Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,046

    From Asheville, a daytrip, Nov 18th or 19th

    Hey Guys and Gals,

    Tossing around the idea of a weekend day trip. Haven't gotten in a good long ride since the Double Dare and my wife is going out of town this weekend. So Thinking maybe Damascus, VA( my favorite and close), Exploring the trails north of Hotsprings, The FATS trail system, or Wilson's Creek all are about 2-2.5 hrs from the Asheville area. Still tossing it around but thought I'd see if there was any interest.

    Jeremy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Hey Guys and Gals,

    Tossing around the idea of a weekend day trip. Haven't gotten in a good long ride since the Double Dare and my wife is going out of town this weekend. So Thinking maybe Damascus, VA( my favorite and close), Exploring the trails north of Hotsprings, The FATS trail system, or Wilson's Creek all are about 2-2.5 hrs from the Asheville area. Still tossing it around but thought I'd see if there was any interest.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, I am planning on being in Columbia this weekend and was looking to ride in the (FATS) area. We were thinking of hitting FATS, Baker creek, wine, turkey and whatever else we can fit in. Trying to get to the trailhead by 9:00. Let me know if you are interested.

    Late edit: We were looking to do this on Sunday the 19th.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  3. #3
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847

    Word.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Hey Guys and Gals,

    Tossing around the idea of a weekend day trip. Haven't gotten in a good long ride since the Double Dare and my wife is going out of town this weekend. So Thinking maybe Damascus, VA( my favorite and close), Exploring the trails north of Hotsprings, The FATS trail system, or Wilson's Creek all are about 2-2.5 hrs from the Asheville area. Still tossing it around but thought I'd see if there was any interest.

    Jeremy
    I'm in. I'd like to check out the FATS system or Hot Springs, but I'll do whatever.
    If we go to FATS, we'll be riding in short sleeves which would be nice.

    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  4. #4
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,046
    FATS would be cool. Been meaning to check out the trails. May be a bit friendlier for me as I'm riding RIGID again. Selling the Manitou to get something with less travel. Going more XC oriented. Got some directions for a brotha to meet ya , Tomato.
    Zack, Carpool? You had me at short sleeves

    Jeremy

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    FATS would be cool. Been meaning to check out the trails. May be a bit friendlier for me as I'm riding RIGID again. Selling the Manitou to get something with less travel. Going more XC oriented. Got some directions for a brotha to meet ya , Tomato.
    Zack, Carpool? You had me at short sleeves

    Jeremy
    I got a friend (wooglin) that wants to hit up some of the "older" trails down there as well. He can't meet up with us until 11 or 12. So let's hit fats for a couple hours in the morning and then we can go hit the other trails since they are a short drive away. Can you guys make it to the trailhead by 9:00?

    directions off of this site: http://www.sorba.org/trailweekend.php


    On I-20 take Exit 1 for Highway 230 and Turn Left. (First exit in South Carolina)
    Go north 5.7 miles and look for the “Sportsmans Corner” on the left. (This is a classic old county store)
    Turn Left on Woodlawn Road and go 3.8 miles. Look for a green sign for “River Plantation Farm” on the left. FATS parking lot is 100 feet passed this sign.
    Turn Left into the FATS parking area.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  6. #6
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Can you guys make it to the trailhead by 9:00?

    directions off of this site: http://www.sorba.org/trailweekend.php


    On I-20 take Exit 1 for Highway 230 and Turn Left. (First exit in South Carolina)
    Go north 5.7 miles and look for the “Sportsmans Corner” on the left. (This is a classic old county store)
    Turn Left on Woodlawn Road and go 3.8 miles. Look for a green sign for “River Plantation Farm” on the left. FATS parking lot is 100 feet passed this sign.
    Turn Left into the FATS parking area.
    Jeremy you can hit FATS via hwy 25 thru G'ville, then Greenwood once you hit the town of Edgefield make a right on to Hwy 23 road will split 23 Right to Modoc or Left 230 to Augusta, you want to go Left, you pass Lick Fork and go several miles then the Sportsmans Corner will be on the right It's a gas station store nothing classic about it.
    (if you hit i20 too far double back) but at the store make that right on woodlawn road (last time i was there i never saw a road sign) the was a sign that read Clays Creek Ferry or something like that. anyways FATS is on the left 3.8 mi. Note if you go this way you will hit every traffic light in Greenville and Greenwood on early Sunday mornings not really an issue. from G'ville it takes me an 1:45 to get there

