mtbr member

Anyone race the Icycle downhill on a 6" travel bike?

I am interested in competing in next years Icycle downhill but I don't have a full blown downhill rig. Is the course doable on a 6" all-mountain rig. This would be my first downhill race. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Marshall
    Last edited by mb3designs; 09-21-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: named wrong race
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Official Geek Cyclist
    I'm not sure that they are doing the Night Train event anymore. Are you talking about The Icycle that occurs in February? It is a cross-country event and nightime downhill event.
    [SIZE=4]Beer [SIZE=2]&[/SIZE] Bikes[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstinsley
    I'm not sure that they are doing the Night Train event anymore. Are you talking about The Icycle that occurs in February? It is a cross-country event and nightime downhill event.
    Yeah, that's the one. I was not sure of the name of the downhill race, thought the Icycle was just the XC race. Thanks, I'll edit my initial post
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Yeah, that's the one. I was not sure of the name of the downhill race, thought the Icycle was just the XC race. Thanks, I'll edit my initial post
    Travel or no travel! last year there was a guy who rode the Downhill on a Cyclecross bike. Eric Pisgah Productions rode it on his Rigid Waltworks. enough beers it's do-able too many beers, well you're screwed more important than travel, is a good mud tire supa sloppy!

Official Geek Cyclist
    Like Brad said, any bike will do with enough "liquid courage"!

Seriously, that downhill is not something that you need a big-hit bike to do. As a matter of fact, they run a downhill class called "hard tail - hard ass" which is for folks on fully rigid bikes (front and rear).

Bottom line is that the Icycle is a "DO NOT MISS" event for anyone who loves to have a great time - whether you race or not! I hope to see you there

Philosophizer
    A full on, long travel DH rig is too much for that course. Any good trail bike will do. You need something that will pedal well.
    I hate rude behavior in a man.....won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F Call.

Category Winner
    My first time I did it on a 4" travel bike.
    The second time I was on a 5/6" travel Bullit.
    The third time I was on a 7/6" Bullit.
    The last time I was on my full rigid.
    I never had anything other than an assload of fun. A DH bike would be way overkill, and there is a couple of "pedally" sections. Beers do help, but be careful. We found out that there is a whole lot of time between the XC race and the DH race and you can get in over your head before they start running the practice shuttle.
    I don't make it up there every year (it's a bit of a drive for us flat landers), but maybe '07.
    Don't forget, BYOB.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    And if it is cold like last year be sure to get your bike next to the fire to let your drivetrain thaw out.

Official Geek Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by 2morrow
    And if it is cold like last year be sure to get your bike next to the fire to let your drivetrain thaw out.
    That's why it's called the ICYCLE! It rocks when it SNOWS!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info everyone Now, what type of lighting setup would you recommend, helmet light, or helmet and bar mounted light,...... Yeah, I will watch my alcohol consumption prerace. Last thing I wanna do is go bouncing off another tree at 30+ mph. Oh well, at least that way it doesn't really hurt until the next day
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Category Winner
    Thanks for the info everyone Now, what type of lighting setup would you recommend, helmet light, or helmet and bar mounted light,...... Yeah, I will watch my alcohol consumption prerace. Last thing I wanna do is go bouncing off another tree at 30+ mph. Oh well, at least that way it doesn't really hurt until the next day
    The last part of the course has a steep switchback/drop-in that I am sure a handlebar alone set-up would not illuminate too well. If you have both lights run 'em.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Helmet for sure!!!... it's better to see where you're are looking, than where the bar is pointed! Both is is nice, but having to choose one or the other, go helmet!

though one thing headlight + snow falling + plus a couple of brews = some kickass tunnel vision

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I wasn't 100% sure. A bar mounted light seems like it would move around too much at higher speeds going over rocks and roots. I am gonna purchase one soon so I figured I would ask for some advice. Any suggestions for a good lighting system under $200? Thanks.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I wasn't 100% sure. A bar mounted light seems like it would move around too much at higher speeds going over rocks and roots. I am gonna purchase one soon so I figured I would ask for some advice. Any suggestions for a good lighting system under $200? Thanks.
    I've gone the cheap route, and you truly get what you pay in lighting systems...so you may want to spend a little , and get a good set up front!!!... and not do like i did, and get a total of three... started with a specialized set...totally dug night riding, but these lights sucked (they were $100) so then i went with the Vista light Nightsticks... a good cheap light, just no battery life, then i bought extra batteries for extended night rides which turned into carrying the extra weight of spare batteries... Upgraded to JetLite (excellent cs) Phantom i13 20w halogen. kickass bright light, and 4-6 hour burn time, with three settings, and fuel gauge.

i prefer the halogen over the HIDs bulbs are cheaper, i like the yellow color of the light over the blue HID... for some reason (to Me) the HID casts too many contrasting shadows that fvck my vision up...like riding with an acetylene torch on your head it's all about personal preference. at the last Icycle DH there were alot of double light systems and 90% were HIDs

good luck in your quest. would recommend staying away from any thing LED!!!!!!!!!! just not enough light!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Brado!
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Pisgah Native
    The Icycle-
    the date is FEB. 3rd
    so you can mark you 2007 calender
    the J&W events website will be updated soon
    I'll have more info coming soon
    go ahead and book you cabins

Wes D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes D
    The Icycle-
    the date is FEB. 3rd

go ahead and book you cabins

Wes D
    Where is the place to reserve a cabin? Close to the race venue I hope so I can get super smashed after the race and hang around and bull$h!t with everyone. Sorry for the stupid a$$ questions. Like Joe Dirt said, "I'm new, I have no idea what's going on!"
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Pisgah Native
    Where is the place to reserve a cabin? Close to the race venue I hope so I can get super smashed after the race and hang around and bull$h!t with everyone. Sorry for the stupid a$$ questions. Like Joe Dirt said, "I'm new, I have no idea what's going on!"
    www.fontanavillage.com is the website. the lodge rooms are the closest but the cabins are nice if you have a group.

Wes D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes D
    www.fontanavillage.com is the website. the lodge rooms are the closest but the cabins are nice if you have a group.

Wes D
    Thanks Wes I am gonna try to rent a cabin for the girlfriend and myself.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]