Thread: 29er Tires

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

29er Tires

Well, since the snow is now on the ground and looks like it will be for a few days in WNC at least, I thought you guys might be interested in helping me out a bit. I've got a 29er hardtail (my first 29er) and I've been riding it for a few months now. Love it! I'm riding 2.2 Mountain Kings right now and I like them a lot, but I'd like to do some experimenting with other tires. I live in Black Mountain and ride all of the Pisgah, Dupont type stuff. What are you guys using? Tubeless or with tubes? I've never done tubeless either and would love some advice on how to get started with that.

Help me out (and keep me entertained).

Thanks

drunken pirate
    I love Rampages front and back but they are heavy. Ardents are lighter, have less rolling resistance and hook up almost as good as the Rampages. CST Caballeros are a very good tire for the money. But nothing feels better in Pisgah to me than two Rampages

I run tubes. Tubeless is too much of a hassle for me as I'm rather lazy.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    i run Kenda Nevegal up front and Maxxis Ignitor in the rear (tubed) been a good combo for a rigid 29er singlespeed

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    I love Rampages front and back but they are heavy. Ardents are lighter, have less rolling resistance and hook up almost as good as the Rampages. CST Caballeros are a very good tire for the money. But nothing feels better in Pisgah to me than two Rampages

I run tubes. Tubeless is too much of a hassle for me as I'm rather lazy.

Lazy? Hassle? I felt a little bad throwing away those "tubes" you left in the EMD - because you must have had 20 hours of labor in each. Looked like you hand-crafted your own tubes by gluing patches together.

Anyway. Rampages in the winter for me. I need all the help I can get.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

Gabe.....
    I run whatever my friends "throw away"..................they are mostly round with knobs.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    Tubeless and 29ers don't seem to be a great combination for everyone. I'm curious to see the new UST 29" tires that come to market. Make mine tubeless specific for the rim, and the tire and I'm game - otherwise I agree w/ the sentiment, "tubeless is a hassle" - I've seen some oddball tubeless conversion setups... I can't even talk about it, it makes my head hurt.

I'll be grabbing a 29er hardtail this season and it'll be interesting to see if I can make the big tires hold air or not. Ever notice how 29ers flat more? I do.

I'm a big Ignitor fan, but since I'm on little wheels still, what do I know?
    My one says BRAP!

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    Tubeless and 29ers don't seem to be a great combination for everyone. I'm curious to see the new UST 29" tires that come to market. Make mine tubeless specific for the rim, and the tire and I'm game - otherwise I agree w/ the sentiment, "tubeless is a hassle" - I've seen some oddball tubeless conversion setups... I can't even talk about it, it makes my head hurt.

I'll be grabbing a 29er hardtail this season and it'll be interesting to see if I can make the big tires hold air or not. Ever notice how 29ers flat more? I do.

I'm a big Ignitor fan, but since I'm on little wheels still, what do I know?
    Lots of people run 29ers tubeless. And they even run non ust tires and rims without a problem. For me tubeless is a hassle because it is just one more thing I have to maintain, buy, etc. And I rarely flat, even at low pressure, so tubes work great for me. It has nothing to do with wheel size.

Congrats on moving up to big wheels. You'll be amazed at how well they hold air You might as well go ahead and sell your little wheel stuff now
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had good results running a ghetto tubeless setup on two sets of Bontrager 29" Race X Lites with Crossmarks, Ignitors, XDX's and Mountain Kings. Typically use 1.5 scoops of Stans per tire and run 26-28psi. So far, two burps in two years and no flats with lots of time in Pisgah, Wilson's and most everything else in NC.

Last winter, I spent most of the time with Mountain King 2.4s - sometimes a little sketchy on iced-over fire roads but good otherwise.

mtbr member
    Rampage front is the best I've used. Rear tires- like the Ignitor

Plume- your perspective on 29ers and flats is skewed by riding with me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Lot's of Rampages, huh? I've used Nevegals primarily with my 26er's and love them, but they seem a little big and knobby (I think the 29er Nevegal is a 2.2 size) on the 29er wheel and I'm wondering about getting away with less rolling resitance with a 29er since it has a bigger contact patch. How do Rampages compare to Nevegals?

BTW, love the 29er.

rob
    slakDawg
    I 32nd the Rampage up front, although the Ardent works for me as well. In the rear, I run what's mounted; typically Crossmark, Saguaro, Ignitor, Ardent.

Ardent work beautifully tubeless with Flow rims. I could inflate with a floor pump and seat the bead, and hold air without any goop. Of course, I did put goop in it before I rode, but much less bleeding than the Saguaro. The Saguaro worked as well. Only two I've tried.

eschewing obfuscation
    specialized tires are my favorites. in the winter i run a purgatory 2.2 up front and a captain 2.0 in the back. control version (not s-works), is the way to go in pisgah...
    tubeless, of course
    Last edited by 44gnats; 12-13-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    I used to swear by the Rampage but i have really enjoed my Specialized set. They hook up well. They are taller and let you run super low pressure.

WNC Native
    I like the Rampages also! Another one that hooks well on the rear around here is the Bontrager Jones ACX.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    My name is Mike and I am a tireholic:

I've tried:

WTB Prowlers- useless unless you like cut sidewalls and washing out..

WTB ExiWolf- Good rear tire, very durable, predictable. Useless front tire for me, when
    leaning it I suddenly noticed the lack of tall side knobs for some reason this does not bother me in the back

WTB Stout- great tire in the front but very heavy, Rampages works just as well and are much lighter

Conti Mt King 2.2- wore extremely fast but hooked up well while it lasted, never tried in
    front

Ignitor- see above, from an all-around perspective best I've used, use it in the rear
    Rampages- Best front tire I've used, gone through 3 on the front now, never a cut sidewall
    or torn knob only reason I don't use it in the rear is the Ignitor works fine and is lighter

Maxis Ardent- good tire but wore faster than Ignitor

Mt King 2.4- well, the side knobs rubbed my chainstays with the Gordo rim, so it was a
    workstand fail on the rear. Like this tire a lot on the front, works especially well in the thick leaves and snow, tall knobs punch through

Bont Jones ACX- Found the rear specific one very fast wearing but hooked up. Did not like the front model in the front but worked relatively well in the back- again, wore fast I may be mixing up Bonty branding on the rear specific tire, may be somethingh else other than the ACX

Intense, cannot remember brand name, only 29er they offer- like this tire a lot for hardpack and other racing conditions, hooks up suprisingly well

Kenda Nevegal- got them in the first production run and they de-laminated pretty quickly, warrantied and sold.

I've probably tried others, but cannot remember.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What about Schwable's or Hutchinson's? Any history on Nobby Nic's, Python's, Toros?

not so super...
    IMO the Ardent is a great all-around tire. It rolls really well, has great cornering, does a great job breaking and has been very durable. It also works well tubeless in Stans rims as most any Maxxis tire does.

Looking for something lighter and faster? Check out the Ikon. I recommend the EXO version. I ran these all summer on my 29 with no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Kenda Karma....tubeless...over the hills and through the woods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnsky
    Well, since the snow is now on the ground and looks like it will be for a few days in WNC at least, I thought you guys might be interested in helping me out a bit. I've got a 29er hardtail (my first 29er) and I've been riding it for a few months now. Love it! I'm riding 2.2 Mountain Kings right now and I like them a lot, but I'd like to do some experimenting with other tires. I live in Black Mountain and ride all of the Pisgah, Dupont type stuff. What are you guys using? Tubeless or with tubes? I've never done tubeless either and would love some advice on how to get started with that.

Help me out (and keep me entertained).

Thanks
    When you are considering tires also consider your rim width. Currently I am running a tubed Ardent 2.4 on a Velocity P-35 rim in the front and on the back an Ignitor with a 28mm Blunt rim. 25ish psi in the front and 30psi in the back. For my weight I can't get much lower than that even if I was tubeless. Haven't pinch flatted in 1 year plus of hard Pisgah riding. The rim width though can make tires do different things. Ran a Nevegal on a 23mm rim and it felt lacking and it needed more pressure. Put the same Nevegal on my 35mm rim and wow what a difference, corners better and feels like more tread contacting the ground but could be a clearance issue for some frames especially in the back.

For really fast(dry and no leaves) conditions the Karmas front and back are hard to beat. My next set is going to be the new Slant Six tires. Looks like a good all around tire for here. Maybe a Slant Six front and a Karma or SB8 for the back, now that just sounds fast.

mtbr member
    A tubeless set-up, with a tubeless-ready or standard tire, on a good tubeless-ready rim, like Stan's or Bontrager, should be far less hassle than tubes. I can run lower pressures with better ride quality and no thorn flats. I'm never going back to tubes.

I've tried the Rampage, Nevegal, many Bontrager (very underrated), Mountain Kings, Specializeds, Michelin, and some WTB. I'm on Ardents now, and I just ordered more.

Keep in mind that if you want any grip in the wet around here, go with larger, wider-spaced knobs and a softer compound. The tires that people rave about elsewhere don't always do so well here. You will give up tire life to get that extra grip.
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    A tubeless set-up, with a tubeless-ready or standard tire, on a good tubeless-ready rim, like Stan's or Bontrager, should be far less hassle than tubes.
    For shizzle - my maxxis (Crossmark, Ardent and soon to be IKON front and rear) tires on stans rims lose less air between rides than with I did with tubes...soo easy to set-up too. Just add some juice every few months thru the valve stem and you're golden

MTB B'dos
    Not from aroudn there, but if you liked the 2.2" Mtn King, then you might like the re-designed version even more Softer compound, completely different, more solid tread, but still open tread pattern for clearing mud.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics