mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Anyone have a 20" kid's bike?

I'm in WNC looking for a 20" geared bike for my soon to be 6 yr old. He can't hang with his big brother in Bent Creek anymore since big brother got gears. I hate to drop a couple of bills on a HotRock that he'll outgrow in a year, but I'd be happy to buy someone's used. Girls bikes are okay, we have spray paint! (Plus, big brother insisted on a pink Haro anyway )
    Post here or PM me if you can help a brother out.

Tim

pronounced may-duh
    Unless he's very short, I'd suggest going for a 24" wheeled bike. My 6 year old is on one now. It has an 11" frame and with the seat all the way down he fits pretty good. With the tiny frame, it has basically the same stand over as a 20" wheel BMX bike. But it rides like real mtn bike with a full set of gears, vee brakes, fork shock, etc... Much more trail worthy then a BMX and he won't out grow it quite as fast as a 20" wheeled mtn bike.

Good luck in your search. Try craigslist.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Big brother's Haro is a 24, about to be handed down in a year or so, and it's just a hair too big right now. Just need something to tide him over till the hand-me-down.

Gabe.....
    I've got a nice geared KHS with 20" wheels that my kid out-grew...........I'll pm you with the details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a 20" kid's bike?-s5032166.jpg  

Last edited by Smokebikes; 11-18-2010 at 02:05 PM.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes
    I've got a nice geared KHS with 20" wheels that my kid out-grew...........I'll pm you with the details.
    Timdvm! Dibs on this bike when you're done. Deal?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Don't know- we have a neighborhood full of groms. But if I pass it up, I'll let you know.
    Tim

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    Unless he's very short, I'd suggest going for a 24" wheeled bike. My 6 year old is on one now. It has an 11" frame and with the seat all the way down he fits pretty good. With the tiny frame, it has basically the same stand over as a 20" wheel BMX bike. But it rides like real mtn bike with a full set of gears, vee brakes, fork shock, etc... Much more trail worthy then a BMX and he won't out grow it quite as fast as a 20" wheeled mtn bike.

Good luck in your search. Try craigslist.
    Interesting. I've always gone against the 24" wheel size. I've always been of the opinion that it's better to completely outgrow the 20" and jump right to the XXS or XS 26" bike. A 24" kids bike also has a short life and it's not much smaller than the tiny adult bike.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"