Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Asheville NC??????????????

I'm contemplating a move to Asheville since NJ is really getting out of control tax wise. It seems like I'm working just to live in NJ, not to mention Asheville seems like a beautiful area with a semi city feel which i like, and the homes are fairly cheap. I was kinda suprised to see some of the homes had somewhat high taxes for the area, like above 2000 a year, though I'm paying close to 7000 a year here so its still a big savings lol.... So my question being if you live in the area do you like it? What type of people live there and the biggest question, hows the job market? I'm going to visit my mother this christmas and figure I'll go there to Mtn bike and check the area out. I was considering West Asheville btw. Any input would be much appreciated

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    I'm contemplating a move to Asheville since NJ is really getting out of control tax wise. It seems like I'm working just to live in NJ, not to mention Asheville seems like a beautiful area with a semi city feel which i like, and the homes are fairly cheap. I was kinda suprised to see some of the homes had somewhat high taxes for the area, like above 2000 a year, though I'm paying close to 7000 a year here so its still a big savings lol.... So my question being if you live in the area do you like it? What type of people live there and the biggest question, hows the job market? I'm going to visit my mother this christmas and figure I'll go there to Mtn bike and check the area out. I was considering West Asheville btw. Any input would be much appreciated
    The Asheville/Brevard area has the best riding in the southeast but NC has the highest taxes in the SE. Nothing like what you are used to in NJ, but still high in comparison to the rest of the SE. West Asheville is a great area if you like hippie culture but if that's not your thing the area is extremely diverse. Check out Bent Creek while you are here, great riding right out your front door. Hope this rambling helps.

mtbr member
    coming from NJ its going to be a big change, ashville is a very hippie city which is not a bad thing but they are very big in to music art outdoors and "open mindedness". stay in the city though cause if you don't you could wind up next to the whole plethora of disgusting hillbillies that are up there haha no joke. A very nice city though that is very near by is Greenville sc very good sized city cheaper taxes to. my fiance is from nj and she moved to here to greenville and loves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cascaderider9
    I just dont get the fascination with sucking the money cock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Plethora of hillbillies? No **** like deliverance LOL? When reading about Asheville it said the city has one of the best school systems in the country any truth to that? And again hows the Job Market what drives there economy?

banned
    Plethora of hillbillies? No **** like deliverance LOL? When reading about Asheville it said the city has one of the best school systems in the country any truth to that? And again hows the Job Market what drives there economy?
    best school systems in the country? seriously? The economy is mainly service/tourist oriented. Greenville would probably be a better job market, plus Brado live there.

mtbr member
    West Asheville=hippies? I see more hipsters and they are multiplying!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Good friend of mine I was in the Air Force with lives in Asheville and loves it, he's into mountain biking as well. If you're more used to a big city feel, Charlotte is just a little further down south and you can live in Iredell county which has cheaper taxes, plenty of stuff and and places to ride as well.

mtbr member
    well now there is a bigggggggggggggggg difference from mountain people and hillbillies. but what kind of work are you in? The other guy was spot on alot of the work up there is in tourist and traveling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yea, too many hillbillies,scary, scary hillbillies. I would just stay away. In fact some of y'all should just move on back and leave the hillbillies and hippies alone. And the riding is way overrated. And don't forget the bears that attack mountain bikers, or the poisonous snakes.

mtbr member
    I second what Alex said. Greenville has a great job market and is only 50 or so min away from Asheville. I'd love to live in Asheville myself, but finding a job that relates to my experience isn't an easy task.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I think Greenville has one of the top 10 best Schools in the country too. George Hincapie lives in Greenville. Ashville is an easy drive from Greenville and has better year round riding as it does not get all the snow.

mtbr member
    True dat. I have a bud whom lives just north of the city whom I typically ride with every weekend. We were supposed to ride up there this past weekend, but 15 degrees warmer and no snow in GVL seemed like the best choice.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Can I just go on record as saying living here is a blessing if you were born and raised here. Living with arse loads of wealthy, retired northerners imposing their rules on us sucks though.

If I had to make a choice minus a family again to have riding and income and low costs, it would be Greenville, SC all the way. 3 hours to Charleston, 1 hour to the mountains, 2 hours to Atlanta, 1 hour to Charlotte. The flights are way more direct to anywhere on the map. And all my buddies in Greenville have twice the house for half the price as me.

So they can all afford to pay for their toys and the gas to get places. Oh, and no gas tax in South Carolina, so their gas prices KILL ours.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider
    Yea, too many hillbillies,scary, scary hillbillies. I would just stay away. In fact some of y'all should just move on back and leave the hillbillies and hippies alone. And the riding is way overrated. And don't forget the bears that attack mountain bikers, or the poisonous snakes.
    Hi-Larious..

The job market is and always has been tough there...which is why I moved to Charlotte, which has an awesome trail system and is only 2 hours from Asheville, so we make day trips over there!

mtbr member
    I love living in Asheville. The cost of living compared to most other "destination" towns is minimal and the riding is fantastic. Part of what makes this area so great is the diversity- especially through my job (a very specialized social worker with a large geographic area of responsibility), I am exposed to more varying cultures and people than I can describe. I've always been on the "left" side in my beliefs, so the visibly liberal part of Asheville is great for me- but, believe me, if you are of a different bent, you can find like-minded people
    Jobs are the kicker...as the regional "center," there's quite a bit of middle class work in health care and government-type work. Otherwise, "tech"/ manufacturing jobs are pretty rare and even service jobs are hard to come by with so many people who were doing something related to construction or manufacturing (we used to have a large textile industry) having to go to the service field for work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I moved to Brevard in September and love it. The property taxes in Transylvania county are much lower than Buncombe, and the riding is better. Not as much to do as far as going out, but Asheville isn't far away. Job market is tough. I just got out of law school in May, and no firms are hiring here. I've just been trying to make my own work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for all the replies everyone some good advice was given because I checked out Greenville, Simpsonville to be exact and HOLY **** I can live in a palace for under $250,000. I'm actually still in shock by some of these homes shoot for 250,000 here you get a little 3bedroom 1 bathroom fixer uper.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    retired northerners imposing their rules on us sucks though.
    Such as? It is my experience, that Southerners are the ones with the rules... Or is this more of "dam yankees and their liberal views" statements. I already know that one...

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies everyone some good advice was given because I checked out Greenville, Simpsonville to be exact and HOLY **** I can live in a palace for under $250,000. I'm actually still in shock by some of these homes shoot for 250,000 here you get a little 3bedroom 1 bathroom fixer uper.
    yeah that kind of money will get you very nice house here in sc, well good luck with your decision and lets us know what you decide on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    They SHOOT cyclists in Asheville. And I doubt a $4.95 orange vest will make a difference.If you're looking in Gville try Traveler's Rest on the north side.If you were going to give the world an enema you'd start in Simpsonville. IMO

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Such as? It is my experience, that Southerners are the ones with the rules... Or is this more of "dam yankees and their liberal views" statements. I already know that one...
    Broad stroke of my brush to cover all the base elements of the wealthy from the north and the things they bring to the table once they move here. Gated communities, homeowners associations, absurd zoning, "devaluation of property", blah, blah, blah. I care nothing for a war of words with you.

If you are not witness to it, I'm not interested in explaining it to you.

Moving on.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Broad stroke of my brush to cover all the base elements of the wealthy from the north and the things they bring to the table once they move here. Gated communities, homeowners associations, absurd zoning, "devaluation of property", blah, blah, blah. I care nothing for a war of words with you.

If you are not witness to it, I'm not interested in explaining it to you.

Moving on.
    Oh, man you got me. I bit, but then I edited it!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    If your main concern is quality of life - stick w/ Asheville. If your main concern is a job, Greenville or Charlotte are better bets, but it all depends on what floats your boat. I'd move out west before I moved to either of those two cities. Asheville is a liberal bubble in a region w/ outdated ideals IMO. It's a great place for me because I'm from a rusty old industrial town in upstate New York - Asheville is a rusty old town w/ soul that has re-invented itself in a way that really works for the most part. Don't be fooled into thinking that a city w/ a pop. 79,000 is anything like what you're used to though, because it's not. It's a charming small city even w/ the influx w/ a bunch of Yankees like myself.

I'd rate the trail riding here the best on the East Coast by a long shot and since that's my thing, here I am. I'm lucky because I choose to work in the cycling industry and there are some sweet jobs here that work for people like me.

Good luck!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Just remember that all one of the places to ride in Greenville are not open to bikes on Saturday. We have 2-3x the singletrack in Spartanburg and it's always open.

But Greenville does have more snooty downtown restaurants. And more traffic. Whereas we have the Beacon Drive In and a very large Krispy Kreeme.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Paste eater
    Gated communities,
    I didn't even know they existed until I moved to the South. People love 'em here in SC.

I care nothing for a war of words with you.
    Then you should really think first before you run your fvcking mouth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast