Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Will do. Didn't know there were two threads.

edit: done posted on the ppg thread as well

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I bribed pb29 (with Papas & Beer and iced coffee) into telling me where the gnome was stashed. I found him at the intersection of Ingles Field and the Ingles Field Connector:

We chatted for a bit. I was happy to have a chance to meet him.

He is very stoic..seems like something years of hard labor and hard times would do to a man..or little man-gnome.

I put on the beads and asked him if he was ready to roll!

He declined. The gnome remains at the intersection of Ingles Field and the Ingles Field Connector on the uphill side of the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Maida may have to make the call here.... pb29, you should post these photos to the PPG thread too....
    From the rules on the very first page: "The next person has to ride to the same spot and take a similar picture to prove that they were there"

There was no first picture at the previous spot.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes View Post
    From the rules on the very first page: "The next person has to ride to the same spot and take a similar picture to prove that they were there"

There was no first picture at the previous spot.
    I don't think there are any points for the Gnome game. Just the picture game.

FYI someone is hunting early in the morning for Sam.
    Last edited by Logover; 08-27-2011 at 05:40 AM.
    VP Pisgah Area Sorba
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

When did you get here?!?!
    The Gnome had quite the adventure today. The plan was to take him to Bent Creek Gap to reunite with the PPG but.... in the end he went on a 19 mile adventure ride. We misnavigated trying to take Tony Michaels to the BRP and ended up in Enka. So we took the road back to Bent Creek, stopped by the pumptrack, and in the end returned the Gnome to Ingles Field at Ingles Field Connector. (photos out of order)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1010086.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1010088.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1010099.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1010101.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1010105.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1010150.jpg  

Last edited by pisgahproductions; 08-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    The Gnome had quite the adventure today. The plan was to take him to Bent Creek Gap to reunite with the PPG but.... in the end he went on a 19 mile adventure ride. We misnavigated trying to take Tony Michaels to the BRP and ended up in Enka. So we took the road back to Bent Creek, stopped by the pumptrack, and in the end returned the Gnome to Ingles Field at Ingles Field Connector. (photos out of order)
    You got some big air in that first pic Eric!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Gnoming Pisgah

After the excessive elevation on Sat. and not getting anywhere Gnome attempted to get to up to the top of Bent Creek Rd as previously planned. No luck, his Asthma really acted up. He's snoozing up the hill from the South Boundary and 5000 intersection. Head for the rocks via a short steep hike up the trail. You might note he has a bandaid on his head. He was thrown off the trail when a gentlemen passed us and needed a little more room than anticipated. Why so far off the trail and hidden? Could be he just needed some R&R or that there was a "misunderstanding" on what the goal of Gnoming was about. Anyway, he''' hopefully get the rest he needs to make it back up to the BRP spot soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-img_0533.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-img_0535.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-img_0538.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-img_0539.jpg  

Official Cooler Inspector
    No way you took these photos... Blondes know how to focus. Welcome to The Game(s).
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Looked for the gnome. No luck. Anyway to get a bit more detail on where he is? I rode around on 5000 and looked at some maps and have no idea where south boundary and 5000 meet???

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No luck today. Looked around and couldnt find anything that matched the pictures or the description. I dont think South Boundary and 5000 intersect, so Im not sure where the Gnome is.

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Details...

After my lovely wife spent some time with Sam(ford) yesterday morning, I decided to go visit with him myself. My grand plan was to ride my cx bike from our house in East Asheville out to Bent Creek and then take him someplace he has yet to see. A secret and mysterious spot...

Everything was going great until I reached the Gnome's 1/2 mile sphere of mischievous influence, at which time I cut the sidewall of my tubeless cross tire. I instantly realized that I had brought my MTB ride pack, which contained zero road tubes, of course. I had to walk out to 5000 in hopes of hitching a ride out to get some crappy AT&T cell coverage and calling for help. I considered walking to get Sam(ford) but remembered that he gets violently carsick, and decided to leave him be.

After finding help from several folks, including Logover (thanks) and Ben from Liberty Bikes (thanks), I got home safe and sound.

To recap, after the tour of Candler with Pisgahproductions and yesterday's adventure, I've now ridden around 45 miles and moved Sam(ford) exactly zero distance.

My favorite thing about all this silliness is that the Gnome has convinced me to do things I would have never considered as part of my ride plans otherwise. He's helping me live a boundary free existence!

Finally, I have more detail on his current whereabouts.

It's not S. Boundary Rd, it's South Ridge Rd and 5000. Turn up S. Ridge Rd past the gate. Look for the unmarked trail heading uphill on the right. He's hiding on the left side of the trail before a steep pitch up.

Neither Singletrackmspiggie, nor I rode on this trail, as that would be irresponsible use of the forest.
    Dirtbag since '89

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Pig View Post
    It's not S. Boundary Rd, it's South Ridge Rd and 5000. Turn up S. Ridge Rd past the gate. Look for the unmarked trail heading uphill on the right. He's hiding on the left side of the trail before a steep pitch up.
    Just so we are clear, you mean Bent Creek Gap rd (479) and South Ridge Rd, correct?

I was right there yesterday, but I couldnt pull it together!

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08 View Post
    Just so we are clear, you mean Bent Creek Gap rd (479) and South Ridge Rd, correct?

I was right there yesterday, but I couldnt pull it together!

Yeah, that's close to the spot. We'll get our directions together eventually. Only been riding Bent Creek for 20 years...
    Dirtbag since '89

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Rode up BC Rd took a left at South Ridge then walked up said trail on the right. No gnome to be found at the first smaller set of rocks. About two hours later we came down this trail and did not see the gnome at the BIG rocks either.

It's either very well hidden or someone nabbed it before 5pm.

So for me and Mr. Poss the Gnome Adventures get a big fat..
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist View Post
    Rode up BC Rd took a left at South Ridge then walked up said trail on the right. No gnome to be found at the first smaller set of rocks. About two hours later we came down this trail and did not see the gnome at the BIG rocks either.

It's either very well hidden or someone nabbed it before 5pm.

So for me and Mr. Poss the Gnome Adventures get a big fat..
    I think you guys were too late and the Gnome was taken hostage.

Hostage situation / Negotiator needed!!!
    VP Pisgah Area Sorba
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

mtbr member
    I'll tell you where he isn't. He isn't near any dang INGLES FIELD /INGLES FIELD CONNECTOR sign. Or a log within a football field's perimeter. Dang it! DANG IT!!!!!
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

banned
    I know EXACTLY where the Gnome is.

The little guy is being treated well and will be held until all the hostage takers demands are met.

banned
    Well apparently Maida deployed his personal Seal team 6 to retrieve the gnome. Equipped with 2 of those stealth helicopters.Nothing went as planned, one helicopter crashed on site and the other crashed on the return trip. The gnome took friendly fire, He was SHOT twice but managed to parachute out before crashlanding.He is at the outer limits of boundries but he is on the parkway,resting on top of that big rock.Do you know where he is?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnome-003.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnome-006.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnome-008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did you ride him out there on a bike? If not, wtf? If so, that's a long ride.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    Did you ride him out there on a bike? If not, wtf? If so, that's a long ride.
    Well yeah I pedaled my DH bike on the parkway, here's a pic of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-sick1.jpg  

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane View Post
    Well yeah I pedaled my DH bike on the parkway, here's a pic of it.
    Those Deemax wheels really set the 951 off! When's my seat gonna be here?

person

The Gnome returns!

Well,
    The Gnome stopped in the Tavern again today. Apparently hitched his way down the hill. Had a visit with Author Melissa Watson and then disappeared. I think he left with her ?
    [IMG]gnome[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Did anyone check to make sure he had his membership card?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

person

The Gnome Lives !

Posting for Melissa:

Samford began with a little jet-lag from his loooong journey back from afar....near Waynesville. Zach was kind enough to retrieve him and bring him back to the Pisgah Tavern for a nice cold ale!

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 1[/IMG]

After refreshing his palette, the Pisgah Gnome was ready to hit the trails!! So.....he decided that it's been quite awhile since he's seen his old friend Tom. Off he went......

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 2[/IMG]

Ahhh.....from the TH, Samford headed down to the river.....in years past, this river saw many a saw and grist.

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 3[/IMG]

After crossing the river on a great suspension bridge, Sam followed the river a short way before veering off to the right.

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 4[/IMG]

Being that good ole Samford was tagging along with some flatlanders, he was ready for a snack.....so.......we stopped and noshed on some nuts at this TH after a small snack, we headed east on the trail and headed downhill over a few whoopdeee's and......

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 5[/IMG]

OH my!! We're HERE!! Sam's reached his final destination.....it's here, northeast of the little log bridge.

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 6[/IMG]

Sam was hanging with Melissa Watson, author of FalconGuides: HIking Waterfalls in North Carolina. Chilling by a waterfall! Literally......it's chilly here!! Come and get me....I'm freezing my nuts off.....doh.

[IMG]pisgah gnome pic 7[/IMG]

mtbr member

Go Gnome or Go Home!

Big day in Pisgah's playground! The gnome has moved from Squirrel to Bradley, maybe Riverside. Have company at the moment, pictures will come later when I can post. But in summary, BIG ASS TREE in FIELD between the second and third water crossings from Squirrel down. Third crossing has the double lined cable bridge and is the last crossing before Laurel Creek Trail comes down and before 5015 goes up. Tree branch touches the ground on the right when viewing from the trail headed toward cables. Climb the branch from the ground, Samford is eight feet up. Good luck!

My route:

Laurel Mountain parking lot, Laurel Mountain, Pilot, back to car. Switched to squishy bike then back down Yellow Gap Road, to Wolf Ford, gauging station, South Mills to Buckhorn and encounter with four bears, then South Mills to bridge at Squirrel Gap intersection. ALL OF SQUIRREL, gnome ramble, down to Bradley, intersect with 5015, up 5015, to car still parked at Laurel Mountain.

35.2 miles, 4,500 feet ascent. Hmmm. That doesn't sound right but we'll go with it at the moment. Solo. 4 riders and 4 bears seen all day. Just like I like it.
    Last edited by "CHIEF"; 09-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast