pronounced may-duh

Anybody got an X-type BB

I've got a raceface evolve XC x-type crank and BB. After 400 miles, several stream crossings and post ride wash downs the bearings are totally siezed. I can get new suposedly better bearings for 20.00. Problem is the tool to install the bearings is 90.00 Thats 110.00 to replace the bearings on a crankset that cost me 140.00. Anybody got this tool? Want to loan it to me? I live in fletcher.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    you can get a new set of cups for about 25 bucks and pedros makes the wrench that fits the raceface x bottom bracket for 11-15 dollars. I've got the evolve dh x-type and I bought my cups and tool from harvey at backcountry.

Goat of Legend
    David,

Get a bearing puller from enduroforkseals.com

$5.99

listed on http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id61.html

and a set of bearings

$19.99

listed on http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id101.html

They have a more expensive ($100 +) custom puller/presses on their sited but the one up above can pull them. The covers snap in place will a quick slap of the palm of the hand.

I have a X type BB that you can borrow until you get a replacment set of bearings or new BB. I need it back though. I'm selling my RaceFace Atlas Cranks with the X type BB for $85. I live in Hendersonville off Finley Cove if you want it PM me.

Jeremy

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by steve owens
    you can get a new set of cups for about 25 bucks and pedros makes the wrench that fits the raceface x bottom bracket for 11-15 dollars. I've got the evolve dh x-type and I bought my cups and tool from harvey at backcountry.
    Steve:

Thanks for the reply BUT! The raceface bearings that come in a new set of cup are totally garbage. I'm gonna keep the cups I have and replace just the bearings. I was planing on getting the enduroseal bearing set that Jeremy has sugested. I have the wrench to install and remove the cups. I don't have the special tool that presses the old bearings out of the cups and the new bearings into the cups. That special bearing press tool is what costs 90.00 from enduro.

Jeremy:

Thanks for the offer but I'm already up and running with a retro square tapper Ti BB and a very cool looking old school cooks bros crankset. I still need to repair the x-type set for use on my ridgid bike. I will try the 5.00 cheapy bearing puller. It's just hard to believe that a 5.00 tool that looks like a paperclip can do the job of that machined 90.00 bearing press. But if it works then I'm golden. Thanks for the cost saving advice. You da man

pronounced may-duh
    UPDATE!

Got my new bearings and seals from enduro and installed them last night. THERE IS NO NEED FOR THE EXPENSIVE FANCY BEARING PRESS. I removed the old bearings from the cups with screw driver and a hammer. I installed the enduro bearings in the cups with a bolt some washers and a hammer. All very easy. The new bearings are silky smooth. Lets hope they last longer than the stock race face bearings.

I opened up one of the old stock race face bearing cartridges to see how bad they were. All the grease was gone and every thing was a black, dry, gritty, gummy mess. Either the stock race face grease was washed away or it degraded. Maybe it's the seals they use or bad grease but 400 miles is way too soon for bearings to get this bad. If anybody else is running an X-type BB and doing wet muddy pisgah type riding, I suggest you check your bearings.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Glad to see DIY bearing changes. Do you think a headset cup press would work for the bearing relacement??

I had trouble with my RF X-type cranks too.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    Glad to see DIY bearing changes. Do you think a headset cup press would work for the bearing relacement??

I had trouble with my RF X-type cranks too.
    Yeah! maybe with some washers to better fit the size of the bearings it could work. You got a headset press?

In the past, I have used a hammer and a 2x4 to get my headset cups in. You could make your own press with a bolt and some washers. The real parks headset press is ten times faster but the tool costs like 150.00.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I have a homemade one. I purchased just the staggered cup adapters and got a threaded barstock and some 3/4" nuts. It works as good as any press I've ever used. Total cost was about $40.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

rob
    slakDawg
    Also, check out this thread under the Everything Drivetrain forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309
    Last edited by rob; 08-09-2006 at 01:26 PM.