Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hard as nails

New question here. Asheville Economy

What up. From ready lots of post I see that native or current residnece of NC (Asheville area inparticular) seem to discourage newcomers to the area. Albeit, it done with a smile -I knwo they kinda mean it - Heck I would probably do the same. Anyway, I am coming to NC, Wife in tow.

Jobs........... How many of you guys are in healthcare (HME/DME specifically)....Home medical equipment/durable medical equipment. I have been pounding the internet waves blasting my resume and have even made two visits to look for work. How is the job market?
    One thing I know for sure - you can get a job alot faster if you know someone that is already there. Insider Trading....

Big Thanks in advance
    [SIZE="4"]Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau[/SIZE]

http://vimeo.com/6232260

thecentralscrutinizer
    Well, with all the "old" retirees moving into that area of NC, you should be able to find something related to the medical equipment industry.

Where are you moving from?

Good luck.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

Hard as nails
    Orlando, FL - The retirees must be leaving central Florida and heading for the hills. I do remember hearing a mbtr mbr giving Asheville the nickmane of 'Heaven's Doorstep'

thecentralscrutinizer
    Floridians have a bad rap in that area already from what I've seen. I've been told that they are buying land and driving up prices.

You might want to tell people (the locals) your from somewhere else.

2 years ago I saw a message painted by locals on a bridge over the Toe River that said "Floridiots go home."
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Dirtman, dont know if this helps, but here is a link for employment listings for Asheville and the surrounding area. http://citizen-times.gannettonline.com/careerbuilder/
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not from Asheville, but I'd live there in a heartbeat if I could support myself and my family. In general, it is a very desirable place to live, so many companies can get away with paying a little less. Probably a good comprimise if you can swing it.

I spent about 6 years in Boone in the 80's/90's. Seemed like the Foridiots came to the Mountains to keep cool in the summer, and went home to stay warm in the winter. Just like birds, only they eat at Shoney's between 4pm-5pm .
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Floridians have a bad rap in that area already from what I've seen. I've been told that they are buying land and driving up prices.

You might want to tell people (the locals) your from somewhere else.

2 years ago I saw a message painted by locals on a bridge over the Toe River that said "Floridiots go home."
    Wow, I am originally from New Jersey. I will use that as my place of origin.

Hard as nails
    mb3designs:
    Thanks for the link.

bmateo:
    Well you will not catch me in Shoney and I am a decent clip from retirement - so hopefully I can find my lil space within the mtns

thecentralscrutinizer
    Haha!! That will work.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    dirtman- I run an office that does Medicaid contract staffing, so I have some opinions on the DME/home health world. Be aware that this field is adversely effected by TREMENDOUS ongoing state/federal reform in the world o' Medicaid/Medicare, but it's still one of our few growth industries. You should be able to find a a job pretty quickly once you get here. PM me if you need more info.
    Mike

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    dirtman- I run an office that does Medicaid contract staffing, so I have some opinions on the DME/home health world. Be aware that this field is adversely effected by TREMENDOUS ongoing state/federal reform in the world o' Medicaid/Medicare, but it's still one of our few growth industries. You should be able to find a a job pretty quickly once you get here. PM me if you need more info.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike!
    I will PM you lat to get some details. As you stated the REFORMS are out of control - Gov't to squeeze out the smaller players. Hit ya later. Thansk again.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    You don't need a job in Asheville......just hang out with the vagrant kids on the street all day long

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    dirtman you're in orlando, thats interesting. i grew up in asheville and moved to greenville some 15 years later. i'm currently in orlando (sanford) as well going to school. gf and i are wanting to move back to the asheville area (miss pisgah and tsali) soon. she's a drafter and well i guess i'm a pilot, although that gets me no where in the area. i've been kind of researching the job market as well. hard to find a job unless you're in the med field, work construction, or enjoy waiting tables. as many neighborhoods as i've seen, i still think biltmore forest is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods i've seen.

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by zod
    You don't need a job in Asheville......just hang out with the vagrant kids on the street all day long
    Id love to but will nto cover the mortgage. those days are over

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080
    dirtman you're in orlando, thats interesting. i grew up in asheville and moved to greenville some 15 years later. i'm currently in orlando (sanford) as well going to school. gf and i are wanting to move back to the asheville area (miss pisgah and tsali) soon. she's a drafter and well i guess i'm a pilot, although that gets me no where in the area. i've been kind of researching the job market as well. hard to find a job unless you're in the med field, work construction, or enjoy waiting tables. as many neighborhoods as i've seen, i still think biltmore forest is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods i've seen.
    Yeah jpk, I do not blame you for wanting to get back to NC. Hopefully I can get my arse some work so to make it happen

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah i hear you. i'm currently looking for a job there as well. i'm not having much luck as of yet, but hoping to find something soon. this area does kind of suck you're right. i think i read somewhere that orlando is one of the top 5 most angry cities in the country. not sure why i thought orlando would be manageable (probably disney, the beach being close, weather) but its not. miss the mountains, cool mountain air, and just asheville atmosphere. let me know what you find. heh, maybe you'll be able to offer me a job?

OB1
    mtbr member
    Another Asheville hopefull. I moved the whole fandamily out here from Ca in December. We went straight to Asheville. If we would have found a home or job that suited us in those 2 weeks, we would be there now. We ended up in Mooresville...working in Charlotte. Cheaper housing, and more work opportunities. I regret not trying harder to stay in the hills. Now the kids are all settled into their schools and such.

Hard as nails
    yeah i hear you. i'm currently looking for a job there as well. i'm not having much luck as of yet, but hoping to find something soon. this area does kind of suck you're right. i think i read somewhere that orlando is one of the top 5 most angry cities in the country. not sure why i thought orlando would be manageable (probably disney, the beach being close, weather) but its not. miss the mountains, cool mountain air, and just asheville atmosphere. let me know what you find. heh, maybe you'll be able to offer me a job?

Sure thing I had the similar thought regarding residing in Orl - beach, weather, tan women etc... Bunch of baloney - to transient and superficial (Not all, I have met many many solid friends) Just overall quality of life CANNOT even be compared on any level with WNC. I heard that same thing about Orlando being on of the most angry cities in USA. I think its a combo the Invasive HEAT and poor road system (traffic) - Among other things Nice place, just not for me any longer.

The best thing that happened to me (Besides meeting my wife - in case she reads this) is getting into MTB Well our honeymoon was a 2wk vacation in Alaska where I had my first taste of riding in the wilderness on two wheels! I was hook from that moment on!

Well, I am off today - and my puck arse boys backed out this morning' trip to Santos - so I will try to pry my hands from this laptop and pay a visit to Snow Hill (swamp hill probably with all the rain lately) Good Luck to ya fo sho

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah. charlotte's not bad though. and maybe in a few years you'll be able to migrate further west as you intended. dirtman, i haven't yet been up to the santos area. went to ocala once and ended up riding some 25 mile loop near alexander springs that was almost entirely sand. sucked ass and hated life, but made it. heard razorback is the trail to hit but haven't checked it out yet. and whats this about the trail only being open sat. and sun.? anyways, my parents just moved from greenville down to the lake in seneca, near clemson. i may end up having to settle in that area if there isn't any promise of finding something decent in asheville.

Hard as nails
    jpk, Alexander springs is a waste land unless it has rained a decent amount a day or so prior. I do not even bother with that place. Santos is Schweet. Mile and miles of hardpack singletrack - with a Freeride area that will make your boys stay close to the tummy - a variety of trail for fit every one! Reddick on the other hand is great as well! Its a race course. The flow is sweet, many challenges and shortsteep up and downs throughout the system - yet it is only a lil over 10 mi now. Still a great place to ride - I was there about 3 wks ago.

Santos is my place - I luv to huck and jump - I will bring both bikes (AM and FR) to hit both if the energy level is sufficient.

Check ot OMBA.org for details on Santos,

Hard as nails
    Quote Originally Posted by OB1
    Another Asheville hopefull. I moved the whole fandamily out here from Ca in December. We went straight to Asheville. If we would have found a home or job that suited us in those 2 weeks, we would be there now. We ended up in Mooresville...working in Charlotte. Cheaper housing, and more work opportunities. I regret not trying harder to stay in the hills. Now the kids are all settled into their schools and such.
    OB1 That stinks! But you have adecent compromise. I am certainly a hopeful I am hoping that because I am in Healthcare and my wife is a teacher (Strong industries in WNC) we will have a lil luck. We will be shaking at my mom' lg hm for a minute while I/we look for employment. I am doing my job serch from Orlando and will make as many trips up for interviews as needed.

I am wishing, praying, and hoping for some luck in this search

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah i've read a little about it, just haven't had the time it make it up that way. how did you end up wanting to move to asheville? have you ridden any of the trails there at all?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    fawk didn't realize you were in the transition thread as well. i've been kind of going back and forth b/t a bottle rocket and a dirtbag. ended up going with the bottle rocket. i thought the 07's bikes looked pretty sweet. kind of stumbled onto transition a month ago or so and they seemed to put together a nice package. i'm just a little worried. santa cruz started out this way and they've kind of sold out a little bit in my opinion. prices increasing, warranties lacking, etc. i just hope transition doesn't take after this method of doing business. already seen a slight increase year to year which should be expected i just hope it kind of tops out here soon.

Hard as nails
    yeah i've read a little about it, just haven't had the time it make it up that way. how did you end up wanting to move to asheville? have you ridden any of the trails there at all?
    My first exp with the area was when I was a member of the SWAMP Club (out of Tampa, FL area) Went during the fall for 8 days of straight riding. Since then I have been back at least 10 times to ride. Pisgah Natl Forest, Dupont, and Bent Creek, Tsali, and Flint Ridge (behind the Nantahala Outdoor center) And it is not to far from Oliver Springs, TN - HOME of Windrock Dh Course

I love that area!

Hard as nails
    fawk didn't realize you were in the transition thread as well. i've been kind of going back and forth b/t a bottle rocket and a dirtbag. ended up going with the bottle rocket. i thought the 07's bikes looked pretty sweet. kind of stumbled onto transition a month ago or so and they seemed to put together a nice package. i'm just a little worried. santa cruz started out this way and they've kind of sold out a little bit in my opinion. prices increasing, warranties lacking, etc. i just hope transition doesn't take after this method of doing business. already seen a slight increase year to year which should be expected i just hope it kind of tops out here soon.
    That BR is crazy nice! I want one of each, seriously. I know its sweet, I first saw one in person at Santos at the last Freeride contect held there. Very nice ride.

I agree, I hope Transition keep its Grassroots appeal and stay rider inspired - for the rider

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast