Reluctant Tree Hugger

Anyone in the Triangle have Pivot Mach 6?

I'm looking at upgrading by Spring and am interested in the Mach 6. However I would like to try one before spending that kind of money. The only seller I found nearby is Frank's and he doesn't have one to try.

So I'm wondering if anyone near Raleigh has one they might let me try for a little bit. I won't rag it out since I'm currently not in shape to take any risks before my shoulder is healed, but would like to get a feel for it.

Much appreciated.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

ready to ride
    I don't have one, but rode one at Outerbike and it was my favorite of all the ones I rode which included Bronson, SB6c, SB5c, Giant Regin, Ellsworth Epiphany, Intense 275c, Spec. Enduro 27.5. I was about to pull the trigger on the M6 until the Ibis HD3 came out. Unfortunately the HD3 wasn't out yet and wasn't at Outerbike.

The HD3 has very similar geometry, DW Link, and but much better cable routing, which I really dislike on the M6, and better cockpit geometry. If the weather cooperates I am going to demo an HD3 next weekend. From everything that I am reading about it over on the Ibis forum this will most likely be my next bike. People are saying it is more plush than the M6 which I thought it handled chatter and square hits better than any of the other bikes and pedaled well. People are saying the HD3 pedals and handles better in the climbs than the M6. Plus I can get it with some preferred or better components such and the CCDB inline for less than the Pivot. Might want to add that to your list to consider. If you are interested I can PM you, or post back to this thread once I have demoed the HD3.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    You might post on TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill to get more localized attention. I'm sure somebody has one but I'm not sure if they frequent mtbr.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I don't have one, but rode one at Outerbike and it was my favorite of all the ones I rode which included Bronson, SB6c, SB5c, Giant Regin, Ellsworth Epiphany, Intense 275c, Spec. Enduro 27.5. I was about to pull the trigger on the M6 until the Ibis HD3 came out. Unfortunately the HD3 wasn't out yet and wasn't at Outerbike.

The HD3 has very similar geometry, DW Link, and but much better cable routing, which I really dislike on the M6, and better cockpit geometry. If the weather cooperates I am going to demo an HD3 next weekend. From everything that I am reading about it over on the Ibis forum this will most likely be my next bike. People are saying it is more plush than the M6 which I thought it handled chatter and square hits better than any of the other bikes and pedaled well. People are saying the HD3 pedals and handles better in the climbs than the M6. Plus I can get it with some preferred or better components such and the CCDB inline for less than the Pivot. Might want to add that to your list to consider. If you are interested I can PM you, or post back to this thread once I have demoed the HD3.
    Outerbike must've been a really fun day! I'm jealous.

Yeah, the more I look at the Ibis, the more I like it. It is definitely better spec'd for the price point. Can't beat the Pike with...well, a rock. The CCDB sounds really nice too.

Performance aside, I'm caught between the more rugged look of the M6 and refinement of the HD3 frames. Normally, I'd prefer rugged, but yeah the cable routing could possibly be an issue. I've heard numerous complaints about it and seen some pictures where it doesn't look that bad but others where it makes one wonder if cable routing wasn't even considered until the last minute when the designers thought, "Oh hell! The brakes and derailleurs have to have cables running to them, don't they?" Perhaps a more personal view would be helpful.

Both are tricky to find locally to see in person.

But yeah, lemme know how it goes.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFromNC View Post
    You might post on TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill to get more localized attention. I'm sure somebody has one but I'm not sure if they frequent mtbr.
    Ah, yes! Forgot about that site. Used it for a little while mostly to get updates on trails but forgot about the forum since there's not much posting there. I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can find the HD3 locally as well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was in a bike shop on Maynard Road in Cary a few months ago and noticed a Mach 6 leaning against the wall near the mechanic area. It was built with Enve wheels (pink stickers), pink saddle, XX1, and pretty much anything you could imagine. I asked the guy at the counter what's the story on that bike and he said it belonged to a lady doctor and she just had it built up. Apparently she has a garage full of blinged out bikes.

Maybe you could demo hers, or marry her?

