mtbr member
    May 2012

Airborne Bikes in NC

Anyone riding an Airborne bike in NC? Just looking for local feedback!

Big Mac

Airborne Bikes in NC

I don't think so. Sorry.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have not seen any.

As far as what I have heard through the forums, people who own them like them. Of course, I highly doubt any of them are coming off high end brands either.
    What are you looking at? What type of riding are you doing? What are you currently riding?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Airborne Product Dude
    We do have folks that have come from other brands at similar pricepoints. Of course its only fair to make apples to apples comparisons, as comparing a $1300 Goblin to a $3K carbon Scott may be a bit "orange-ish".

There's a few Airborne owners from NC on the Airborne forum, so you can post up over there if you are interested in feedback. Most of our customers are up front and honest about their experiences with our brand and not too "fan-boyish".

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Big Mac

Airborne Bikes in NC

Weird

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just looking for feedback. I am riding a 2013 Jamis Nemesis 650b right now and just wanting a 29er. I ride pretty much single track stuff around NC!

mtbr member
    I have one of their Ti 26" hard tails but it's one of the earlier ones, before they went belly-up. If it's any help, it's been a great bike.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by cburgin View Post
    Just looking for feedback. I am riding a 2013 Jamis Nemesis 650b right now and just wanting a 29er. I ride pretty much single track stuff around NC!
    "Around NC" is a very broad term as NC has everything from some of the worst trails in the country to some of the best trails in the country.

Also stating you ride a "2013 Jamis Nemesis 650b" is also very vague as the different models range from the Sport at $790 to the Team at $6k (but I am guessing the Sport is what you have).

Anyways, like BigDaddyFlyer said, check the Airborne forum.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    This is my current ride.

2013 Jamis Nemesis | Mountain Bike Components and Reviews

Again, I am just looking the most bang for my buck 29er. Riding is a 3rd hobby behind 4wheeling and firearms and I do not need to drop a lot of coin to have fun. However, I would like something I enjoy riding, that fits me well, and keeps me out on the trails.

Rogue Exterminator
    That is a nice ride.
    What Airborne are you looking at?
    Why are you wanting 29" wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am Looking at the Goblin. I feel like the 29er setup will fit me better. I am 6'5" and I am riding the Jamis in an XL and top tube length still feels short and I hate having to run the 120mm stem! These are things I didn't fully understand when I started riding and now I do. Also, I want a little longer wheelbase since I like going fast and want more stability because my ass is getting old and crashing takes longer to recover. It doesn't necessarily have to be an Airborne but the company gives you a lot for the money and being a single Dad who puts my little one first, this stands out to me.

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I have one of their Ti 26" hard tails but it's one of the earlier ones, before they went belly-up. If it's any help, it's been a great bike.
    I also have 26" Ti Lucky Strike. I bought one of their first in "98" and broke it. They gave me a replacement in 2002. It's been thru several iterations. Still ride it, still love it. It's been all over North Carolina, Tenn, Ga, West Va and Virginia. The last time I took it off Spruce Knob down Huckleberry I swore off hard tails on rocks like that. Took the Kona back a couple months later, much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Goblin rider here, reppin' the north side of Charlotte. What up? Been riding it 1.5 years now.

thecentralscrutinizer
    The Airborne looks like a nice bike for the money. Someone your height would probably be more at home on a 29er.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I live in SC and I have an Airborne Goblin (18 inch). I was just at Dupont this past weekend. As for the bike, it will be hard to find a better spec'd bike for the price. Airborne's customer service is great as well. If you don't mind adjusting and working on the bike yourself, Airborne is definitely the way to go. I think knowing how to wrench on your bike is something everyone should learn anyways. I doubt you would fit on my bike, but anytime I'm at Dupont/Pisgah your welcome to test ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I ordered my Goblin a few days ago! My Jamis sold and I am looking forward to riding a 29er!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cburgin View Post
    I ordered my Goblin a few days ago! My Jamis sold and I am looking forward to riding a 29er!
    I live near Greensboro, NC and have 2 Goblin's. The original green one and the new black one that I preordered when they came out. I've raced locally on both as well as traveled to most of the trails within 2-3 hours of Greensboro without any issues.

I have around 2,800 miles on the black one thus far. I did swap out a number of parts to get the weight down (bars, stem, seatpost, wheels, tires, etc) but the frame, drive train, and brakes have remained untouched. However, over the last month or so I have replaced a the front chainring and cassette due to wear. I also replace the rear derailleur with an X9 Type 2, just because

I have had money set aside for a new bike for a while now but every time I test something it doesn't seem be much of an improvement. Plus, I'm ~190 lbs and ride hard. I have to stay away from the super lightweight stuff anyway.

I don't think you'll be disappointed for the price.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My friend rides a Skyhawk after breaking a bigbox FS bike at USNWC in 6 rides and not wanting to drop much coin to get into the sport. He loves it and at times I wish I had gotten one and threw a nice air fork on it. I ride a 2011 Cannondale F4 w/ Toro solo air. We've got 2 seasons on the bikes and they're doing equally well. Is the quality equal? I don't think so, but for the $350 he paid it's a steal!
    If/when I get a new bike, it'll be an Airborne.

mtbr member
    Airborne Bikes in NC-20140725_170031.jpgI have a hobgoblin XO and have ridden this area and it handles great! Will be in black mountain area this week! Hitting Kitsuma and heartbreak ridge. Any inside tips?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Any inside tips?
    Don't crash. Crashing sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140725_170031.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	416.8 KB 
ID:	910974I have a hobgoblin XO and have ridden this area and it handles great! Will be in black mountain area this week! Hitting Kitsuma and heartbreak ridge. Any inside tips?
    There will be races going down Kitsuma both days and Heartbreak Sunday. Hundreds of other riders on the trail potentially. Just FYI.