mtbr member
    Oct 2007

6 Hour Grind Endurance Challenge

The 6 Hour Grind on the "Greenway" is a 6 hour singletrack mountain bike challenge bringing friends and families together for day of fun on two-wheels. Whether you are new to mountain biking or a seasoned vet, the Grind on the Greenway has a category for you. After the event, all participants will be treated to a post race BBQ and beer party with Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. The Grind is a great way to wind down the season.

When?
    Saturday, October 13 from 10AM to 4PM.
    Early event registration through October 12
    Day of registration: 8:00AM to 9:30AM

Where?
    The beautiful and challenging Anne Springs Close Greenway
    Ft Mil, SC

The event will be held at Anne Springs Close Greenway mountain bike trails. The start/finish location will be at the Field Trial Barn. The course distance will be roughly 9 miles of awesome singletrack with a elevation gain of 805 ft at the 2300 acre park.

Registration is now open for this exciting event.
    Charlotte Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    I'm coming down to NC the week before the race (Huntersville), and plane on doing the race. I have been all over the event site but I would like some more information about the technical difficulty of the course. Is it very difficult?, moderately difficult?, not difficult at all? Also will there be a pit area to hold racers extra water and stuff?

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The mountain bike trails at Anne Springs Close Greenway are old school hand built singletrack. I personally think its a good mix of rooty areas, some flowy sections along a creek bed and short climbs. There is one swinging bridge you have to cross and four or five railroad tie bridges where they've put three railroad ties together to make a small bridge. As far as difficulty, it all honesty that's pretty subjective based on your skill level. I would classify the singletrack there as moderately difficult...very challenging for beginners or roadies but not too difficult. Its a beautiful piece of property.

Pits...YES. Participants set up tents all along the edge of the course for pit areas. We also provide neutral pit support with water and drinks, crackers, bananas, cookies and PB and J's. After the event, we have a BBQ dinner and cold beer.

mtbr member
    I did this race a couple of years ago and it was big fun.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    what are the rules for age categories? age at the end of the year, or current age?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    According to BRO, Blue Ridge Outdoor news print magazine, this race is consider a beginners race for endurance mtb racing, Sept 2012, page 51.
    Our top beginner bike rides to get you into the sport!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russssellll View Post
    According to BRO, Blue Ridge Outdoor news print magazine, this race is consider a beginners race for endurance mtb racing, Sept 2012, page 51.
    Our top beginner bike rides to get you into the sport!
    Good because I am a beginner!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Age for the category is actually your age on Dec 31.

Just an FYI, upon numerous request from mountain bikers here in the Charlotte area, we added the 50+ category to the race.

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17388

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NBOYD View Post
    Age for the category is actually your age on Dec 31.

Just an FYI, upon numerous request from mountain bikers here in the Charlotte area, we added the 50+ category to the race.

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17388
    Thank you very much. I am 56.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Come on down and join us.

Its a great race and after the event, stick around and enjoy some of the best brews around with Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. I'm hoping they hook us up with their Mectoberfest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NBOYD View Post
    Come on down and join us.

Its a great race and after the event, stick around and enjoy some of the best brews around with Olde Mecklenburg Brewery. I'm hoping they hook us up with their Mectoberfest.
    I will stop down this week to pre ride the course. Is there any one else doing this? Maybe we could meet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Crew is planning to start marking the route on Thursday morning. Not sure if it will be completed Thursday but probably close enough to follow, if you don't know the route.

mtbr member
    I rode most of it today. I must say if you call this a beginners course I don't want to see the elite course. I will not be racing on Saturday. My skill level is surely not up to it. I managed to crawl through the course at a snails pace but that ain't gonna cut it. Maybe next year. It is a beautiful place though. You guy's have some great area's to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I ride there once or twice a week, but have never raced. When I rode the course on Wednesday, I did it in 1:35. Certainly not a great time. Would it be okay if I entered, or would I be in the way too much after lap 2?

mtbr member
    The Greenway web site calls the trails intermediate to advanced and I would have to agree after riding them.