Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

? about Star Gap

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  plume 
#1 ·
Shows as "hike only" on National Geographic map (#209). However, I've read somewhere on these forums that this is incorrect and that the trail IS open to bike traffic.

I'd like to check out Heartbreak without doing an "epic" ride. I live very close to the Kitsuma trailhead. Kitsuma>Young>Mill Creek>Star Gap>up Heartbreak>turn around? Or is Heartbreak not recommended in that direction?

#2 ·
Star Gap is perfectly fine. The map is wrong. Remember that ORAMM is a USFS sanctioned event and can use this trail.
Your route is OK, but keep in mind that the bottom of Star Gap is unsigned, it's just past the white church, you will also see some rope courses from a nearby scout camp. Look for a gravel double track to right. Go up this to RR tracks, cross tracks, cross creek, come to intersection with campsite. Go up the trail to the right, it's a hike-a-bike. From this point, it's abou 10 or so switchbacks in about 1 mile to a gap. At this gap, bear left- there's a goat trail to the right. About 25 yards or so later, stay left again- Right takes you down to Curtis Creek Road per ORAMM route. Continue up Heartbreak until you want to turn around, stop if/when you get to a big field, it gets confusing from there with several forks. This can be fun, but going up Heartbreak is no piece of cake. To get any of it in, give yourself at least 6 hours for total route. There are no signs indicating correct directions (thank goodness! something's still "wild"...), so please pay extremely close attention to where you've been and are going.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.