mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Alt. Heartbreak Ridge Loop?

Is there a trail or FS road to connect to Heartbreak Ridge out of Black Mountain, NC? Seems like I remember somebody mentioning an old toll road? I've got the new Trails Illustrated map - doesn't seem to show anything obvious (other than the Montreat Trail System, which I understand is off limits to bikes).

I've ridden the ORAMM route so I'm now intimately familiar w/ Curtis Creek, but I'm hoping there's a loop that doesn't involve climbing Curtis Creek. I've got some buddies that would like to hit Heartbreak Ridge as part of a shorter loop if it's even possible.

I appreciate any suggestions!

mtbr member
    There's a couple of different ways to get there through Black Mountain- the less confusing one is to park at the Lookout trailhead in Montreat and take the Rainbow Road (so signed) to Old Toll Road all the way up to the Heartbreak turn- but be forewarned!! There are several (seriously- several) unsigned turns that lead into the heart of nowhere on this route. It is NOT recommended w/o a local guide, although it could be done. Also, the "entrance" into Heartbreak is different this way- you turn right at the 3rd set of wierd trailers and/or cabin - you will know what I am talking about if you do this.
    You will ride back into Black Mountain and through city streets to Montreat- there's a way through Ridgecrest, but I'm not going to try and give these directions.
    This all said- it is extremely easy to get lost going this way- plus the climb up Old Toll really ain't easier than Curtis Creek- in fact, it's much more technical, just not as mind-numbingly steep.
    I'd stick with the excellent route that you know and is easy to follow.
    Am I making my point?
    Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Point taken - having spent a little time in the area, I can imagine the remote places you could find yourself with a few wrong turns. Good to know the possibility is there though - nice to have options. May embark on the adventure with map and compass sometime if I'm not lucky enough to hook up with a local.

Thanks for the info. Mike!

Matt

banned

Call Al or Wes @ Epic Cycles

They will be able to hook you up on when and where the next group of local riders will be doing heartbreak. Nobody knows that trail system better than the LBS. 828-669-5969

Do It Yourself
    It's not on the map because the Montreat area is private property.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member

Toll Road.. Oct 1-Jan 1

The bear hunters that lease the property close the toll road to everyone except hikers. They are a serious group of folks and are "nice" enough to let traffic through the rest of the year...so dont even think about a route up the toll road past the sign that says "Closed Oct-1-Jan 1.......