mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Asheville area Spring riding.

I good friend of mine is planning on visiting the Asheville area in the middle of March, and I was thinking about possibly tagging along.

Does anyone know if the trails around the area, namely Pisgah, will be rideable in March? I know that Ashville got hit with a bit of snow this year, and I'm curious to weather it'll be worth the trip down there this early in the season (We're coming from Chicago).

Any info or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Trails are perfect right now. Depends on the weather.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    I good friend of mine is planning on visiting the Asheville area in the middle of March, and I was thinking about possibly tagging along.

Does anyone know if the trails around the area, namely Pisgah, will be rideable in March? I know that Ashville got hit with a bit of snow this year, and I'm curious to weather it'll be worth the trip down there this early in the season (We're coming from Chicago).

Any info or recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks!
    This topic has been covered ad nauseam on here. If you do a quick search you'll find gobs of info on the subject.

mtbr member
    Its a total crap shoot this year. Good luck.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Its a total crap shoot this year. Good luck.
    It'll be good. At least, the week of the 2nd-7th of April. Why? Because I'll be there ripping it up.

mtbr member

Re: Asheville area Spring riding.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    It'll be good. At least, the week of the 2nd-7th of April. Why? Because I'll be there ripping it up.
    With the way the freeze thaw cycle has been this winter, ripping up the trails may be exactly what you are going to do....

But hopefully the weather will be on your side. It seems to be getting a little better.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That said, do you guys know any decent flow/gnarly/jump trails in the area that would be open. We're looking to some stuff a bit more aggressive than XC (although thats cool too!)

Big Mac

Do flow and gnarly not live far away from one another?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    That said, do you guys know any decent flow/gnarly/jump trails in the area that would be open. We're looking to some stuff a bit more aggressive than XC (although thats cool too!)
    Coming from Chicago all our "xc" trails
    Will be double black diamonds

Rogue Exterminator
    Holy Fvck, another "what will the weather be like in _________" thread.
    I really need to get my fvcking crystal ball fixed.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Coming from Chicago all our "xc" trails
    will be double black diamonds
    This.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well we've done pretty extensive riding all over the U.S. and Canada, so I think we'll be just fine. I appreciate you taking the time to be rude though. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    MTBR trashed my response when I hit send...

Recap would be:

People are d*cks on this forum, not on the trails. Read the sticky threads in this forum for ideas. Watch the weather forecast so you know if you need a backup plan. PM people that don't seem like d*cks for beta on routes you come up with if you want.

Rogue Exterminator
    Well we've done pretty extensive riding all over the U.S. and Canada, so I think we'll be just fine. I appreciate you taking the time to be rude though. Thanks.
    Thanks for reading all the stickies.

But since you are so super rad and able to tear up the gnar gnar, welcome to the area. No matter what the weather, it will be perfect for a man of your caliber.

Just ride!

Quote Originally Posted by jn35646 View Post
    MTBR trashed my response when I hit send...

Recap would be:

People are d*cks on this forum, not on the trails. Read the sticky threads in this forum for ideas. Watch the weather forecast so you know if you need a backup plan. PM people that don't seem like d*cks for beta on routes you come up with if you want.
    JN is correct, and has given you sound advice.

However, it's sad that a pm is needed to get information. I've read the NC forum on MTBR for years. I don't know why, but there has consistently been a stream of online AAHOLES posting on this forum.

I live in Asheville, ride a large portion of the local trails in Asheville, Pisgah, etc. Most everyone I encounter are nice, fun, pleasant, willing to lend a hand or share a brew kinda folks. However, there are posters on this forum that lose all sense of decorum, overall helpfulness, and become downright hateful when asked a simple question about weather, trail conditions, best places to ride, what bikes do best down there, etc. So what if someone did not read all of the stickies, precious posts, use the search function, etc? If you have something constructive to add to the question, please post. Assist someone. Be helpful.

To answer the original question: the freeze/thaw cycle has been hard on predicting trail conditions. Please avoid riding during the thaw and when wet, as the trails become super rutted, reposed, and washed out in a negative way. If the weather dries out, the trails are generally fantastic. If the spring and early summer repeat last year's pattern, bring arm floaties and plan a kayak /tubing, or road riding trip. Any of the local shops can provide great trail and route advice.

Mahalo

Just ride!

PS. Either of the Bike Shops in Brevard are great sources of info on Pisgah conditions, as they are closest in proximity and helpfulness to the Pisgah area.

mtbr member
    Thanks for reading all the stickies.

But since you are so super rad and able to tear up the gnar gnar, welcome to the area. No matter what the weather, it will be perfect for a man of your caliber.
    Also, we were just trying to avoid the inevitable "You guys suck for not telling me that we were going to have to push/pull/drag our bikes for 3/4 of the distance up ______ trail. My friends aren't talking to me now, and my wife left me. Thanks for ruining my vacation" follow up post
    Pisgah Area SORBA

... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    Also, we were just trying to avoid the inevitable "You guys suck for not telling me that we were going to have to push/pull/drag our bikes for 3/4 of the distance up ______ trail. My friends aren't talking to me now, and my wife left me. Thanks for ruining my vacation" follow up post
    My favorite is "you ride up/down that".

Seriously the question of "what will the weather be like in _______?" is tiring.
    We don't know what the weather will be like in a month, a weak, tomorrow or sometimes in 5 minutes. The only accurate way to predict the weather around here is to walk outside.