Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    When did this game become gnome hide-and-seek? I thought the "rules" said to be completely transparent with Samford's location. Did I miss something?

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    When did this game become gnome hide-and-seek? I thought the "rules" said to be completely transparent with Samford's location. Did I miss something?
    The rules are covered in depth on page 6.

More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    The rules are covered in depth on page 6.

Soooo... hm I guess it's still up in the air. BUT at the bottom of a downhill and next to a creek really narrows Samford's location! Thank goodness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I believe more concrete clues will be coming this evening as soon as kateroo gets back to the computer.

lurkkid
    May 2012
    Gather your maps and trail guides, or ask a buddy who has more balls than brains, and start researching. *The key question is, if you want to Go Big downhill, which trails would you ride?
    And since you aren't toting the Gnome (yet), you can even shuttle this one. *Because the only rule in the game is that The Pisgah Gnome has to travel by bicycle. *
    When you get to the fork of the ridge, keep in mind that Samford likes his trails just like his women - Fast & Loose. *He IS an adventurous gnome.
    When you see water: *Stop. *Get off your bike. *Take a deep breath of the best wilderness left in the Blue Ridge Mountains. *Look around. *Enjoy the scenery. *Donít step on the snakes. *Slap the skeeters, or throw up a smoke screen. *Polish off that PBR before it gets too warm. *If you don't find Samford, get back on your bike and ride some more. *Repeat as necessary.

mtbr member

dear god, its me, Limey..where tf is the gnome?

err..I guess we are getting closer, but Pisgah is kind of big, and everyone has their own little trails that they consider the coolest and the biggest. I would say that its 'like finding a needle in a haystack', but saying its 'like finding a lawn ornament in 510 thousand square acreage of forest' is just as descriptive.

*The key question is, if you want to Go Big downhill, which trails would you ride?*

Am I retarded, or is this even more vague? Maybe a little more help for the kids that ride the short bus to Pisgah, pleaze

My first guess is Big Creek, but thats only because of the wording in the 'clue' and because there is water..but I have a feeling this is not where Sam is at..and should we take into account the last sighting of Sam was at pmbar? bottom of black?
    Maybe he's on Bennett, or Black, or Avery, or Farlow..I dunno, what are the kids riding these days?

and if I answered the question 'if you want to go big downhill, which trails would you ride?"
    well, shoo..that answer changes with the season and my mood..But I guess right now I would ride Pilot. Chunky, horrible, switchbacks! I love it. But Im not sure why you would shuttle it, my bike goes uphill and downhill...so Pilot must not be it. guess we all have our own definitions for going big.

Anyone else out there care to throw out a guess?

Help a sista out, I no longer have a way to make up routes for my rides anymore because the 111k is over, and the gnome game is going, err, downhill...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My initial thought was "Go Big downhill"= Farlow. You can shuttle it and when you get to the fork of [Daniel] ridge, he's on the right one.

But Im also terrible at riddles.

mtbr member
    I would say that if you can't figure out by the last description... don't worry he will be moved soon and maybe you can find him then.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

lurkkid
    May 2012
    I would say you're right, red fruit! Of course, I did stash the dude and script the clue....

But even before all the technology FU, I was 8 brews into a sixpack by the time we planted him. So I hope he's where I think I was...

WNDC needs to take bRad Gnome snatching for his bday!

Robtre
    Quote Originally Posted by kateroo View Post
    I would say you're right, red fruit! Of course, I did stash the dude and script the clue....

But even before all the technology FU, I was 8 brews into a sixpack by the time we planted him. So I hope he's where I think I was...

WNDC needs to take bRad Gnome snatching for his bday!
    Mater' knows best. He writes childrens books in his leisure time.

lurkkid
    May 2012

Pisgah Gnome has Moved!!

Went to check on Samford, he was still in his hangout on Daniel Ridge. We took him on a proper daytrip this time, with lots of photos to be posted tonight (eating like pigs at Cielito Lindo right now....). We left him on 140A, just west of Sassafras Knob, approximately 0.5 miles south from the junction of 5031 and 140A. He's on the large, wet-faced rock wall about 50 feet uphill from the trail, where the water runoff crosses the trail. When you look at the rock, he will be on the right hand side of a ledge, which looks like a cave from the trail below.

lurkkid
    May 2012

Checking on Samford

We parked at the bottom of Daniel Ridge off 475. Rode up counter-clockwise to check on Samford and found him still sleeping by the first water crossing. We packed him up, rode back to 475, and started climbing up to Gloucester Gap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-leaving-bike.jpg  

lurkkid
    May 2012

Daniel Ridge to Gloucester

We stopped at the waterfall on 475, to let Samford rehydrate. We crossed the Gap and came to 5003 on the right and started climbing again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-waterfall.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-starting-5003.jpg  

lurkkid
    May 2012

Sightseeing on 5003

We stopped at the white quartz outcropping. Samford wanted a closer look and did a little Gnome Bouldering on the quartz face. Then he saw the squashed turtle (and eggs) and decided he would rather ride than boulder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-white-quartz-5003.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-white-quartz-closeup.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-squashed-turtle.jpg  

lurkkid
    May 2012

Leaving 5003

We came to the end of 5003, terminating at a strange row of blue & white ribbons on metal fence posts at DP3. Turned right onto 140A and headed uphill (again!).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-blue-trail-markers-end-5003_turn-right-140a.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-dp3.jpg  

lurkkid
    May 2012

The Last Leg

Midway onto 140A, we got confused at a fork in the trail. Samford sat down to have a Probar and Sidener scouted ahead. We decided to stay left and cross the creek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-stay-left-cross-creek.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-probar.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-break-left-140a.jpg  

lurkkid
    May 2012

House Hunting

After some pretty steep climbs (or at least they never felt that fast descending in the past...) Samford spied a new hidey hole in a big rock face up to the right, just on the backside of Sassafras Knob. It had great elevation. A nice view of the trail below. A little water. And a beautiful driving range just out the front door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-prime-real-estate-140a.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-water-runoff-across-trail.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-moving-new-home.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-corner.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-smf-now-big-pic.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Found this today....

When did you get here?!?!
    It was a dark and stormy night.... Yes, the gnome was on the move last night. Mike B and I found him at about 11PM at his most excellent gnome home where he had been dropped off last. We then took him to his new home just off Farlow Gap trail. Follow Farlow down from the gap. When you get to the first waterfall follow the super sketchy trail down to the bottom of the falls. When you get to the bottom and the falls are to your left there is a boulder directly to your right. He's under there. (Photos are out of order)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100942.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100939.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100937.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100936.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100935.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100932.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100928.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100922.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100914.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1100911.jpg  

You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Samford had a little July 4th Ride today

Samford decided to have a little 4th of July ride today. After climbing to Farlow in a hail storm, things cleared up a little for the fun ride down to the waterfall he was staying at. I climbed down to find him resting comfortably in his rock. Here was his hiding place and a daytime pose in front of his waterfall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-hiding.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-waterfall.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Then took him on a nice casual ride east. Explored a route that I have never taken before. Was a beautiful day in Pisgah, The temperature was nice and the sun came out. I rounded a corner and started a short downhill when all of a sudden, this stunning view of Looking Glass made me lock up the breaks. Samford agreed that he liked the scenery and would be happy to stay within view of one of Pisgah's iconic rocks.

There is only one place in Pisgah with this view of Looking Glass, and it can only be seen in a short section of trail. If you are headed northeast or east on this seldom ridden path, as soon as you see the view, stop, look left and there is a dominant tree with three orange stripes on it. Samford is resting just behind this tree. The last picture shows both the view and tree together.

Oh, and one more clue: "Water is the life blood of the forest"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-looking-glass.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samfords-view.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-tree.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-new-hiding-2.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-wide-view.jpg  

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

sun came out for a bit and it looked like golfing wether!

Look who came out to take some practice swings in the sun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samfurd-golfing.jpg  

disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    well, i knew that the rain was coming so i took the little guy on a farewell tour of the westside, strapped him in tight and he was smiling all the way to the fish hatchery!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samfurd-bike.jpg  

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Then we went into Brevard to hang with the locals for a while...we will be heading back into the forest on tuesday, samfurd says he needs a little downtime after all this rain!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-amen-samfurd.jpg  

Politically Incorrect
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Samfurd took the time in Brevard to get refreshed. We got our nails did
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samfurd-nails.jpg  

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Samfurd then got one last practice swing in before going back into hiding. he is hiding very close to a chimney on the only place in all of pisgah where the location could be figured out with just one letter of the alphabet. he is not in the chimney, he is hidden at the base of the tree on the right side of the picture under some stuff so no one can accidently find him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samfurd-chimney.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samfurd-hide.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bored of the Chimney and in need of more action he decided to head further down the trail to catch some crashes at a gnarly little switch back!

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph3 View Post
    Bored of the Chimney and in need of more action he decided to head further down the trail to catch some crashes at a gnarly little switch back!

We failed to find him today. Care to give some more info?
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We failed to find him today. Care to give some more info?
    He is headed to town way of black look deep right on switch backsName:  NOME.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  9.1 KB
    Last edited by ralph3; 07-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.

drunken pirate
    We obviously did a bad job of checking the switchbacks on black.....

But as a reward for our failure we did get to ride all of Black
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We obviously did a bad job of checking the switchbacks on black.....

But as a reward for our failure we did get to ride all of Black
    Start from maxwell and head down

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

... and if we just ... When I got to him he was very dehydrated

So we packed it up and headed for the coldies...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnome.jpg  

mtbr member

I think we had a missed connection...

Samford, is that you? - w4m
    (<----link, if ya want the story, pictures below)

oh, hey!

Single as a dolla bill.

Pisgah luv <3

Looking upstream on Laurel Creek, from the first crossing near Laurel/Bradley intersection.

He is tucked up on the bank by the double-trunked fallen tree.
    Last edited by LimeyPerp; 08-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The gnome left the double tree for higher grounds in fear of flooding but still on bradley pics coming Look for this fallen tree then look up sream sitting up HIGH and dry he will be looking at you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-0805122101-1-.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ralph3; 08-06-2012 at 05:19 PM.

drunken pirate
    I failed again today
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I failed again today
    Were you on bradley

mtbr member
    I failed again today
    Right, I've been following this the whole time and have yet to find this lil guy. I guess it is probably best, I would end up corrupting him!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Well I got a glimpse of the cute lil guy riding on the back of a Clydesdale with really fat tires headed down Laurel Mtn trail. Who knows where he will end up.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yup, Samford is on the move again. Picked him up on top of a rock pinnacle on the far side of Bradley Creek, up in the north section where people rarely ride. Beautiful spot. We rode Bradley out to 1206, climed up to Laurel, then down Pilot Rock, back on 1206 over to cradle of forestry, then up club gap, down Avery, back up clawhammer, and down black. Rode into the Hub for a beer, where Samford hung out for a while. Samford then retired for he evening close by. He is up very near the intersection of Black and Thrift. Pictures to come tomorrow night. Samford has plans for a big Pisgah ride in the morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Samford decided to wander on over to checkout the new Bracken Mountain trail today. What a blast! Ended up riding from the hatchery over and down to the trail head, back up to the top, and then back up to the top again after looping back down to Brevard another way, along with some more riding, made it a nice 60 mile day in beautiful Pisgah. Pictures will have to be posted tomorrow, but Samford is on Bracken Mountain trail, near the top. There is only one place ( that I can tell) that a fallen tree crosses the trail and you ride under it. It even has a blue blaze on it at about head level as you pass under it. Samford is resting comfortably behind the upturned root ball of that tree. Go check out the gem Braken Mountain if you haven't been! Samford, says we owe all of the volunteers a beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Pics of Samford last weekend

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    So while my buddie Tosh was here from NOC the other day, I wanted to show him the new Bracken/shmackin' we got here in B-town.
    Little did we know the day would be made so much more interesting when we heard Samford call out to us from behind the fallen tree where he'd been chilling'.

Once the ride was done we offered to let him hang in my Jeep while he decided where he wanted to go to next.

Before we knew it, he had jumped over to the driver side and cranked it up.

I jumped back when he started racing the motor and before we could stop him....

He was cruisin' out the parking lot.

Samford is on the run! We have called the authorities and are waiting to hear what's become of Samford, my Jeep and my bike. If you see him please approach cautiously, I'd never seen him so insubordinate before. We can only hope there won't be too much mayhem to mop up once he's been apprehended.
    Last edited by FatTireGoose; 09-03-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

right....

yeah cool, you posted pictures of your jeep, that's a cool jeep and all, but how about stick with the game and post where the gnome is. He is to only travel by bike, not motor vehicle. go ahead, post up, you can do eeeeett!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    yeah cool, you posted pictures of your jeep, that's a cool jeep and all, but how about stick with the game and post where the gnome is. He is to only travel by bike, not motor vehicle. go ahead, post up, you can do eeeeett!
    Talk to the gnome.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Talk to the gnome.
    kinda hard to do if you don't post the location

Gnome
    Yeah, wha da hell's up wi dat?

Just don't give me to your dog.....................
    If you don't understand my silence,
    how are you going to understand my words?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Samford View Post
    Yeah, wha da hell's up wi dat?

Just don't give me to your dog.....................
    I'm out looking for ya today pal, you done with yer holiday weekend joy-ride yet? Let's settle this like adults,
    you give me back my stuff and I'll plant you anywhere you wanna be in Pisgah.

If not, Bohdi's mighty hungery and loves to chew on gnome bones.

J/K, he would never do that. ........but I might.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Well snap, look who I found yesterday down a back road near the forest. More pics of the jeep as I approached with caution, (sorry sjanes, but they are germane to the story) no damage to the vehicle but it looks as though Samford had quite the time over the holiday weekend.

So after I recycled the evidence and got him cleaned up, he says "take me back to the woods". We traveled by bike of course (no worrys sjanes, he was never transported by vehicle other than by his own doing. I know the rules but he.....well, he's a gnome and gnomes are unruly and unpredictable by nature) past by Sycamore Cycle to air up my suspension on a-count of the heavier load, and headed towards the forest.

In all the preperation to get him back to the woods, I had completely forgotten about my call to the police the day before, reporting my jeep had been stolen by a gnome. Since they had an APB on him, one of Brevards finest had no problem spotting him sticking out of my pack. Not having ID on myself they assumed I was an accomplice or possibly harbouring a fugitive.

Once I was able to identify myself as the one who reported the crime I had to confess the situation I found Samford in. Sorry to rat on ya Samford but it helped me outta trouble. He was questioned by the officer, only briefly detained but ordered to check into the local rehab for the night.

I hope to see him this afternoon if they release him, and complete our journey...with him as a slightly reformed gnome, we can only hope.
    Pisgah Forest NC

Gnome
    I'll get you for this Fat Lier Goose!

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-brevard-pd-1.jpg

This is going to leave a mark on my record.
    If you don't understand my silence,
    how are you going to understand my words?

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Chill Samford, all is good.

I took you back to Bracken cuz you said that was the best new trail system ever and you like it there just fine and wanted to check it out some more.

I put you below those twin rocks you said were so cool that you can see the tops of from the trail. I made sure that was within ear shot of running water cuz you get thirsty, and not too high up the mountain. You mentioned how fine the craftsmanship was on the bridges there and I had to agree. I hope you like yer new digs.

See ya little buddie. Peace out.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hope Has anyone tried to hook up the little man?

I bet he is bored as **** out there? I do bet he can hear a ton of free music where he might be and I have seen a hippie crib on the side of the road that has about 9-11 of his kin gnome brothers on guard from the deck on the way to BMR, maybe he is hold up with them.

Obie

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by obieone View Post
    I bet he is bored as **** out there? I do bet he can hear a ton of free music where he might be and I have seen a hippie crib on the side of the road that has about 9-11 of his kin gnome brothers on guard from the deck on the way to BMR, maybe he is hold up with them.

Obie
    We made a feeble attempt several weeks ago. It is not worth riding Bracken again to find him to me.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    It is not worth riding Bracken again to find him to me.
    Momma always said, "if ya got nuthin' good to say, then don't say nuthin' at all."

Oh, wait.....then you'd never post on MTBR again.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    I second that..we couldn't find him and can't seem to find the motivation to go look again. Maybe after it dries up a bit..?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The wife and I saw him 3 weeks ago. Pretty simple clues. We let him be in our rush to get back to trails actually worth riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose View Post
    Chill Samford, all is good.

I took you back to Bracken cuz you said that was the best new trail system ever and you like it there just fine and wanted to check it out some more.

I put you below those twin rocks you said were so cool that you can see the tops of from the trail. I made sure that was within ear shot of running water cuz you get thirsty, and not too high up the mountain. You mentioned how fine the craftsmanship was on the bridges there and I had to agree. I hope you like yer new digs.

See ya little buddie. Peace out.
    He aint dare

ready to ride
    :grrrr
    A flogging with a pillow sack full of door knobs should be bestowed upon the gourdhole who corrupted Samford. Hopefully he has made his way out of pretenda-pisgah and is well o his way back to the land of gnomes and honey.

gnomes speed my thirsty friends....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Upset Confirmed he is missing

Went out to check on Samford Saturday, Jan 19, and he is definitely missing. Who's the rat bastard who has kidnapped him?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-photo.jpg  

H8 H8 H8
    Somebody should post a "Missing Gnome" sign at the Bracken kiosk. He was probably carted off by a hiker.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Rogue Exterminator
    Somebody may have picked him up thinking he was discarded junk and not part of a game.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Somebody should post a "Missing Gnome" sign at the Bracken kiosk. He was probably carted off by a hiker.
    That spot was good little ways off trail . Dont think they could have seen him unless knew it

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    That spot was good little ways off trail . Dont think they could have seen him unless knew it
    Exactly. It was 30ft off an embankment behind a couple boulders. You had to know the location from following clues and pics from this thread. It is possible someone climbing around there could have found him but no way he could be seen from the trail. I miss him.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    commies

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    commies
    Doubt it's commies, most of them like bikes, the socialist too.

Ultra-right-wing bicycle haters is a good guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Doubt it's commies, most of them like bikes, the socialist too.

Ultra-right-wing bicycle haters is a good guess.
    Its not the bikes they hate its short bearded people:

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    I think I saw samford in Gnomesville at the end of the video, if it was him he got a pretty good extreme makeover.
    Click below for page with video.
    There's no place like gnome! | Riding | Chop MTB

Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Maybe he will be working a checkpoint for p36?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Maybe he has just left for a while to apply for unemployment and receive his EBT card. That's the American way right??

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfeltnine View Post
    Maybe he has just left for a while to apply for unemployment and receive his EBT card. That's the American way right??
    Hey, ncfeltnine, leave your political agenda **** to facebook. This is a place where people come to have a good time.

mtbr member
    anyone heard from Samford?
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

endlessgirl
    Anyone heard from Samford? His cousin' been looking for him...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

mtbr member

What a long strange trip its been...

Word of Samford's disappearance traveled far and wide. Eventually the news got to Shamford, Samford's Scandinavian cousin. To pay respects, and to solve the mystery, Shamford began traveling towards the States. By the time the gnome made it stateside, a rumor of a Pisgah-wandering troll surfaced. What is this? Maybe he had information about Samford. So Shamford set off to catch up with this troll..the gnome found him a bit off the path, and some distance from his original napping place (maybe a squirrel carried him for a little bit, trolls are pretty small).