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Jeremy you can hit FATS via hwy 25 thru G'ville, then Greenwood once you hit the town of Edgefield make a right on to Hwy 23 road will split 23 Right to Modoc or Left 230 to Augusta, you want to go Left, you pass Lick Fork and go several miles then the Sportsmans Corner will be on the right It's a gas station store nothing classic about it.
    (if you hit i20 too far double back) but at the store make that right on woodlawn road (last time i was there i never saw a road sign) the was a sign that read Clays Creek Ferry or something like that. anyways FATS is on the left 3.8 mi. Note if you go this way you will hit every traffic light in Greenville and Greenwood on early Sunday mornings not really an issue. from G'ville it takes me an 1:45 to get there
    Thanks for the help Brad. Does this mean we are going to be graced by your Mariachi band at the traihead?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  8. #8
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Thanks for the help Brad. Does this mean we are going to be graced by your Mariachi band at the traihead?
    i'm gonna try....( then i hear my son (in my head) in his best Yoda voice " do or do not, there is no try) yeah i'm bringing the band! 9 am? damn thats early!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    i'm gonna try....( then i hear my son (in my head) in his best Yoda voice " do or do not, there is no try) yeah i'm bringing the band! 9 am? damn thats early!
    Early is the only way to go. I have to make sure I am back in time to keep a girlfriend

    Do you know how to get to Modoc/Turkey from FATS? I think we are going to try and meet Chris there after a spin at FATS. Is that the closest trail to FATS? I know they are all in the area and I have been to them all but I don't know the best way to get around down there.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  10. #10
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847

    Yup

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    FATS would be cool. Been meaning to check out the trails. May be a bit friendlier for me as I'm riding RIGID again. Selling the Manitou to get something with less travel. Going more XC oriented. Got some directions for a brotha to meet ya , Tomato.
    Zack, Carpool? You had me at short sleeves

    Jeremy
    If you want to shoot down I-26 and meet at the Campobello exit, I can take it
    from there.

    My car was inspired by my Double Dare outfit, and is now up on blocks in my
    front yard. With a little luck, it will be rolling by the weekend.

    Meeting early and riding lots sounds excellent to me.

    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  11. #11
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    Early is the only way to go. I have to make sure I am back in time to keep a girlfriend

    Do you know how to get to Modoc/Turkey from FATS? I think we are going to try and meet Chris there after a spin at FATS. Is that the closest trail to FATS? I know they are all in the area and I have been to them all but I don't know the best way to get around down there.

    the Stevens Creek (Modoc Trail) is on 23 so from FATS Right, then Left on 230....then at the Junction of 23/ 230 make Left and go about 7mi cross bridge and and park on right Awesome trail out and back nice seasoned. Lick Fork is the closest to FATS right there off of 230 on the right , before you get to the 23/230 junction. been to Turkey and Wine twice but was trashed and don't remember directions.... here is a map of the trails in the area (Note the Map is Pre-FATS)
    Link
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Droop
    Reputation: awoods66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    38
    Brado, I know Tomato only wants to do a couple hours at FATS but a coule hours wont do that system justice. We rode Modoc and Lickfork a couple weeks ago, but they aren't near as good as FATS...well maybe a little/lot tighter and a bit more technical...may want to do Modoc first as it is much shorter (~7mi out & back) and finish at FATS.

    AW
    "Mach-S, the speed at which stress can't keep up, is simply forward motion. But it has to be self- propelled. Note that people in cars are still stressed." Jef Mallett

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by awoods66
    Brado, I know Tomato only wants to do a couple hours at FATS but a coule hours wont do that system justice. We rode Modoc and Lickfork a couple weeks ago, but they aren't near as good as FATS...well maybe a little/lot tighter and a bit more technical...may want to do Modoc first as it is much shorter (~7mi out & back) and finish at FATS.

    AW
    Awoods are you coming out?

    Stephens creek (modoc for some) is a great out and back. Fun techy creek crossings.

    Lick Fork is also fun but short. Wine and Turkey are great trails as long as they have been cleaned up.

    Unlike some, I don't think FATS is the new sliced bread. I get tired of "pump tracking" after a couple hours. Don't get me wrong, it is a great trail system but I would rather mix it up.

    Anyway we are going to ride our bikes and that's what counts.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    the Stevens Creek (Modoc Trail) is on 23 so from FATS Right, then Left on 230....then at the Junction of 23/ 230 make Left and go about 7mi cross bridge and and park on right Awesome trail out and back nice seasoned. Lick Fork is the closest to FATS right there off of 230 on the right , before you get to the 23/230 junction. been to Turkey and Wine twice but was trashed and don't remember directions.... here is a map of the trails in the area (Note the Map is Pre-FATS)
    Link
    BradO,

    Thanks for the mappage. We will start at FATS around 9 and figure it out from there.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  15. #15
    Droop
    Reputation: awoods66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    38
    We were plannin on goin to Santos and Razorback Sat & Sun but there is a race at Santos on Sun that may limit our camping options so Lee and I might come join y'all.

    I agree that Stephens Creek is much more techy. I didn't notice you said you had ridden FATS already and knew what it was about.

    What day are y'all goin, Sat or Sun?
    "Mach-S, the speed at which stress can't keep up, is simply forward motion. But it has to be self- propelled. Note that people in cars are still stressed." Jef Mallett

  16. #16
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,342
    Quote Originally Posted by awoods66
    We were plannin on goin to Santos and Razorback Sat & Sun but there is a race at Santos on Sun that may limit our camping options so Lee and I might come join y'all.

    I agree that Stephens Creek is much more techy. I didn't notice you said you had ridden FATS already and knew what it was about.

    What day are y'all goin, Sat or Sun?
    I'll be there Sunday morning, yeah i'm sure you guys could camp over Clarks Hill (what ever it's called now) ... or is there camping at Horn Creek / Lick Fork?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    I'll be there Sunday morning, yeah i'm sure you guys could camp over Clarks Hill (what ever it's called now) ... or is there camping at Horn Creek / Lick Fork?

    Sunday is the day. Bill (seevnic) knows about camping over there. You might want to post something up in the SC forum. . .
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  18. #18
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847

    Camping?????

    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    BradO,

    Thanks for the mappage. We will start at FATS around 9 and figure it out from there.
    Is there going to be drinking..... I mean camping? If there is camping then I want
    camping. IS THERE CAMPING SATURDAY NIGHT? AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

    Sorry Jeremy. If there's camping, I'm heading out Saturday to hit that shizzle. You're
    more than welcome to ride with me then, too. You can leave your truck at my house,
    it's not far off I-26.

    WE WANT DRINKING !!!!!! Camping I mean. We want camping. And drinking.

    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Is there going to be drinking..... I mean camping? If there is camping then I want
    camping. IS THERE CAMPING SATURDAY NIGHT? AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

    Sorry Jeremy. If there's camping, I'm heading out Saturday to hit that shizzle. You're
    more than welcome to ride with me then, too. You can leave your truck at my house,
    it's not far off I-26.

    WE WANT DRINKING !!!!!! Camping I mean. We want camping. And drinking.

    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

    ZB

    The only camping I will be doing this weekend will look a little like this:

    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  20. #20
    H8 H8 H8
    Reputation: Broussard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    847

    Jeez.

    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    The only camping I will be doing this weekend will look a little like this:

    You can't even watch a game of football with having to burn something?

    ZB
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    If you look closely, I think you can still see the handle of you pump poking out of that fire.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  22. #22
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,342
    drinking? i don't think i can swing both days... have to shmooze the old lady! if any g'ville (stick, rick, zt, jamie, beuller, beuller, anyone...) folks want to carpool gimme a shout brado1@aol.com or 864.430.7076 i'm in the augusta rd area

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,078
    Wooglin told me in an email that he was meeting you guys at Key Bridge. This is not the same as Modoc. It is the place to park for Turkey/Wine Creek Trails.

    From FATS to Key Bridge. Right out the parking lot, going toward Sportsman Corner. Left onto Hwy 230. Go about 7ish miles, and look for Key Road on the left. Take a left onto Key Rd. Go straight across Hwy 23. Stay on Key Road, and park on the left after you cross Key Brigde about 5 miles after you cross hwy 23.

    At Key Bridge, there is 12 miles of singletrack. 7 to the south and 5 to the north. Wooglin knows how to ride "the connector" to Modoc Trail as well.

    I can make the early FATS ride, but have to attend something at 2PM w/ my wife.

    For those coming from Asheville, unless you have to go thru Greenville, the best way to get here is I-26 and take the first Clinton Exit (I think it is either #51 or #52). From there to Saluda, to Edgefield and then to FATS. If you want the full detailed directions, let me know here.

    Edited to add this map: http://www.sorbacsra.org/map1.html

    It's also pre-FATS. See the "E" at the bottom of the map. FATS is south of it. See where it says "Colliers"? That's where you turn off HWY 23 onto Key Rd. The best camping is also on the map. It's either Hamilton Branch SP or Lick Fork. Hamilton Branch is just to the right of the "a" in South Carolina on the map.
    Last edited by seenvic; 11-15-2006 at 01:20 PM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    Wooglin told me in an email that he was meeting you guys at Key Bridge. This is not the same as Modoc. It is the place to park for Turkey/Wine Creek Trails.

    From FATS to Key Bridge. Right out the parking lot, going toward Sportsman Corner. Left onto Hwy 230. Go about 7ish miles, and look for Key Road on the left. Take a left onto Key Rd. Go straight across Hwy 23. Stay on Key Road, and park on the left after you cross Key Brigde about 5 miles after you cross hwy 23.

    At Key Bridge, there is 12 miles of singletrack. 7 to the south and 5 to the north. Wooglin knows how to ride "the connector" to Modoc Trail as well.

    I can make the early FATS ride, but have to attend something at 2PM w/ my wife.

    For those coming from Asheville, unless you have to go thru Greenville, the best way to get here is I-26 and take the first Clinton Exit (I think it is either #51 or #52). From there to Saluda, to Edgefield and then to FATS. If you want the full detailed directions, let me know here.

    Edited to add this map: http://www.sorbacsra.org/map1.html

    It's also pre-FATS. See the "E" at the bottom of the map. FATS is south of it. See where it says "Colliers"? That's where you turn off HWY 23 onto Key Rd. The best camping is also on the map. It's either Hamilton Branch SP or Lick Fork. Hamilton Branch is just to the right of the "a" in South Carolina on the map.
    Thanks for all the info sir. You rock! See you out on the trails on Sunday. You bringing that single speed?
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  25. #25
    Goat of Legend
    Reputation: mountaingoatepics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard
    Is there going to be drinking..... I mean camping? If there is camping then I want
    camping. IS THERE CAMPING SATURDAY NIGHT? AAAARRRGGGGHHH!!!!!

    Sorry Jeremy. If there's camping, I'm heading out Saturday to hit that shizzle. You're
    more than welcome to ride with me then, too. You can leave your truck at my house,
    it's not far off I-26.

    WE WANT DRINKING !!!!!! Camping I mean. We want camping. And drinking.

    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

    ZB
    I'd be about dat. What time do you want to head out Saturday? I'm gonna try to ride with my bud, Riley in the morning at Bent Creek then a trip down to your place? Wife's out of town, weather looks awesome. Drinking, I mean camping. I'm about it.

    Captain Funk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •