturday - although 30% chance of rain there too .. so maybe sunday
    never actually been - should I bring my blur ltc or vpfree w/ boxxer ? or both
    you going too?
    Not sure. Monday for sure (have the week off). Seeing how things are up north and since Paris is closed on Sat (and very short), I just might go Sat and/or Sun. I can let you know or just look for a yellow SCruz.

You could go with either. I usually am on my Driver 8 w/40. It's usually a toss up on the number of dual crowns versus not, maybe 50/50. Most of the nots are XC guys just rolling through. I'd think the new drop at the bottom is big bike worthy.

mtbr member
    I should mention, there is plenty of pedaling at Clemson. Keep that in mind with big bikes. It does have a good mix of everything though and if FR is not your cup of tea or if you get bored, just go across the lake to the XC trails.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    we will probably be there sat unless the weather gets worse. I will be on an orange vpfree or a black ltc and my friend will be on a black nomad I will look out for you. We usually ride wilsons or pisgah on the weekends ... and the clt and wilkesboro trails during the week. Might go to paris sunday if the weather is bad. I am off all of next week except monday hopefully wilsons clears up by then

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    oh it is def my cup of tea clemson is just kind of far from clt for 1 trail. We will probably ride some of the xc stuff too if I bring both bikes. Are the trails easy to find?

Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    I should mention, there is plenty of pedaling at Clemson. Keep that in mind with big bikes. It does have a good mix of everything though and if FR is not your cup of tea or if you get bored, just go across the lake to the XC trails.

mtbr member
    Do you ride the Clemson trails when they're wet?

mtbr member
    Did you all end up going today? I didn't think it would rain as much as it has...well in Greenville anyway. Not sure how much Clemson got.

I've never ridden there when it's been wet, but with the lake just at the bottom, I think the FR area drys out fairly quick.

When going to the FR area, the gate to the parking lot at the bottom is locked. Go about another 3/4 to 1 mile and there is a pull off on the right and the left, both with gates. It's on the right/east side, park there.... hunters usually park on go on the left/west side of the road. Go a bit up the old paved road, then take a left just a bit uphill on the dirt road (you can't miss it). It's just a couple hundred yards. The slalom course will be on your left and the enterance to the DH trail is on the right.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    When we got up at 8 I saw the huge cloud over Clemson so we rode uwahhrie instead