mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Asheville Area - Thanksgiving Week

Hello NCer's

I'll be in the Asheville area during Thanksgiving week and am looking for some help in finding a few rides. I'm looking for cross-country type rides more so than bombing downhill runs. I'm coming from Maine so am used to roots and rocks.

I've read through some of the other threads and am starting to get familiar with some of the areas but am looking for more specifics.

Any online maps available? Any bike shops in town that would be particularly good to get advice at?

Also, what are the chances we encounter snow at this time of year?

Thanks for any advice or tips that people have!

EDIT: Am also looking for good car camping spots close to trailheads...ok, just found this link:

http://www.mtbikewnc.com/areainfo/introduction.html

Seems to have a ton of the info I'm looking for.
    Last edited by crooker; 11-10-2006 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    I suggest: Go to Sycamore cycles just across from the entrance to Pisgah Nat'l Forest at the intersections of Hwys 64, 280, 276. (this is close to Brevard, NC...about 20 minutes from Ashville) Buy a map for $10...you'll need it, and it's a very good map. Park at either the Ranger Sation or the Fish Hatchery. You should see signs for either on Hwy 276.

You can camp at Davidson river campground, but I understand the sites go quickly on holidays. Or car camp along several of the gravel roads in the area. I suggest calling the Ranger STation for more info.

Also Bent Creek, nearer Asheville. I think there is an online map, but it's hard as hell to read, IMHO. Best to just explore, or find someone leaving the parking lot and beg them to let you follow them for awhile.

Snow is very unlikely at T-giving, althouh not completely unheard of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Since you're making such the long trip, check out Tsali. They are directional loops that ride around Lake Fontana. I would put them in the range of Ridge riding thats on the quick side. Also, its almost impossible to get lost as all trails lead back to the parking lot and there a few turnoffs in between. You can camp at the trailhead as well as rent maybe like a cabin. The cabins are a little ways off. The other place that may interest you is Turkey Pen. I would recommend you follow someone though as taking the wrong trail may lead to a lot of creek crossing. Bent Creek is definitely nice, close to Asheville and many riders. The Mills River Area can provide some long, easy to navigate rides as well. Within the Mills River and Pisgah forest, you can typically find camping signs that allow you to park on the fire road and pitch your tent say 20 feet, easy. Those are typically away from most trailheads. Driving time is really not that bad. Going from Pisgah Forest, furthest from Asheville to say Bent Creek, closest to Asheville, is an hour if you make a wrong turn or so. Tsali is a trip in itself as it is located a little less than 2 hours West from main Asheville. My point is that you can hit Bent Creek in the AM, get back in your car, drive to Pisgah Forest, and do a ride there as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for all the info!

Will definitely be going to Tsali and some of the other rides in Pisgah and Bent Creek.

Politically Incorrect
    A buddy of mine and I are camping in Davidson River campground Sat, Sun and Mon. I called a few days ago and they said that there are spots available. I think it's like 1/2 mile to the trailhead.

If you wanna look us up, we're the two old slow fat guys on heavy bikes.

By the way, there's a good mexican place behind sycamore cycles (at the other end of the building in the back).
    Last edited by motoenth; 11-14-2006 at 07:02 AM.
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!