Although the troll was surly, and completely unhelpful in the search for his cousin, Shamford took the little guy under his wing and showed him a thing or two about being a traveling, adventure-loving gnome!

But as the pair frolicked and explored the forest, Shamford felt like something just wasnt quite right. He felt like he had some unfinished business..somewhere out there in the 'real world.' He wasnt quite sure, but he had the strong urge to travel north, spread the word of Pisgah, and then return to the forest that already strangely felt like home to him. So, he left the little troll in the woods, and ventured back out of the wilderness.

Shamford left the troll near the top of Greenslick trail. Continuing up the doubletrack (485) just past the top of Greenslick (like 100ft-ish), there is a pile of downed tree limbs on the right side of the trail. Look up the slope to see the rest of the downed tree. The troll is balanced on the tree trunk that is suspended above the ground. (not as dangerous as it sounds).

Shamford vowed to return to Pisgah soon to carry out the gnome legacy, but had some unfinished adventuring to do before he commited himself to the forest. 'I will be back, sweet Pisgah! See you soon!'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-photo-6.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-photo-8.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-photo-9.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-photo-10.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-photo-11.jpg  

mtbr member
    SHAMFORD SPOTTED.

​mountain biking is fun.

Rogue Exterminator
    LOL, Shamford likes Papas too.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

The Troll is on a Roll...

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-100_8109%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member

travelin' troll

We picked up the troll and took him a little closer to the big woods. We stubbled upon a hidden geocache and the troll decided thats where he wanted to stay. Always the party animal, and with a reputation of being quatro times the crazy of other trolls, he's hanging with a bevvy for the next ones to find him
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-20130815_140805.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-20130815_140635.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-20130815_140617.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Unless someone has the troll in their possession, as of Friday morning around 10am, it looks like the troll might have gotten eaten by a bear. I stopped by to check on him and the geo cache items were out in the open, the drink can was ripped to shreds, and the troll missing.....

mtbr member

No t, No shade, gurl! But...

Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    Unless someone has the troll in their possession, as of Friday morning around 10am, it looks like the troll might have gotten eaten by a bear. I stopped by to check on him and the geo cache items were out in the open, the drink can was ripped to shreds, and the troll missing.....
    Im kind of having a hard time believing that. Really?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Really,

Rogue Exterminator
    Haha, sorry but this is funny.

Probably some smell on the can that caused the bear to investigate.
    Leaving food/drink in the forest....brilliant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    wow, you are an expert on bears too?

Rogue Exterminator
    Doesn't take an expert to figure out not to leave food/drink in the forest even if they are sealed.
    Also doesn't take an expert to figure out that leaving the troll with a geocache is also not the brightest idea.

Got any other questions for me that you can't figure the answers out for yourself?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    so, you are a non bear expert?

Rogue Exterminator
    Didn't say that.

Why do you want to know? Are you seeking a bear expert?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    why do you want to know if I am seeking a bear expert?

Rogue Exterminator
    Why do you want to know if I am a bear expert?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    why do you want to know why I want to know if you are a bear expert?

Rogue Exterminator
    Why do you want to know why I want know why.....awe fvck it, gingers have no soul.

Let me know if you need a bear expert.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    bwaahahahaha

Official Cooler Inspector
    Bear related: Either of you "experts" have fence repair skills?

Painted Statues Hidden in the Woods related: Undisclosed time, undisclosed location - I saw something in a trash can I recognized and snagged it. This is not a clue, just something that's been in my basement. Maybe someone of the originating ilk would like to have these items for display. Mr. Snips does not need the beads to bat.

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-swag_813.jpg
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

Rogue Exterminator
    Shamford sighting.

He did the Save Trails ride and had a great time with all that showed up.

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-1146670_10200343772183786_193745939_n.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234