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Haha! Hell yeah! Sounds like marriage material to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    If the weather cooperates I am going to demo an HD3 next weekend. ..............
    .........If you are interested I can PM you, or post back to this thread once I have demoed the HD3.
    Wondering where you've found an HD3 to jump on?
    Traded emails with Pivot and was told they'll probably do another demo in April like they did in '14. Haven't heard back from Ibis on demo days. Would happily drive to Brevard to get on one.
    Have been eyeing both of these bikes, but had decided that the Mach 6 was closer to the travel and slack I'm looking for. Also looking at the Nomad, Spec Ed Enduro, Warden and Balance.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Rocky Mtn Altitude
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

ready to ride
    Regarding the Demo, a little miscommunication. Pretty much figured that from the outset. The Hub has one in large for sale. They let me demo it today around the parking lot. I said great I will be back in about 4 hours. They didn't think it was as funny as I. Obviously I can't make a meaningful comment on the bike from riding it around the parking lot. What I did do was bunny hops, manuals, and while no one was looking manualing into and over the concrete parking blocks trying to simulate square hits and chunk. No substitute for taking it down Buckwheat and Bennett, but if felt good. Everything about that bike is designed well. Its tight! The cable routing is way better than the M6. I instantly felt right at home in the cockpit of the large. I'd say they size similarly to Santa Cruz bikes. If that bike would have had the Fox 36 on it I'd probably giving you a full review as it would be in my basement.

Just some observations on the other bikes you mention. The Nomad would be a close into my choice withe HD3 and M6. The deal breaker for me is the Nomad I demoed in Scotland didn't climb well in technical climbs. Which admittedly isn't a strength of mine. Also felt clunky and stiff in tight corners. Now point it straight down it will plow right through it. While the Nomad is technically a trail bike it is simply not nimble enough for what we have in WNC. I'd say it better suited for trails like Lithium in the Tetons. Kind of a cross between trail and park bike. Which isn't bad, just not what I need. Pretty much the same thing with the Enduro. I didn't like it on any of the climbs. That said, barreling down the top section of Farlow was like riding in a Lincoln town car. Very cush but not a whole lot of fun to drive. OK I had a blast but it just sucked up everything and wasn't real lively.

Given the similar geometries of the M6 and the HD3, and some of the things I thought were a bit better on the HD3 specifically the less slack seat tube and cable routing. I'm pretty much ready to lay my money down on the HD3. Considering using some skymiles and flying out to Santa Cruz to do a factory demo but because of work I probably couldn't swing that till March. So I am going to take a little bit of leap of faith. From what I came away by going to Outebike was just about all bikes at this price point are awesome. Some tend to be better in different ways and there is a lot of hair splitting. All the comparisons I have been reading between my top 3 choices, 2 of which I have spent time on, makes me want the one I haven't. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    mattnmtns, I'd be really curious to hear how this purchase works out for you, if in fact you end up with the Mojo or if it ends up as something else.
    Wondering what bike you're coming off?
    Also wondering what you thought of the Epic 650b? Sounds quite similar to the Nomad.

And if anyone knows of NC demos for any of these bikes, feel free to post up in here so we get the update.
    Cheers.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Rocky Mtn Altitude
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

ready to ride
    I'm still sold on getting the Mojo, seems like the best swiss army knife do it all bike. I've been out of town on business but working on getting one ordered within the next month, so depending on supply that might mean early spring.

I'm coming off a Tallboy Al. and there isn't much I won't do in Pisgah on it. Hell I have taken it out to Teton pass and up to Beech. Clearly pushing it beyond it's design, hence the reason I have been looking to upgrade to something with more travel.

Regarding the Enduro, I personally am not sure I could own a Specialized. Just not a fan of their business tactics, even though my first bike was an 86 Stumpjumper that looks ridiculous by today's standards. Also it didn't help I was ready to buy a M6 and all the Spec dealer wanted to do was talk up the Enduro, despite them being a Pivot dealer and having no experience with the M6. I guess I should maybe thank them though, since the HD3 is now out. Not that any of that has anything to do with how the bike rides. I'm not a fan of the FSR suspension. Didn't care for it climbing at all, just not efficient IMO, and the enduro I was on didn't seem to be either. Granted it was setup 1x10 and was the aluminum version. Downhill it just kept asking for more, same with the Nomad. In the end what I remember the most about the Enduro is that I like the M6 more. For me riding Pisgah I want something a bit more versatile and a bit more agile than the nomad and enduro. Out west with big, long, steep, open runs and drops etc. I would probably go with the Nomad or SB6c. Too much tight twisty stuff in Pisgah and despite the Church videos most of the riding is Pisgah just isn't like that. At least with me behind the bars lol.

I just noticed last week that Outerbike is doing a spring (March) and summer run at Moab and Whistler. While tempting to go to the early Moab, I'd rather put that money towards a new bike. There is always going to be something newer and awesomer, and between most of these bikes we are really starting to split hairs. If you are in the market and have the time and money it might be worth your time to go ride some of these bikes for yourself.