mtbr member

All alone at BC with my $4.95 orange vest

Must have seen 20 other riders today on Rice-Pinnacle and Wolf Branch today and I was the only one dressed in House of Remington.( If you were there, you know me; the old fat guy stopping to pant after every climb!)

I have no illusions about the Blaze Orange vest stopping a trigger from being pulled; but after hearing that a North Carolina Judge acquitted a hunter of manslaughter because the victim didn't wear orange, well....

If I get offed in the woods this season, I want to know the shooter will fry.
    IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Gabe.....
    Guilty...........but I look NOTHING like a dear, butt-crack and all. Don't feel bad, I'm an old fat guy with no balls.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

pronounced may-duh
    I was in Augusta and rode FATS last weekend with my kids. Everybody (and I mean everybody) on the trail had on blaze orange. We were the only fools without the don't shoot me colors. Perhaps the hunters down there can't tell a dear from a bike. One of my sons had on a white helmet that was bobbing around in deer like rhythm as he hit the numerous rollers. I actually started to think I might get the kids killed. That would be a tough call to make to the wife...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We were riding an undisclosed location here in tn a few weeks ago and came across a ranger. We thought he was going to ream us for being where we were. Instead we got a very nice lecture about wearing blaze orange on head and chest. During the lecture someone shot a deer close enough to us to really drive the point home. Good news is maybe that trail is not a poach.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Relating to a recent post for new readers.

WNC's Rifle Season for Deer Opens Monday...

For MB65's headset count, I'll edit my tag.

I am a fool for those special connections

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    USFS Ranger or NC Game Warden?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    the hunters i know say they appreciate when non hunters where orange during hunting season while in the woods.

the hunters i don't know have thanked me for wearing orange when they see me in the woods during hunting season.

it isn't a large burden on me to put the orange on . and it seems to make others happy. so i wear orange when i ride in areas hunting is allowed and in season. it is a pr thing for me mostly, not a safety thing.

mtbr member
    Hopefully "commuter" bright neon green works for you. Ok, I'll admit it, I didn't start the ride w/ the vest on, but thought better of it when I saw the 40th redneck w/ a gun... also, what's the deal w/ "hunting" and drinking (and littering) really cheap beer? I swear I saw a 12 packs worth on my ride yesterday of mostly gravel roads...
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member

Trying to buck the system???

Quote Originally Posted by seenvic
    the hunters i know say they appreciate when non hunters where orange during hunting season while in the woods.

the hunters i don't know have thanked me for wearing orange when they see me in the woods during hunting season.

it isn't a large burden on me to put the orange on . and it seems to make others happy. so i wear orange when i ride in areas hunting is allowed and in season. it is a pr thing for me mostly, not a safety thing.
    Trying to buck the system by making an effort to get along with another forest user? THANKS!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    , but thought better of it when I saw the 40th redneck w/ a gun... ..
    Whats with this elitist, anti-gun, liberal chic? Sure there are beer-guzzling mouth-breathers toting rifles in our woods but a fair share of enlightened hunters as well.

Just look at Dick Cheney and his lawyer, who, I understand, has made a complete recovery.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    and i thought i was all alone in my cheap crappy vest out there this morning...was out for about two and a half hours and only saw one other person, who was hiking, wearing any orange at all...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC
    Whats with this elitist, anti-gun, liberal chic? Sure there are beer-guzzling mouth-breathers toting rifles in our woods but a fair share of enlightened hunters as well.

Just look at Dick Cheney and his lawyer, who, I understand, has made a complete recovery.

Thanks for the belly laugh. My generalizations are reserved for those who deserve them. I've seen more 'necks w/ guns vs real woodsman in my travels in the Ranger District unfortunately. And littering seems to be very popular this time of year - this is my main gripe w/ that user group. Hard to argue canned beer and high powered rifles, no?

Valid point on the hunter orange, and a reminder why I usually just take a break from the trails at this time. IMO, we should actually let the hunters "have at it" this time of year. We get the trails the other 50 weeks, plus trail conditions suck now any way.

And another thing...

steps off soap box.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan6161
    only saw one other person, who was hiking, wearing any orange at all...
    That was prolly me. My arse is so big you wouldn't have noticed I was pushing the bike up a slight incline

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    I don't look good in orange....

Beer drinking biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maida7
    I was in Augusta and rode FATS last weekend with my kids. Everybody (and I mean everybody) on the trail had on blaze orange. We were the only fools without the don't shoot me colors. Perhaps the hunters down there can't tell a dear from a bike. One of my sons had on a white helmet that was bobbing around in deer like rhythm as he hit the numerous rollers. I actually started to think I might get the kids killed. That would be a tough call to make to the wife...

Yes, I think after that call you would join SmokesBikes and also have no balls

I try to remember to wear bright colors but it's usualy not orange, my fav winter jersey is a bright purple so I hope that's enough? Also on the beer comment, I'd say hunters in Bent Creek are less likely to be keeping themselves warm with a 6 pack than Pisgah but usually the stupid ones are stupid with or without beer. 450 Volts, you are smart and if more of us follow your lead maybe those of us that aren't wearing orange will look stupid.
    DirtyMtnBikeHer
    I have a passion for all things dirt!
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    I'm not sure why exactly, but my husband, a long-time hunter, will absolutely NOT ride in Bent Creek during the 3 week rifle season. He doesn't have a problem w/ the rest of Pisgah. I think it has to do with how heavily used BC is that makes him think anyone hunting there is more likely to be an idiot and thus dangerous.