Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Holla!

Let's hear the route!
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    First off, sorry for such a delayed post. We had quite the adventure with Samford.

As you may know, we (Bike magazine) have been in Brevard, North Carolina, for the past two weeks testing 2012′s latest and greatest mountain bikes for the "Bible of Bike Tests." We were hardly here for a day before we heard of the Pisgah Gnome.

We knew this was something we had to be part of, so once most of our test riding was done, we set off to find Samford.

The full story of our adventure--including helpful hints and over 30 photos--is at: Bike Magazine Parties With the Pisgah Gnome.

This waterfall is at the bottom of 'a very' fun trail.

Look around for a hollow tree.
    Last edited by Bikemag; 10-15-2011 at 08:17 AM.

When did you get here?!?!

Pisgah, we have a problem.....

Well Samford will never be the same after last night's ride. We found him down by the river then took him on a tour of the Black Mountain/Bennett Gap area. He was on my back when 'the incident' occurred. While flying down black I checked a tree and heard an aweful sound. It wasn't until we were at Smoker's Cove that we noticed something wrong. Being the intrepid trooper that he is he just asked for a prosthesis and to return to the woods. So (most of) Samford is now at the huck rock on Bennett Gap trail. His feet? Somewhere on Black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1070403.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1070444.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1070446.jpg  

You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

ohhman
    As the sole family member to Samford, my lawyer will be in contact with you Eric!
    Civil Suit for medical bills and and emotional damage. We can maybe discuss a settlement...

Its got what plants crave
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

I'll go looking for the feet tomorrow

.... to be more specific they are somewhere between Pressley Gap and Thrift Cove.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What time did you find Samford? Looks like it was an epic night ride.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemag View Post
    We found him at 8:10pm. It was hard to find him. We dropped him off at 12:10am. We finished up the North Slope at 2:10am.

As epic as it gets
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    so here's the task at hand....someone needs to find Sam's feet and put them back on.....

ohhman
    Word is Lt. Dan is getting some new dancing feet.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Please, not another game... special test for DD? Super Glue alert.
    LTH: I incurred a head injury I could not recall, and woke up with the ability to read Icelandic fluently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemag View Post
    Epic indeed My phone died an hour or so before the end of the ride but still came up with these stats:
    Created by My Tracks on Android.

Total Distance: 42.11 km (26.2 mi)
    Moving Time: 3:24:01
    Total Time: 6:14:38 (including all refuel stops)
    Average Moving Speed: 12.38 km/h (7.7 mi/h)
    Max Speed: 42.04 km/h (26.1 mi/h)
    Max Elevation: 1236 m (4054 ft)
    Elevation Gain: 3133 m (10280 ft)
    Max Grade: 27 %
    Min Grade: -28 %
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Mike B, Zoe, ReggieDog, SophieDog, and I went hiking today. We found the feet and returned them to The Hub. Just as I had suspected they were just down the hill from Hickory Knob.
    ~E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-feet.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-hunting-gnome-feet.jpg  

ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    mike b, zoe, reggiedog, sophiedog, and i went hiking today. We found the feet and returned them to the hub. Just as i had suspected they were just down the hill from hickory knob.
    ~e
    victory!!!!!!
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    hah! I knew it

mtbr member
    JC and I went out looking for Samford yesterday on our ride down Bennett Gap. As we approached huck rock, we heard a rustling in the bushes. "Sam," I shouted. "Is that you?" "Jeez!" said the gnome, sounding particularly grouchy. "Can't a guy get some peace and quiet around here?" Sam said that ever since Eric had left him on Friday nigh/Saturday morning, there had been a constant stream of riders coming down the trail, all of them stopping to try and find the sickest line through the rocks. "If I hear someone say 'BRO!' one more time, I'm going to kill somebody!" "Woah, Sam. Take it easy," I said. "I'll get you out of here." So we loaded up and down the trail we went. Part of me thinks Sam was just looking to hitch a free ride down the delightful ribbon of singletrack that is Bennett Gap. JC and I had planned to end our ride there but, since I had promised to get Sam to somewhere a bit more peaceful, on we went. After a while I happened upon the perfect rustic retreat for Sam - a cabin in the woods...or what was left of one. Sam happily climbed up into the chimney and dosed off without so much as a thank you. I think he was just looking for a free ride, as usual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-imag0351.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-imag0349.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-imag0356.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-imag0352.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-imag0355.jpg  

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by salmansp View Post
    As the sole family member to Samford, my lawyer will be in contact with you Eric!
    Civil Suit for medical bills and and emotional damage. We can maybe discuss a settlement...
    I think Eric needs a restraining order on behalf of Samford -- somewhere on 5051 during his tour of North Mills River, the coveted OnZa toothbrush got lost too!

Its got what plants crave
    I saw the feet at The Hub when I was enjoying a pint after riding Butter Gap and Cove Creek earlier today.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I don't recognize that chimney. Good spot. Any more clues?

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by puddleducky View Post
    I don't recognize that chimney. Good spot. Any more clues?
    Awesome. Snotrotter and I know that chimney -- you can't see it all summer, and then right about now, it emerges out of the forest ... We first saw it during Double Dare last year.

Happy hunting!

mtbr member
    We almost left him there but we wanted to go break his feet off!

mtbr member
    If that chimney is on the right you have a good chance of seeing it. On the left and you are going to blow past it. It's close enough for me to get to it except my doc told me to stay off the trails for another few weeks....
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I decided to go see if Samford was ready to stop playing Santa. After all it was a cold night with no fire. He said he wanted to go stretch his new prosthetic leg. So off we went headed northeast eventually crossing over a swinging bridge, passing an old dam, getting our feet wet and then eventually popping out on a gravel road. We then headed west on the gravel road and turned north on the first trail we came to. We climbed a long way, all the while Samford yelling giddy up. When we came to the fork, Samford said he wanted to go right and make his way up to the parkway the next day. As I left I saw him setting up his camp under a rock ledge above the trail.

I'm trying to post the pictures but no success so far. Forum says I need a safety key?

mtbr member
    "Pineapple."

In the spirit of the hunt, great clues!
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

Quote Originally Posted by puddleducky View Post

I'm trying to post the pictures but no success so far. Forum says I need a safety key?
    PD, I think with the new mtbr system you need 10 posts before you can post pics. email the photos to me and I'll post them for you. pisgahproductions@hotmail.com

EDIT* Photos posted!

Also, to everyone, The gnome game has no rules that I can think of but in regards to 'hiding' Samford, I think he should be hidden from the general public but not from us on the forum. I think the person that moved him last should give real directions (here in this thread) to his new location but that on the ground he is out of sight so a non-gamer doesn't take him away. Anyone else care to chime in?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-139.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-144.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-146.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-149.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-156.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-157.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-162.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-165.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-168.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnomeo-171.jpg  

Last edited by pisgahproductions; 10-23-2011 at 04:41 AM.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast