mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2014 Southern Super D Regional Championship Series

We have us a series together for 2014!!! Below are known dates and the others should be firmed up within a week or so. I’m still working on series sponsors and as soon as those are locked in the flier can be completed.

1. CANCELLED – Danville, VA
    2. Tentative April 26th – Rocky Knob, Boone, NC
    3. May 24th – Uwharrie, Troy, NC
    4. June 28th – Hobby Park, Winston-Salem, NC
    5. August 17th – Dark Mtn, Wilkesboro, NC (Series Finale)
    6. TBD – Kolo Bike Park , Asheville, NC
    7. TBD – Kolo Bike Park , Asheville, NC

This a USAC series…good, bad or indifferent it’s what we got. Series will be best 5 out of 6 races. Danville, Uwharrie & Hobby Park will be run in conjunction with the Southern Classic XC races. Super D will be on Saturday and XC on Sunday.

Here is the class structure.

1.Pro/Cat 1 Men 19+
    2.Master Men 40+
    3.Cat 2 Men 19+
    4.Pro/Cat 1 Women 19+
    5.Cat 3 Men 19+
    6.Junior Men 15-18
    7.Junior Men 14/u
    8.Cat 2/Cat 3 Women Open

I should be able to post more details this weekend….pass the word and thanks for the support!
    Last edited by guard; 08-02-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    CYCLETHERAPY - INDUSTRY NINE - FORMULA BRAKES

http://brushymtncyclists.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Matt,
    Do you have a link to the events. I have emailed Gerry the details provided to put up on his website www.eastcoastenduro.com as well as the EastCoast SuperD Facebook page.

Many Thanks,
    Jarret
    Upstate Sorba

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    Matt,
    Do you have a link to the events. I have emailed Gerry the details provided to put up on his website www.eastcoastenduro.com as well as the EastCoast SuperD Facebook page.

Many Thanks,
    Jarret
    Upstate Sorba
    Nothing yet but will post as soon as I do. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Awesome. Less XC and endurance. More of this. Good to see Kolo listed, good excuse to try the rocky knob park!
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    website is up though its still being updated. also we're having to reschedule danville due to a foot race already being scheduled for that date. the reschedule date will be mid-summer. please checkout Southern Super D Series for more info and updates. thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hmmm maybe I'll have to break in the Bronson on one or a few of these races.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I, too, am interested in doing one or more of these races. This format seems like a good match to the kind of riding I currently do.

That being said, I have never done any kind of racing before, let alone a Super D. I have done my research and understand the differences between Enduro and Super D (Super D is more my speed I think) but do still have some outstanding questions that I'm hopeful someone will be able to share some insight:

1. What's the ideal bike for this kind of racing? 5"-6" full suspension trail bike? Is there a typical wheel size preferred? (promise I'm not trying to stir the pot - just trying to understand)
    2. I'm a 41 yr old beginner - would I be racing in the Cat3 19+ group?

Thanks for any insight that can be shared. And if there are other considerations, please point those as well. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    MostChillin, Great that you are considering racing. I'll take a stab at some of your questions:

1. It depends. Each trail in the series will differ in length, layout, and tread surface. And while the uphill/flat segments in these type of races are minor, each course will differ in that regard too. Personally, I'd say a LT trail bike is a good choice... especially at the location with "rock" it its name.

2. You have two options...the cat. you mentioned or Masters 1/2/3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    and registration for the Rocky Knob Super D is open. Registration info for the other venues will be forthcoming (and linked to the main calendar on the series website) when available.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank you for the follow-up and information, ncps - very helpful. I think I'll stick to the Masters group! I wasn't clear if there is a Masters 3 category based on the website but am clear now based on the registration.

I currently ride a hardtail but have been shopping for a long travel trail bike so I'm glad this aligns with the appropriate bike for this kind of racing. Going to the SE Bike Expo to decide if it's going to be a 27.5 or 29.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by MostChillin; 03-10-2014 at 06:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm very excited about this series! I bought a trance sx 27.5 last september and can't wait to rip it at these races. These will be my first experiences with racing a bike after coming from ATV motocross

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Website has been updated with a breakdown of year-end awards...$6k in cash & prizes!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Getting some questions about the Rocky Knob Course. Here you go: LINK. Hit "layers" at the top, and "Rocky Knob Super D" on the pulldown menu. Get some! Registration Site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Think I'll be good on a hardtail (Kona Honzo) here? I rode at rocky knob when it first opened before all the trails were complete, and I had a stumpy at the time. I'm leaning toward yes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Think I'll be good on a hardtail (Kona Honzo) here? I rode at rocky knob when it first opened before all the trails were complete, and I had a stumpy at the time. I'm leaning toward yes.
    You can roll with that for sure, but at faster race speed on a mostly downhill course you would definitely be more comfortable on FS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2014 Southern Super D Regional Championship Series

I'm riding my longer travel hardtail. Just signed up for the Rocky knob race! Super stoked!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Will there be camping available for Rocky Knob?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Will there be camping available for Rocky Knob?

Thanks.
    No camping at Rocky Knob. Grandfather campground in Foscoe is a popular camping location.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rocky Knob Super D Update

Course. The race course will use the Boat Rock descent and a bit of 'Ol Hoss, ending at the powerlines. This will be taped up Fri afternoon (4/25) and open to pre-ride through Sat morning.

Distance: 1.7mi
    Highest Elev: 3,922ft
    Lowest Elev: 3,556ft
    Elev Difference: 366ft

If you'd like to view the course, open the Rocky Knob Web Map, click "layers" at the top and "Rocky Knob Super D." The course will be taped and ready to practice Fri afternoon and Sat. morning.

Registration. This is open and starting to get some racers signed up. Please sign up online in advance (link below).

Schedule. We are still working on fine tuning this and will provide the final schedule the week before as well as in a race update email to the registered racers. The schedule on Pinkbike is where we are now, but it still may be tweaked slightly. The Racers meeting prior to the start will be at the finish line (powerlines), not at the parking lot.

Friday Social. Boone Area Cyclists will be hosting a social at Appalachian Mountain Brewery on Friday night beginning at 6pm. If you are in town the day before, definitely plan on going. There will be food available.

More info:

Southern Super D Series Home; Direct Link to Registration (USAC). Appalachian Mountain Brewery; Rocky Knob Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Kolo is just two weeks away. Registration is now open!

| ...experience Kolo Flow | …experience Kolo Flow

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Race #3 is this coming weekend at Uwharrie. Pre-registration is available on USACycling.

https://www.usacycling.org/register/2014-1232

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Race #4 is this coming Sunday at Kolo. Hope you can make it out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks to everyone that made it out today. I had my doubts yesterday after all the rain but the course was is pretty good condition. A big thanks to Mike (Cycletherapy) and crew for all the work...definitely a fun course! And also a big thanks for providing enough prizes for everyone that raced today!

The Danville race is officially cancelled. We may a super D later in the year but it won't be part of the series. The points structure is going to be modified to account for dropping a race. Instead of best 6 out of 7 races we are changing it to the best 5 of 6. Also the minimum number of races to received year awards is being dropped to 3 races. As a reminder you have to be present to receive year end awards.

Online registration is now open for the series finale at Dark Mtn which is just two weeks away. We will be using the same course as usual for Dark.

https://www.usacycling.org/register/2014-1425

Hope to see you there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just a reminder that the series finale is this Sunday at Dark Mtn. Hope to see you there!