Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahproductions View Post
    Samford was on the move today. I grabbed him up from where Jimi had dropped him yesterday then continued up the hill. The route was going to take him over to Avery Creek but he was a crabby SOB today and kept saying Turkey Pen! Turkey Pen! rather loudly in my ear. I was game until the hail started. I was full of excuses: hail, not enough food, not enough 'supplies' but he was insistent and like a zombie I kept climbing all the way to Turkey Pen Gap trail. I told him that rain and hail were not my thing and that I was done and I dropped my bike. I walked in Turkey Pen Gap trail 100 steps. I turned left and walked up the hill 50 steps and dropped his gear. I then walked another 25 steps, uphill, and stashed him behind a big tree.
    Nice, he's within sight of his original Pisgah location - too funny.
    many gears, some pies

person

The Gnome has moved ! (A bit)

I've just been informed that the Gnome has moved again.

"He's doing trail work on Black Mountain" is all I was told.

Good luck
    Jimi

drunken pirate
    Yep, I spotted Samford doing trail work on Black on Friday afternoon. He was less than a half mile from where he was last dropped working on some grade dips and closing a cheater line. He said he was going to hole up in a hollow at the base of a big tree about 50 yards downhill from where he did the trail work. Find the work, find the tree and find the gnome!

Here is the site of the rouge trail work. This fellow from New Hampshire seemed a little curious as to why I was playing with a garden gnome all the way up there

And here is the tree a little ways down the trail he is living in:

His McCloud broke and he seemed rather bitter about the shoddy piece of equipment giving out so easily on him.
    Last edited by driftwood; 01-30-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Gnome

I was wondering how long it'd take!

Oh, my equipment isn't shoddy, just the way I've been handled. WTF!
    And what's with the damn tape? Nega..... Pleaze!
    If any of you ladies wanna come up and save me, please bring some moist wipes, I need a sponge bath, bad.

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-g-020212-1.jpg

I had to send it in to the shop to get fixed. Maybe I should go with a carbon handle.......

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-g-020212-2.jpg

BTW From one trail maintainer to another. You guys rock. Us Gnomes need as much help as we can get, BUT........
    Please, you guys need to move a LOT more dirt to make what your trying to do, work. Water is a very powerful thing.
    Jus sayin. I don't want anyone getting butthurt. I know it's a thankless job, believe me, I know.
    Last edited by Samford; 02-02-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    If you don't understand my silence,
    how are you going to understand my words?

drunken pirate
    It is kind of hard to move a lot of dirt when you are 16" tall and have a McCloud that breaks as soon as it hits a hard spot

The rolling grade dips (lol) further up the trail are working well though. Water is leaving the trail. They won't last forever, or even very long, but they are better than not doing anything.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

person

Broken McLeod already ?

This is why we cant have nice things.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Headed up Black Mtn today. I knew Samford might be lurking about so I tried to sneak past quietly. Then we heard: "I have pizza and beer!!!" I started pedaling hard in the opposite direction. My friend didn't know about Samford so he was lured off into the woods. I yelled to him, "run away! He only wants you to give him a sponge bath!" It was too late, Samford had latched on to my friend. Andy took off down Turkey Pen trying to shake Samford loose while he hurled insults at us like, "you purple sissy swans can't ride" and "you two are cute lil daffodils!" At South Mills Samford pulled my shorts down, smacked my butt and ran off with my lunch! Things got blurry after that. I think in a hungry, embarassed rage I might have dunked him in every river crossing I could find till the brat turned blue. Judging from the pictures I also might have stranded him high up on a rock outcropping next to the river. Don't remember much. I'd suggest you bring pepper spray if you ride by there.
    On the downstream side of the cliff look up and you will see his gear hanging from a branch. Samford is above in a cave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-gnome1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      

drunken pirate
    Nice spot, puddleducky . We went by today to retrieve him but decided to just let him be for someone else to find

Last edited by driftwood; 02-06-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    wowwwwww

drunken pirate
    So, who is going to go and get Samford this weekend? Please, I beg of you, don't make me do it!

More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

When did you get here?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    So, who is going to go and get Samford this weekend? Please, I beg of you, don't make me do it!
    Clay,

You are the chosen one.

Clay on South Mills During The Most Horrible Thing Ever
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This morning's blizz would be perfect conditions to go!!! I'd be down with carrying you Clay across the river but got to go to a wedding

drunken pirate
    Samford is on the move again! I spotted him on his way up Turkey Pen Gap this afternoon . It sounded like he was in the midst of an epic day, I wonder where he'll finally lay his head tonight?

Clawhammer > Buckhorn > South Mills River > Turkey Pen Gap > Black Mtn > ?
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    When I saw samford he said he liked the seclusion of his cliff cave by the river but was ready to move. He kept talking about a cave with a great view of the sunrise. I told him I knew of the place and was heading that way. 12 miles of hanging on later we had arrived just in time to see the sunset. I said fair well and hoped I hid him well enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samford1.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samford2.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-samford3.jpg  

Last edited by smirniotisice; 02-21-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: adding pics

drunken pirate
    That's a good first post! I was truly impressed when I saw you starting up Turkey Pen Gap and even more impressed when I saw you had the gnome! Nicely played.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Don't Shoot the Messenger...

... but The Most Horrible Thing Ever has happened to Sam. Rescue him before noon tomorrow, or he will be burned at the stake.

That is all.
    Last edited by Singletrack Pig; 02-25-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: pic
    Dirtbag since '89

mtbr member
    Oh the humanity. Who woul do such a thing.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Sausage Fest? I like Snow Creek better.
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

endorphin junkie
    Tastes like chicken.
    Last edited by dobovedo; 02-26-2012 at 09:30 AM.
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

drunken pirate
    When I mechanicaled out of the most horrible thing ever just over an hour into the race I realized what we needed the most was the gnome so I adjusted my plans and after a 3am out and back to the top of Pilot Mtn. Rd I recruited ssjohn for a daybreak gnome freedom project mission.

Once safely back at camp we gagged and bound the little guy and robbed him of all the worthless crap he has acquired in his travels. Then, after a fair trial and plenty of notice of need of rescue, we burnt him at the stake!

More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Official Cooler Inspector
    No you 'dent... he had one of my do-nuts, I rubbed his feet and assumed he broke out of the bounds of electrical tape with a mad hormonal sugar rush up the hill. Did ya'll give chase? Show me the proof he's expired.
    WK: What year is this? (Friday, I wish... oh how I wish.)

double post

double post
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 02-27-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

The gnome escaped from his captors and hauled ass up the mountain on Sunday morning.
    Go to White Pines North to behind the crappers. Look East and find the first cairn. Follow the cairns to an old skid road. Follow the road about 1000 steps to this hollow log. Good Luck!
    (photos in reverse order)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1090525.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1090524.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1090522.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1090519.jpg  

Adventures with the Pisgah Gnome-p1090516.jpg  

ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member

The gnome has moved...

What the hell, Eric? That was ridiculous. That was wooden-nickel-ridiculous. I almost gave up, many times, thinking that no one in there right mind would have carried the gnome all the way out there. Or that it had already been picked up..But I continued to scramble under logs, through green briar, and up a crazy steep slope that had me using my hands to climb, because I couldn’t think of anything else I would rather have been doing. I was actually really surprised to look up and see Samford sitting in that log. What a crazy way to start a ride!

I didnt have a camera with me so I have no pictures, so I left Samford in an easy to describe spot...

From where Avery Creek Rd, Buckwheat and Bennett all meet up, go south on Bennett Gap. About 100-200 yards from the trailhead gate and sign, there is another helpful sign on your right. It confirms you are on Bennet and that the blazes are red..facing that sign, you will see a pile of debris (logs, briars) about 20-30 feet behind the sign. Samford is tucked under the logs.
    Last edited by LimeyPerp; 03-02-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeyPerp View Post
    What the hell, Eric? That was ridiculous. That was wooden-nickel-ridiculous. I almost gave up, many times, thinking that no one in there right mind would have carried the gnome all the way out there.
    Did the cairns help?
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast