XC Champion
    May 2006

Alexander Bike Park

Anybody know anything about the Alexander Bike Park? I never even realized that it existed until last week and I live out there almost beside it. I heard there was supposed to be some freeride stuff going in there. Does anyone know who takes care of it or how I would go about helping? I'd love to get a great bike park going here as that's definitely one thing we're lacking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Yep, try it!

Last time I rode it (early spring) it wasn't in bad shape. I've seen it before covered with poisoin ivy, thorns, and dead pine trees but it's been cleaned up.There has been some trail clearing lately and I believe but can't confirm that new trails should be built (finished? in progress? plans dropped?) over there too. Now that it's cooled down some I might go ride it myself (it gets ridiculously hot there during the summer). Go give it a shot and give us a trip report! You can't miss the parking area on River Road and the loop trail is obvious.

mtbr member
    There was supposed to be a freeride park built in Alexander after the completion of some new XC trails. The whole project has been put on hold. Here is the link to the July Pisgah Area Sorba newsletter that gives some insight into the situation.
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/docs/julynewsletter.pdf
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I remember reading that now. I guess the grant money is lost. Way to go, Buncombe County!

mtbr member
    I don't know if the grant money is lost or what, haven't attended a Pisgah area sorba meeting since April. Hopefully work will be allowed continue in the future and the grant money will still be available to build the new trails and the freeride park. Hey mtbwnc, the new website is lookin' good, checked it out yesterday. I had no idea that they were getting ready to do more logging in the Bent Creek area, hopefully the carnage will be minimal.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks - now I just need to ride more and expand the site. I've just about got it converted entirely to the new format.

I can't wait till they're DONE at Bent Creek and things settle down over there. Although it should be interesting when they drain the lake...hopefully I can get a camera in there when that happens.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that is going to be interesting to see Lake Powhatan drained. Hopefully it will not affect the aquatic life, my father and I go fishing there quite often and there are some very nice bass in that lake. Is the work scheduled to take place over the fall and winter months? Regarding Alexander park, Buncombe county needs to step up and fullfill their "proposed" obligation to the riders that have spent so much time and energy working on Alexander park. If the grant falls through the blame should be placed directly on Bucombe county's shoulders for not communicating the small details regarding the landfills usage of the park.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Forest Service plans to let people fish the heck out of the lake before it is drained, and I think they mentioned relocating any floppers. However, I can't find the info on their web site - it keeps saying "forbidden". The project should improve the health of the lake overall.

And I agree - Buncombe County just isn't interested in helping Alexander Park along. That's really something to spring on us after the fact - "Oh, we can build these roads through your trails anytime and anywhere we wish. Didn't you know that?"

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    <---lives in taylorsville

i JUST got my bike...so i haven't ridden it yet...but i might

XC Champion
    May 2006
    So basically according to that SORBA article, the Alexander Bike Park is completely screwed? The $50k grant expires in 8 days, so I'm guessing that we can't do much about it. To be sure we can all come together and make this happen...

mtbr member
    Word through the grapevine is that the grant may be extended. I don't know any details now but I will find out.

Wow, great idea for a PAS newsletter article!

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    I don't know if the grant money is lost or what, haven't attended a Pisgah area sorba meeting since April. Hopefully work will be allowed continue in the future and the grant money will still be available to build the new trails and the freeride park. Hey mtbwnc, the new website is lookin' good, checked it out yesterday. I had no idea that they were getting ready to do more logging in the Bent Creek area, hopefully the carnage will be minimal.
    link to the info about more logging in Bent creek please?
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch
    link to the info about more logging in Bent creek please?
    Here is the link to mtbwnc's website where I read the info:
    http://www.mtbikewnc.com/trailheads/bentcreek.html
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Greetings from OR.

I am not home untill late Oct. but am trying to keep in touch on local issues via the SORBA listserve and here on MTBR.

I can shed some light on this issue.

Yes, the grant expires at the end on the month. Yes, WNCBDA is working to extend the life of the grant for a 1 year extension. Unknown to me if that has happened or not.

There were way too many un answered questions to begin construction at Alexender Park. After I had designed the new trail aligments and scoped old road beds to be used, we had a kick off SORBA work party before Trail Dynamics was supposed to do the bulk of the work. When we showed up with our equipment, the landfill had built a road on the flagline that SORBA volunteers had corridor cleared. This threw up major red flags for me and I began to ask what protection do we have for any work we do (in reguards to future landfill expansions and "borrow pits" for clay soils to cap off landfill cells as they close.

No one seems to really be able to answer those questions yet and as such it seemed a bad idea to charge ahead.

Maybe, there will be some expansion of this ride venue. I personally am not putting any faith in such at this time. I don't want to see 50K of grant money wasted on a facility that is short term at best or will not be used (due to various reasons).

Woody

mtbr member
    Woody- I'm on vacation too, in Colorado-good stuff, eh?
    Anyway, thanks for the reply. I agree that until we know Buncombe County will respect the trails and leave them as permanent features for us to use, we have no reason to pursuue trails at Alexander Park.
    RICHMOND HILL!!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Here's a link where I originally posted about the new logging occuring in the BC area:
    Baldwin Gap?

This is actually outside of the expiremental forest area on the north side of North Boundary, going down towards Candler and Biltmore Lake. It is an extensive logging and invasive species control project, and the reason for the pesticide signs up at 5 Points right now.
    In the long-run, this project leads to 6 more miles of "trail" (extraction road left to be trail) being built in this area, linking to BC trails- could be a good thing in the long-run.
    However, federal courts recently upheld the Clinton era "no new roads" executive order and the Baldwin Gap project called for the construction of some new roads- so I am not sure how this will impact the overall project.
    I'll try to get more details when I get back from vacation.
    Mike

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman

No one seems to really be able to answer those questions yet and as such it seemed a bad idea to charge ahead.

Maybe, there will be some expansion of this ride venue. I personally am not putting any faith in such at this time. I don't want to see 50K of grant money wasted on a facility that is short term at best or will not be used (due to various reasons).

Woody
    understandable. I was there helping build alot of the original trail there. The county has never been honest about how they will treat the trails at Alexander Park. And local aggression in the form of yahoos on 4 wheelers will never really be stopped. Police are more focused on drug deals to concern themselves with hillbillies cutting holes in fences to ride their ATV's in there.

Man, you should have seen the tool trailer for the bike club the weekend me & Fred pciked it up. Someone teed off on that thing big time. Those rednecks are just spiteful!

Plus...the dirt there is pure evil. And so are the briers. It's cursed I tell ya.

I'd love more than anything to develop it into a fixture, but the reality of it seems pretty gloomy. What is the county doing with the old dump now that it's capped and growing back up?
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Woody- I'm on vacation too, in Colorado-good stuff, eh?
    Anyway, thanks for the reply. I agree that until we know Buncombe County will respect the trails and leave them as permanent features for us to use, we have no reason to pursuue trails at Alexander Park.
    RICHMOND HILL!!
    Mike
    Yeah I took those trails for granted and now I wish I hadn't. Sure there isn't a ton to them but it's lovely riding your bike to single track from your front door. Probably the only thing I miss about NYS! So trail building there this winter? I'm all over it. We'll talk. Hope your vacation is going well!