mtbr member
    May 2013

Asheville area riding this weekend? SOL?

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]I have a trip planned for this coming weekend (May 10th - 12th) for some much needed r&r (all this rain is probably my fault - sorry...). I was really hoping to get some good long rides in - Dupont, Bent Creek, Pisgah etc. Am I out of luck? Will the trails be a wreck after all of this rain? Do I need to bring my (gasp) road bike?
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was wondering the same thing. I have a Wed - Sun MTB trip planned. And no road bikes in the stable I am worried about the rain for both riding, and camping.

Thanks for any local input
    ~Kirby

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, many of the trails in Dupont are fairly rideable when wet and drain well due to a sandy composition. Pisgah is always freaking wet and rocky, so again, many of the trails are rideable when wet. Bent Creek, on the other hand, isn't so good after heavy rain. I would recommend stopping at a local bike shop like Carolina Fatz in Asheville or Sycamore Cycles in Brevard and asking them which trails should be in good enough shape. Normally I don't condone riding wet trails, but there are some fairly sustainable trails in the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirby258 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I have a Wed - Sun MTB trip planned. And no road bikes in the stable I am worried about the rain for both riding, and camping.

Thanks for any local input
    ~Kirby
    It all depends on how many of those 30% chance days materialize into actual rainfall. Some of the more loamy areas will be slow to drain and the dirt is already pretty well saturated. If you can string together a couple of sunny days with no rain youll be fine. There are some sandy areas in dupont off the corn mill shoals parking lot that can be ridden very wet because theyre mostly sand/rock.

Rogue Exterminator
    DuPont will be fine. Most the trails dry out fast and/or have nice sandy bottoms.
    There are a couple that get a little muddy but nothing real bad.
    If the rain continues, maybe avoid Burnt Mtn, Laurel, and Reasonover.
    The rest are pretty good even after heavy rains.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I went for a trail run in BC/Arboretum yesterday and it is damn wet. Numerous gravel roads throughout had rivers running down them from above. It did not rain yesterday or today (yet). I plan on doing a gravel ride through BC tonight. I will post back on conditions. We did get 4.89" of rain at my house this weekend, which is less than 5 miles from BC.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback everybody - I appreciate it. Just as a fall back - any recomendations for some nice gravel road routes in the area?

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Asheville area riding this weekend? SOL?

I don't keep track of trail and road names-- if you are heading up BC road toward the parkway, there's a gated road that turns left. This is the last left turn before the parkway! is past explorer, and just before the highest section of lower sidehill. Anyway, the road is fine for several miles, but about halfway down on the descent, it's washed out and blocked off by orange tape. I heard there was a slide and that the road washed out. All I could see was a ton of water on the trail past the barricades. I turned back and didn't explore further. Maybe someone else can provide more insight.

The other fire roads around BC seemed fine, as did north boundary.

DuPont is likely to be your best bet for the weekend, and has some fire roads. I also like the fire roads around N and S Mills, if that's what you are looking for.

Rogue Exterminator
    Between Bent Creek and DuPont, DuPont is your best bet.

Parts of Pisgah may be ok, but I could not tell you which.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I rode Dupont tonight. We hit up Big Rock > Cedar >little River >Cedar>Big Rock. Big rock was a lot drier than I thought it would be and Cedar is almost all rock minus the bottom parts which were muddy, but not bad at all. Only interesting spot was riding on Little River fireroad to the other end of Cedar. There was a good amount of water there, but we could still ride through it. We also rode Longside > Pine tree > road > Twixt > Longside for a quick cool down. It was surprisingly dryish as well. Stick to Dupont and you are golden! Any of the bigger stream crossings might be interesting.

Rogue Exterminator
    Little River has a nice base so even when it is under water you won't tear it up.
    Been trough it when the water was up to my crank and it was fine.

Asheville area riding this weekend?  SOL?-littlerivertrl.jpg

That was this last winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah, that was exactly how it looked tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    I went for a trail run in BC/Arboretum yesterday and it is damn wet. Numerous gravel roads throughout had rivers running down them from above. It did not rain yesterday or today (yet). I plan on doing a gravel ride through BC tonight. I will post back on conditions. We did get 4.89" of rain at my house this weekend, which is less than 5 miles from BC.
    I ran BC last night and the trails are pretty saturated, and the normal "bad spots" were really bad, so I cancelled the PAS Beginner MTB for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    ... Anyway, the road is fine for several miles, but about halfway down on the descent, it's washed out and blocked off by orange tape. I heard there was a slide and that the road washed out. All I could see was a ton of water on the trail past the barricades. I turned back and didn't explore further. Maybe someone else can provide more insight.

The other fire roads around BC seemed fine, as did north boundary.
    South Ridge.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.