drunken pirate

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?

As always Pisgah Productions put on an outstanding event. This event is truly about the journey (the ride) and not the destination (the finish).

Here is want the finish looked like when the race ended at 6pm yesterday. At noon on Saturday there had been a hundred cars scattered about scores of tents.

And a few pictures of Chief and mine journey:

Representing the Hub and Pisgah Tavern and hydrating at our first checkpoint:

Posing with AshevilleTallBoyRider at Laurel Gap:

Special test:

On the run to Mt. Pisgah:

Farlow Gap:

John Rock:

I'm not the only one who had a camera and went for an adventure. Let's hear your stories and see some of your pics!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I didn't race, didn't have a camera, just camped, helped out and rode...

It was the awesomest, especially with conditions, weather, and technicolor fall leaf explosions.

How on earth could there be a more beautiful place on earth to ride and live?

mtbr member
    Yeah, I forgot that the race was going on and went for a ride there yesterday from the Hatchery. I went to climb the Cove Creek trail and went right by the start area around noon. But in my entire 3 hour ride out there, I only came across 2 racers. Ha, another reason Pisgah is awesome is just the sheer size of it.
    Honestly, the combo of the time of year and weather yesterday and riding Daniel Ridge and Butter Gap had me grinning so hard all day, my teeth were caked with dust and mud. Pisgah owns.
    SEI Racing

paintbucket
    Was there a mandatory firing of weapons? I wonder how my two canuckistani friends did at that.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin View Post
    Was there a mandatory firing of weapons? I wonder how my two canuckistani friends did at that.
    It was a special test, not mandatory, hit a tiny bell with the bb gun or eat four pickled eggs. We ate the eggs (delicious) but I couldn't resist playing with the gun just for fun
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    I could have resisted having my partner point the gun at me. Purposefully or not, it was kind of a mixed message.

I think that in the spirit of things, it attests to friendships and marriages in some cases, to be able to ride with someone for twenty-four hours and get along. My partner and I had several rough spells and as defined by "teamwork" and not "me" work or "you" work, really came through for one another.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by "CHIEF" View Post
    I could have resisted having my partner point the gun at me. Purposefully or not, it was kind of a mixed message.
    I'm not very experienced with firearms and pisgahpro had no firearm safety course for me to take but had you brought enough margaritas for both days we probably never would have had that incident. Hopefully you enjoyed your birthday - next time I'll bake you a cake or we can play pin the tail on the donkey or something. Don't forget to ice and be glad you don't do manual labor for a living

Nobody else has any stories or pictures or anything?
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

When did you get here?!?!

2012 double dare results

Thanks Clay, for the thread. The 2012 Double Dare was super awesome! It was our pleasure to host such an event for such a great group of people.

1. Tal Ingram / Dave Simpson – 25cp – 19:30
    2. Charlie Roberts / Chris Brown – 24cp – 21:51
    3. Adam Penny / Mark Sackett – 23cp – 21:37
    4. Nate Helms / Ryan Bell – 21cp – 20:42
    5. Lee Simril / Brenda Simril – 21cp – 21:28
    6. Clay Faine / Yuri Eliashevsky - 20cp – 19:24
    7. Rich Kidd / Alex Ransom – 20cp – 20:56
    8. Mark Miller / BJ Froystad – 19cp – 19:03
    9. Rob Conklin / Scott Ramming – 19cp – 19:11
    10. Patrick McMahon / Allison Granger – 19cp – 19:33
    11. Alex Hawkins / Dave Anderson – 18cp - `8:07
    12. Kaysee Armstrong / Scott Smith – 18cp – 19:17
    13. John Hicks / Mefford Williams – 17cp – 19:20
    14. Ryan O’Conner / Wes Soward – 15cp – 16:50
    15. Kip Clyburn / Sophie Clyburn – 14cp – 20:12
    16. Jason Leonard / Bryan Harrington – 12cp – 12:00
    17. Jim Rivers / Gary Chambers – 12cp – 18:51
    18. Mike Pierce / Debbie Gillespie – 11cp – 14:57
    19. Damien Rodulfo / Josh Wilson – 11cp – 17:20
    20. Jim Johnson / James Carlisle – 11cp – 18:15
    21. Daniel Sanders / Chris Joice – 11cp – 19:15
    22. Jana Morris / Chris Adams – 10cp – 14:28
    23. Sam Salmon / Jordan Salmon – 10cp – 14:32
    24. Kevin Dobo / Alex Cavner – 10cp – 16:22
    25. Robert Winter / Luke Grieve – 9cp – 14:47
    26. Zak Slaybaugh / Chad McKenzie – 8cp – 12:02
    27. Mert Dunne / Mark Farnsworth – 8cp – 12:35

Solo
    1. Matt Fusco – 23cp – 20:38
    2. Curtis Burge – 23cp – 20:49
    3. Kelly Klett – 22cp – 19:00
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    woot! i believe according to biking custom i just earned a free entry to next years race! thus proving that not doing any training at all might actually pay off!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

When did you get here?!?!
    MCD, Yes. You're in for free next year.
    Drifty, It's an airgun, not a FIREarm, no training necessary (except teaching you to aim last year).
    Photos from the race promoters perspective to follow soon.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Awesome x 2!

After being off the bike for a year for a high school exchange in Chile, Sophie joined me for her first taste of Pisgah Productions epic adventures (despite just one singletrack ride at Lake Norman since her return). About an hour into the ride, Sophie's handlebar broke so we returned back to camp thinking a trip into town was in order to find a replacement and hopefully still snag the mandatory. Fortunately, a spare bike we brought to sell had a stem/bar combo that would work so Eric helped us strip the two bikes and make the swap. So at 2:30p we were back in the game and headed to Pilot.

We decided to pick up Club and Saddle Gap on the way back to camp and scored some water from some nice bear hunters we surprised at night out on Coontree. Dreaming of raman noodles and our leftover subs, we were surprised to find our friend Cam had drove up from Hickory and set up a posh pit beside our van, cooking us a delicious dinner of grilled chicken, bean and mac-n-cheese. Cam, you're awesome!

Sunday morning was a rough start after 4 hours of "sleep" but turned into a monster day of riding, pickled eggs and hiking. Sophie loved the drag-a-bike back up to Coontree Gap and the climbs to Presley and Buckhorn. We finished up about 5:30p Sunday, 14CPs, totally wiped but in awe of the amazing experience. Twin Dragons Buffet capped off a start to replacing the few thousand calories lost from 20 hours on the bike.

Thanks Eric for an awesome weekend. Show and Tell at school will be fun this week once the bruises and lacerations fully color in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-2012-10-20-15.46.20.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-2012-10-20-18.45.25.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-2012-10-21-10.16.01.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-2012-10-21-11.34.28.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-2012-10-21-13.31.12.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-2012-10-21-15.52.45.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-404637_4941693342998_1841462463_n.jpeg  

Anyone want to talk about how Awesome the Double Dare was?-598756_4869269574568_1495665826_n.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kclyburn View Post
    Twin Dragons Buffet capped off a start to replacing the few thousand calories lost from 20 hours on the bike.
    Love me some Twin Dragons

mtbr member
    kip- that's a great story.

drunken pirate
    Thanks for the great post Kip! It was a pleasure seeing you at the Hatchery Sunday. It wound up taking us almost two hours to shuffle our way to John Rock and back in our bike shoes.

Who else has stories and pics? Me and Kip weren't the only ones here who went for a ride!

Oh, and Eric, every weapon becomes firearm once placed into my hands! Watch your mailbox in the coming days it could explode!
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah